Rules Lawyers, how do you deal with them?

LcKedovan

Explorer
Hi All,

I'm sure this has come up before, but how do you all deal with Rules Lawyers... I'm not talking the Lawful Good Rules Lawyers who point out mistakes that you made that are to the detriment of the party as well, but ones that are constantly reaching for the Player's Handbook in the middle of a session of combat or something. I come from the "have fun" school of DMing and sometimes I miss something, or make a ruling on the spot to keep the game going... I'd rather that than sit around discussing rules points during the session. Not to mention that a couple of the players are really new to the game (one shockingly enough being my finace) and they really hate it when that happens because to them it is very boring and pointless, they just want to get on with the game and enjoy. I won't even get into treasure distribution.... ;)

So what do you all do in situations like this? Do you stock up on your Rat Bastard (tm) rules and Rules Lawyer him with a nasty one-two combo that screws him over at a critical point, or do you just let it slide?

-Will

Moonlion

First Post
More often that not, I try to make a note to look up the rule in the future, but say "for tonight, it's this ____" to keep the game going.

I think by saying that the ad hoc ruling you're doing is only temporary quells fears that things will go back to "normal" (i.e. from the book rules) later.

I also try very hard to remember my ad hoc rule just in case I have to go back to it again. If I'm wrong on a rule--I at least try to be consistent with it.

Nothing is worse than inconsistency (and this might be one thing the rules lawyer fears--and rightfully so).

Geoff Watson

First Post
Know the rules.

I've found that most DMs who have problems with Rules Lawyers don't know the rules well, and just make rulings up on the spot. This really annoys people who do know the rules, and assume that their spell/ability/magic item/etc works as it is written in the book.

Geoff.

LcKedovan

Explorer
Geoff Watson said:
Know the rules.

I've found that most DMs who have problems with Rules Lawyers don't know the rules well, and just make rulings up on the spot. This really annoys people who do know the rules, and assume that their spell/ability/magic item/etc works as it is written in the book.

Geoff.

Yes, Well sad geek that I am I don't spend every evening poring over my Player's Handbook memorizing every rule in it. :rolleyes: Add to the fact that I've only just managed to scrape together a group here and so therefore am DMing 3e for the first time (and also after a long D&D hiatus in general, practically missed all of 2e) it is alot easier for a character to focus on exactly what his character has and how he can use it to his advantaged compared to the DM who has a lot of tasks to do in preparation. There is knowing the rules, and then there is arguing every little point and "interpretation" while in the middle of a game. :D

-W.

Last edited:

Probably...
I know much, but by far not everything. At least is it not as worse as with Shadowrun, where everybody believes to know the rule, but when anyone looks in the book it is at least slightly different from what everybody thought. :)

But one thing: It ain`t a rules lawyer if he searches for the rule in the book.
If he knows the rule when it comes up, than he is a rules lawyer. And these guys are helpful - you just ask them if you are unsure, they tell you the rule. If they don`t know, it is your decision if you look in the book or make a temporary rule.
If you have problem with a rule lawyer (or a wannabe rules lawyer), then tell him to wait for a question, or searching the passage when he is not busy and it won`t delay the game...

LcKedovan

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Probably...
I know much, but by far not everything. At least is it not as worse as with Shadowrun, where everybody believes to know the rule, but when anyone looks in the book it is at least slightly different from what everybody thought. :)

But one thing: It ain`t a rules lawyer if he searches for the rule in the book.
If he knows the rule when it comes up, than he is a rules lawyer. And these guys are helpful - you just ask them if you are unsure, they tell you the rule. If they don`t know, it is your decision if you look in the book or make a temporary rule.
If you have problem with a rule lawyer (or a wannabe rules lawyer), then tell him to wait for a question, or searching the passage when he is not busy and it won`t delay the game...

When the research all the rules they can use to their advantage, and memorize them then bring them up in the middle of a game and argue the point, I think that still qualifies as a rules lawyer in the basic sense of the term ;)
(for a laugh check out: http://www.gamerjargon.com/gamer3_index.html)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add that I agree, I think the suggestions for them to wait and not be disruptive are the best ones, though a little "in your face" rules action would be entertaining ;)

-W.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Scarab said:
Am I the only one who knows the majority of the rules after browsing through the PHB three times?

Nope! I'm the LG rules lawyer in the group, since I help out by reminding the DM and other players if they miss something, and it works out pretty well. Somehow the other players are always a little less happy when I remind the DM about stuff that works against the PCs, than when I remind the PCs about stuff that works to the detriment of their opponents. Wonder why :confused:

Tsyr

Explorer
Depends.

LG rules laywers get a "thank you", and I use the rule correctly.

Munchkin rules players get a "I'm the DM, sit yer arse down boy.", and will tend to run in to a scorpion in their boot next time they make camp. And I continue using the rule wrong just to bug them.

Remove ads