Rules Missing from the Rules Compendium

Atlemar

Explorer
The first thing I checked was weapons. No chart, as I expected. But also no brutal and defensive property, which were both introduced in Adventurer's Vault.

I'm very disappointed. I thought that was the point of this, to bring all the new rules and updates into one volume.

I am sad, that essential classes like the mage and warpriest don´t use rituals... the bard was on a good way to have rituals built into the class...

it would have been enough to make create water and resurrection a ritual and give it at this level for free... without giving a full rule writeup. Just like: during a short rest you can perform follwing ritual...

GRStrayton

First Post
I agree. I just created an Essentials wizard (mage) and used one of my feats (he's human) to take Ritual Caster. I love rituals -- all three of my groups use them every session. Especially Hand of Fate, Arcane Lock, Knock, Silence, Comprehend Language, Wizard's Sight, and a bunch of others, plus, of course, a Raise Dead from time to time.

Just wondering, since the "Full Discipline" keyword is there, if primal related keywords (like "Beast Form" or "Rage") are also mentioned...

My group loves primal classes and I would be sad if they are no longer supported...

Anguirus

First Post
There's a common theme to much, if not most, of what's not there. Items.

So are they just going to put all of the item rules in an Essentials book that deals with items? (I'm out of the loop so I have no idea if there is one.) Or just not worry about it since all those rules are in the Adventurer's Vault anyway?

This isn't necessarily a "nefarious plot" or wholesale rule change. It may just be that they hit their page count limit and decided to take out these sections, rather than cutting down all sections and making them lose coherence. Or it could be a combination of that with the "de-emphasized rules" theory.

The thing is, the basic rules are more than robust enough to deal with two (or more) entirely separate and parallel item systems. If I were them I would introduce the "rarity" system as explicitly separate and parallel to the existing "Adventurer's Vault, complete with price sheet," rather than making any attempt to change what's already out there.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I don't have the book in front of me but as I recall that is a faulty assumption. I believe it's a useful book for players and DMs. I was pretty impressed with it myself.

That's what I thought. It's the rules compendium right? Not the GM's Rules or the Player's Rules.

In the back of my head I can already hear players complaining that its too much to read ponder what they would have done back in the days of old school Rolemaster...

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Everyone has been asking about this, but let me just categorically state that there are NO seduction/romance/bow-chicka-wow-wow rules in the new Rules Compendium.

The Little Raven

First Post
The Rules Compendium has every keyword to date, except for the new Essentials mage ones (Evocation, etc).

The big oversights I see are...

...lack of vehicle rules.
...lack of weapon properties like stout, brutal, and defensive.
...lack of ritual rules.

Remove ads