D&D 5E Ruling Rope Trick

New spell ruling questions, this time about Rope Trick:
  • Is the portal that is generated intangible so that creatures and objects could move through its space?
  • If cast while on or in a moving object, like a vehicle, will the portal stay in place or move along with the object?
I ask because a friend of mine once mused that, depending on how you rule it, Rope Trick could hypothetically be used for covert entry of vehicles. For example, set the portal at the elevation where you expect the interior of a carriage to be within the hour to drop in, or if on one ship being pursued by another ship cast the spell in the hold, climb in, and wait for the portal to be situated inside the other ship's hold before quickly dropping out. However, this would effectively mean it would be impossible to use Rope Trick to take a Short Rest inside something that is moving, such as a ship or something more fantastical like a flying fortress.

Maybe it's adjacent to - or even a part of - bag world, i.e. the inside of everyone's bags of holding and portable holes.

I was thinking more of what closing the portal and thus shutting off the gravitational frame of reference would do to gravity inside the rope trick while the spell was still in effect.
Oooh! I remember some fanfic about the plane of holding. Was that Knights of the Dinner Table? That could be fun.

"Wow! Tough battle. Hey, Osric- we still have those casks of wine we looted?"

"Sure do! Give me a minute." Opens bag of holding. "Ahhh!"

"Pardon us- transdimensional mishap. Excuse me." "Coming through" "Hey, great jerky, who's your supplier?" "This wine was top shelf! Here's a bottle of brandy in return."

"Get... get out of our bag!"

"Trying to- excuse me."

Remove ads