D&D 4E Rumor control: Lucca 4e seminar report inaccuracies

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Najo said:
@Wulf: see this is the sort of thing that comes out of these discussions. Sounds like revoking the d20 liscense could impact your business. Maybe this is something we should figure out a solution too instead of telling me how dumb my idea is.

If you continue to beg a response by calling me out personally, I will be happy to give it to you.

EDIT: On second thought, I value my posting rights.

Last edited:

Najo

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
If you continue to beg a response by calling me out personally, I will be happy to give it to you.

EDIT: On second thought, I value my posting rights.

Wulf, this is going to far. I do not want any issue with you. I was not trying to be rude or sarcastic. I think the issue we are discussing here is important to the OGL and 4e compatiblity. I would prefer to please let this go and have peace between us, there is no need for hostility.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Najo said:
They could put a date stating that the liscense only applies to products released on or before that date, and anything afterwards cannot benefit from the liscense.

I expect you hit the nail on the head. My best guess is that as of the release of 4e there will be no more releases allowed under the D20 license.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Najo said:
It is not adding anything to their work load. They charge a fee, they give you rights to brand under the D20 logo and share the game design docs that are current at the time. Very simple. WOTC doesn't edit your product, they don't police it any more than now, they don't publish it for you, nothing like that. They just share their documents they are keeping in hosue right now, thats all.

If there is not some sort of review process by WotC before publication then there is no quality control. Giving someone the tools to create quality does not ensure quality.

metajock

Explorer
Real buisnesses and people's investments are at stake here. This effects the writers, developers, artists, publishers, distributors, brick-n-morter retailers, the online storefronts, all the way down to the very existance of the fanboy pages. I hope my previous post makes that point.

Deep breaths, please. Lets not let something this important become a locked-by-the-moderator thread. :heh:

*Meta crawls back under his rock and pulls out the big bottle of vodka* ;)

Najo

First Post
metajock said:
Real buisnesses and people's investments are at stake here. This effects the writers, developers, artists, publishers, distributors, brick-n-morter retailers, the online storefronts, all the way down to the very existance of the fanboy pages. I hope my previous post makes that point.

Deep breaths, please. Lets not let something this important become a locked-by-the-moderator thread. :heh:

*Meta crawls back under his rock and pulls out the big bottle of vodka* ;)

I second this. Let's keep thing positive and get Scott back in here.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
I think we are fairly far from getting locked.

I would suggest that no one that is in the business put real hope in some resurrection of the D20 license for 4e. While the arguments for it are good, the lack of any true benefit for WotC to give away (even for a fee) the in-house design documents leaves little chance for change.

Miar

First Post
tenkar said:
LOL... My job has me practicing my Diplomacy Skill on a daily basis. Keeping it high makes my day oh so much easier ;)

Not to detract from your train wreck but I really need to pay more attention when I read things. I missed the "it" in that sentence. :eek:

tenkar

Old School Blogger
Miar said:
Not to detract from your train wreck but I really need to pay more attention when I read things. I missed the "it" in that sentence. :eek:

Heh.. "high" and my job would be one hell of a train wreck ;)

Remove ads