• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rumor generation help

Mean DM

Explorer
What sources of rumor generation do people use? This is an under used tool in my GM toolbox. The true one's are easy to come up with, it's the filler ones that are hard for me. I've used the newspaper from time to time, but that is the extent of it. Are there any resources already out there (e.g., tables, programs, websites)?

Regards,
Mean DM

s/LaSH

First Post
I can't think of any single source. Instead, why not take inspiration from anything and everything you can find online? I refer, of course, to product teasers, free downloads, and all manner of things that could be in your game but aren't. Read some TSR/Wizards novels if you can find them in the library. Then throw everything you've got into background chatter, possibly replacing some of the names, maybe not - your players would sweat if they heard about some guy named Raistlin wandering around, even if he's just a fat dwarven tailor in your world.

I don't use rumours (rather rely on prophetic dreams, well-paying missions etc), but this seems like it could work...

Remove ads