WotC Rumor: OGL will not be supported starting with One D&D

Vaalingrade

Legend
You can find YouTubers saying that Disney is about to be sold to Apple.

"A YouTuber said it" isn't conclusive evidence of anything other than the algorithm working.
"Please like and subscribe and ring the bell to be harassed by your phone every day! Please watch my slow descent from humanity as the algorithm slowly crushes my uniqueness and creativity if I don't build a fanbase fast enough and the slow strangulation of the English language as I have to come up with ever more esoteric words for the 'naughty' language pretty much every other person on this earth is using now, transforming my serious nature documentary into a silly screed about how lions 'unalive' people."

Now D&D is not "the only coke bottle in the dessert" (the only option). Pathfinder can be a serious rival. And if players buy 3PPs for the lore of the settings, then they aren't worry too much about the changes in the "crunch".

Zardnaar

Legend
Great. Your 4-6 people aren't using 3pp.

Again, there are millions and millions and millions of dollars of 3pp D&D in production right now. It doesn't matter that your group didn't spend 100$ on it.

3pp 5e D&D is probably more valuable than all but 1 or 2 other RPGs.

Think D&D got 3/5 or 4/5 on top 5 RPGs not to long ago. There was 5E, Paizo, 5E again (some sort of spin off) and Kobold Press. Iirc.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
On the terminology bit, aren’t we already seeing that in the playtest packets? In ‘24 we’ll all be rolling d20 tests after all.
I do not believe that these changes would be sufficient to prevent third party interaction. It would have to be much more drastic a set of changes. In effect to release the new version under a different licence I would think that any claims to backward compatibility would have no credibility.
It would also hugely damage the goodwill of the company and goodwill is important. That should be a lesson learned from the 4e era.

JEB

Legend
I do not believe that these changes would be sufficient to prevent third party interaction. It would have to be much more drastic a set of changes.
Worth noting that before the 5E SRD was released, there were still third-party 5E products being produced by companies such as Kobold and Goodman. They repurporsed rules released under the 3.5 SRD to create 5E compatible material. When something 5E-specific needed a nod, and the 3.5 SRD didn't have something to repurpose, substitute terms such as "combat advantage" were used. It's easy to see something similar happening without a 1D&D SRD.

Remove ads