Rumours: WotC Announcement Today; Insider Email Reveals Plans

There's a couple of rumours going round today. I cannot verify either, but I'm reporting them as most of the recent OGL rumours have proven true. First -- it is rumoured that today at 3pm ET Wizards of the Coast will make some kind of video statement about the current Open Game License situation. This rumour came from the folks at Roll For Combat who were the first to break the draft OGL...

There's a couple of rumours going round today. I cannot verify either, but I'm reporting them as most of the recent OGL rumours have proven true.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

First -- it is rumoured that today at 3pm ET Wizards of the Coast will make some kind of video statement about the current Open Game License situation. This rumour came from the folks at Roll For Combat who were the first to break the draft OGL scoop.

[[UPDATE -- This didn't happen!]]

Second -- an email has been circulating from an anonymous WotC insider. Again, I must reiterate I cannot myself verify this, so read this with that in mind, but the email says:

Hi,

I'm an employee at WotC currently working on D&Dbeyond (DDB) and with D&D business leaders on the health of the product line. If you want I can provide proof of this.

I'm sending this message because I fear for the health of a community I love, and I know what the leaders at WOTC are looking at:

-They are briefly delaying rollout of OGL changes due to the backlash.
-Their decision making is based entirely on the provable impact to their bottom line.
-Specifically they are looking at DDB subscriptions and cancellations as it is the quickest financial data they currently have.
-They are still hoping the community forgets, moves on, and they can still push this through.

I have decided to reach out because at my time in WotC I have never once heard management refer to customers in a positive manner, their communication gives me the impression they see customers as obstacles between them and their money, the DDB team was first told to prepare to support the new OGL changes and online portal when they got back from the holidays, and leadership doesn't take any responsibility for the pain and stress they cause others. Leadership's first communication to the rank and file on the OGL was 30 minutes on 1/11/23, This was the first time they even tried to communicate their intentions about the OGL to employees, and even in this meeting they blamed the community for over-reacting.

I will repeat, the main thing this leadership is looking at is DDB subscription cancellations.

Hope your day goes well,

P.S. I will be copying and pasting this message to other community leaders.

If both rumours are true, I guess at 3pm ET today we'll find that out.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"Eh, tell them whatever. It's just internet noise."
(looks out the window, sees the crowd)
"Um...on second thought, let's schedule an announcement for this week."
(checks subscription data, sees 10K cancellations)
"You know what? We should have an internal meeting before we go public..."
(a brick flies through the window)
"Gaah! Reschedule that announcement! Shareholder meeting, shareholder meeting!!"

Last edited:

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
The whole point of the (leaked) OGL was that it was (apparently, allegedly?) sent to certain 3PPs in order to sign them up before it was unveiled generally. And done so with NDAs (non-disclosures).

In other words- you decide if you're going to sign off on this, under the veil of confidentiality, before it's officially announced. Which ... sorta makes sense (from Hasbro's point of view).

Honestly, some things still don't add up to me- I know that companies have to be very careful regarding the NDA, but it does seem odd that we didn't hear a peep or a mumble from any of the 3PPs that would have received this. I do know that it seems that several fairly large-ish ones are on the record as affirmatively saying that (1) they didn't receive it, and (2) they are making their decisions based on the leak.

Just all around weird.

I'm thinking they didn't actually care much about informing any 3PPs, big or small, and only sent this to their more intermediary partners such as Kickstarter (to get them on board policing the crowdfunding projects for them) and those they have existing contracts with (outside of the OGL) such as the VTTs that have direct licensing deals with them (to reassure them they'll be blocking other VTTs to make their license fee worth something). Possibly DTRPG for similar reasons to Kickstarter and because they have the DM's Guild stuff and to talk about how it'll push more stuff onto that rather than smaller 3PPs doing their own thing. Likely nobody who the new OGL would actually hurt directly.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The original Gizmodo article said the plan was to publicly announce the OGL 1.1 last week:

"io9's source indicated that the final version of the document was originally intended for release on January 4, which would have given companies and creators seven business days to agree and comply."
Yeah, that was what I thought I remembered. Thanks for finding that info!

So ... not sure if we're winning, but we are at least advancing.

Right now I wish I had a D&D Beyond subscription to cancel to send a message.

I hope we're advancing, but I'm more cautious. I worry that the delays are simply time for refinements of the message of "we're not going to change anything" to try and minimize the damage they intend to do. I would really like to be wrong. Really, really, would like it.

joe b.

Remove ads

Remove ads