RuneScape: World's Oldest Free MMORPG Comes To Tabletop

RuneScape, the game that started as a browser-based RPG in 2001, is coming to the tabletop! Two games have been announced -- a boardgame and a tabletop roleplaying game, both slated for a 2022 release. While the boardgame will hit Kickstarter this year, the RPG will not, and will instead head straight to stores. According to Wikipedia, RuneScape is "recognised by the Guinness World Records as...

RuneScape, the game that started as a browser-based RPG in 2001, is coming to the tabletop! Two games have been announced -- a boardgame and a tabletop roleplaying game, both slated for a 2022 release. While the boardgame will hit Kickstarter this year, the RPG will not, and will instead head straight to stores.

According to Wikipedia, RuneScape is "recognised by the Guinness World Records as the world's largest and most-updated free MMORPG" with over 200 million accounts.

38C93FDF-AFE1-440D-880E-1A5272A944ED.jpeg

RuneScape, one of the most popular and longest-running online role-playing video game franchises for PC, MAC, and mobile, is coming to tabletop gaming with two brand new games launching later this year.

Jagex, the leader in developing and publishing deep, community-driven video games and home to RuneScape, has teamed up with tabletop-gaming powerhouse, Steamforged Games, to create both a board game and tabletop roleplaying game (TTRPG) core book inspired by RuneScape’s rich fantasy world of Gielinor. Both games will make their debut in 2022, with the board game launching on Kickstarter and the TTRPG heading straight to stores.

Both games are set to delight RuneScape and Old School RuneScape’s player communities with fresh-but-faithful adaptations of classic quests and characters that weave iconic elements of the games into exciting tactile experiences reimagined for tabletop gaming.

The games will draw on adventures, characters, and locations from across RuneScape’s rich 21-year long history, with the board game taking between one to five players on quest-based campaigns through Gielinor. They will craft and upgrade equipment, upskill their characters, cook special recipes, engage with NPCs, and test their skills while exploring different regions of the world, with a variety of enticing side quests to distract and entertain them on the way.

The TTRPG will consist of a lavishly illustrated, hardback core book containing rules for players to run a RuneScape tabletop roleplaying game, in which they can build their own characters, explore Gielinor, and create unique and exciting quests. The TTRPG core book is also fully compatible with the fifth edition ruleset of the world’s favourite roleplaying tabletop game.

The RuneScape games will mark Steamforged’s twelfth adaptation of a video game for tabletop. Past adaptations have included the Monster Hunter: World board game, which grossed £3.4million on Kickstarter in 2021.

I never played Runescape. I loved playing Ultima Online but there's only so much time in the day. So back in the 00's I was playing 2e D&D, Ultima Online, Total Annihilation (later TA Kingdoms), and then got heavy into 3e by the time Runescape would have had a chance to squeeze in. The timing just wasn't there. I didn't run into Runescape again until recently. We hired a new night security guard to man the cameras at our warehouse and I saw him playing Runescape on his laptop. For the longest time I thought people playing Runescape was a meme or like a name nerds would drop to one-up each other, "I play EQ." "Oh yeah? I still play Runescape."

I suppose 5e would be an easy fit. Runescape is basically just killing things and getting money. That's murderhobo D&D right there.

Remove ads

Remove ads