DDAL Running a DDAL season as a home campaign

pukunui

Legend
Hi all,

Like [MENTION=6702445]jayoungr[/MENTION], I am considering running a DDAL season as an episodic campaign for one of my home groups. Advice I’ve read elsewhere is that most seasons’ adventures can be run in numerical order by tier in order to make a more or less chronological story.

I am leaning towards Season 3 (Rage of Demons) for thematic reasons, although the ability to easily mix in adventures from Lost Tales of Myth Drannor to plug gaps and/or continue the campaign is appealing as well. Season 2 (Elemental Evil) is probably the runner-up, although I find Mulmaster a little off-putting.

Has anyone else done this? If so, do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

I’m a bit concerned that some of the seasons don’t have a good enough spread of adventures across levels, so that I would end up having to plug some other short adventures in to fill the gaps. Would that be the case with Seasons 2 and 3 in particular? Or is there enough there to run PCs from Tier 1 straight through to Tier 3?

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

p.s. In case it isn’t obvious, as this will be a home campaign, I’m not fussed about AL rules and restrictions.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Just use milestone advancement, and you should be fine. :)

Season 2 has nine Tier 1 adventures and six Tier 2 adventures.
Season 3 has six Tier 1 adventures, seven Tier 2 adventures and two Tier 3 (8 hour) adventures.

Cheers!

pukunui

Legend
Just use milestone advancement, and you should be fine. :)
Are there any guidelines for using milestone advancement in AL adventures? I was going to use XP since it's nicely built-in, but I do actually prefer milestone leveling myself.

Also, I note on your blog that you've run Season 3 several times now. Do you have any tips on running it as an ongoing campaign? Any issues I should look out for?

Do you know if there are any additional resources for the Moonsea region - e.g. maps and such? Or will I need to scrounge up older edition maps of the area?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Are there any guidelines for using milestone advancement in AL adventures? I was going to use XP since it's nicely built-in, but I do actually prefer milestone leveling myself

As I understand it no. There are some rules to help move borderline characters to the next tier. I think using downtime. A DM did that for me once, but it was a while ago and I don't remember the rules. Besides, there have been some pretty big updates to the AL rules since then.

But are your player planning on following AL rules for their characters so that they can use them in other AL games? For example, are you enforcing PHB+1. Are you not allowing them to keep found treasure? If not, then the characters are unlikely to be AL legal. But if this is just for your home game, who cares?

I've run a number of AL games for my home game, but not an entire campaign. What *I* would do, is determine all the adventures you'll use in your campaign. Easiest is to just stick to adventures in a specific season and run them in order. Then, just level up the characters to meet the suggested levels for that adventure. You can just select one adventure for each level, or, if you want to run ALL the adventures for that season, have them play two or more adventures at certain levels. I wouldn't worry too much about WHICH adventures you keep them at the same level. The AL modules do a good job advising you how to tweak the difficulty based on the number and levels of characters.

pukunui

Legend
But are your player planning on following AL rules for their characters so that they can use them in other AL games? For example, are you enforcing PHB+1. Are you not allowing them to keep found treasure? If not, then the characters are unlikely to be AL legal. But if this is just for your home game, who cares?
No, the AL rules and restrictions don't appeal to me. I just want to run AL adventures for my home group.

Then, just level up the characters to meet the suggested levels for that adventure.
The problem is that the optimal levels don't go in an even spread.

Season 2 has one adventure with an optimal level of 1, five adventures with an optimal level of 2, four adventures with an optimal level of 3, three adventures with an optimal level of 6, and then three adventures with an optimal level of 8.

Season 3, meanwhile, has two adventures with an optimal level of 1, five adventures with an optimal level of 3, seven adventures with an optimal level of 8, one adventure with an optimal level of 12, and one adventure with an optimal level of 13.

Season 2's spread isn't too bad, and some of the adventures could be up- or downgraded to fill in the gaps. Season 3 seems a bit more sporadic, with nothing between 3rd level and 8th level and nothing between 8th and 12th.

Perhaps I'd be best off running Season 2 in that respect.

This is also why I'm thinking XP might be useful, even if it's not my preferred option.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
My tip is to read, or at least skim, all the adventures first so you know how they fit together and what things would benefit from some foreshadowing. Introduce characters early who are going to become important later, so the players have some connection with them. Then when their time comes to play major parts in the story, you can just say, "Remember So-and-so, from the market? She comes to you looking worried..."

I'm using regular XP advancement in my season 4 campaign, and it's working fine. I like the fact that each adventure tells me how to tweak it for parties of lower or higher level than the intended, so I feel like where they are is never a big deal. Does season 3 not do that?

If you do want to use milestone advancement, then I suggest planning where the "tentpoles" of the campaign will be: where are the endpoints of each mini-arc? Then parcel out the adventures leading up to each "tentpole" so that players are the right level when they reach them.

pukunui

Legend
Thanks for the tips, [MENTION=6702445]jayoungr[/MENTION]!

I’m actually thinking Season 5 might be the best one to start with.

Last edited:

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The Tier 1 of Season 5 is *awesome*. Tier 2 & 3 are fine, but I love the Tier 1 story.

As for the Tier 4 of Season 5 - it would have loved having access to Volo's Guide to Monsters, but that came out very soon before the deadline. (My players still had a lot of fun, though).

Cheers!

pukunui

Legend
Thanks, [MENTION=3586]MerricB[/MENTION]!

I was looking at a post on your blog and came up with another option: I could follow the story of the Moonsea seasons and run Season 1 all the way through, then move on to the Tier 2 mods from Season 2, then move on to the Tier 2 and/or 3 mods from Season 3 and maybe some Lost Tales as well.

Would that be doable?

So many options!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I very much enjoy the arc of Season 1 (which has more stand-alone stories), but builds to the Cult of the Dragon attacking Phlan. After those 14 adventures, we move into a sequence of tales about what happens to the people who flee Phlan, which is a theme in Seasons 2 & 3. I regret that it was abandoned after that, though a few CCCs refer to it.

Cheers!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases