• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Running a session of Basic D&D -- my game group's experience

Tav_Behemoth

First Post
I disagree that you can't run a sandbox module like B1 as a one-shot. The trick, I think, is to give the players something like a partial map that will lead them to interesting areas if they choose to follow it, but doesn't restrict their freedom of action the way tournament modules usually do (they can always choose to ignore the map or use it to go in a different direction than whatever you mark with an X). Some other ideas for "nudges" and discussion of designing good choice architecture are at The Mule Abides.

unan oranis

First Post
thanks for the tale bullgrit!

that was pretty enjoyable to read from a dm's point of view... I miss the ultra-lethality days.

*sniff*

Anyway things turned out pretty good for the second wave of characters, they were probably wise to quit right there and retire.

Perhaps you can continue to "grow" your little bdnd garden until the dungeon is really brimming with interest in every corner; throw it in like a "tunnels in time" adventure later, maybe your players will be scared...

All in all, the whole thing sounds like pure classic dnd, complete with someone suggesting that y'all switch to mechwarrior (4e) ... ;)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
unan oranis said:
I miss the ultra-lethality days.
Yeah. Both PCs that were killed, died to the first attack on them. Another PC probably would have died to the trog, had I let it get all three attacks per the rules as written.

Perhaps you can continue to "grow" your little bdnd garden until the dungeon is really brimming with interest in every corner; throw it in like a "tunnels in time" adventure later, maybe your players will be scared...
I have no idea what you're talking about, here.

All in all, the whole thing sounds like pure classic dnd, complete with someone suggesting that y'all switch to mechwarrior (4e)
Huh?

Bullgrit

Hussar

Legend
All in all, the whole thing sounds like pure classic dnd, complete with someone suggesting that y'all switch to mechwarrior (4e)

Huh?

Bullgrit

I believe he's referring to the idea that whenever you sit down to play D&D (probably any RPG really) there's always "that guy" who wants to try a different system and is pushing for it.

I thought it was funny. :)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Hussar said:
I believe he's referring to the idea that whenever you sit down to play D&D (probably any RPG really) there's always "that guy" who wants to try a different system and is pushing for it.
But that didn't happen. So unan oranis' comment makes no sense in the context of this thread. And "mechwarror (4e)" makes no sense in general. Neither does his "bdnd garden" comment.

Bullgrit

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads