Running an Urban Adventure

Firedancer

First Post
schporto said:
You definitely need one crazy doom sayer standing on the street corner shouting about the great flood that's coming... He may be right, or he may be crazy.

I thought of another aspect to this (although you yourself Jacob have a good background for this already). Its a port town, so there has to be some shrine to Umberlee and Talos just for sailers to assuage the wrath of these gods.

Now the city is flooding in a storm....does a cleric come to the fore claiming insult to the god (and does he name a rival?), requiring more sacrifice from followers...And what happens when the storm continues unabated?

I'm sure there are a number of undead you can use; zombies are good for low level, but I think there's some variant to do with dying in the sea. As I mentioned the drowned from MM3, they are CR8?

And one other list of encounters: the sea/water borne races (or fey) that were previously limited to the sea or rivers can now be found in the streets! Tridents can make good business deals, sahaughin (sp) can raid freely, sirine can drag street fulls of people to their demise, and finally, those fey that try to lure mortals into pools to drown have a whole city to play with!

PS - lightning mephits...that will be fun!

William drake

First Post
Jacob the Impaler said:
I'm going to try something new, an urban adventure. I'm planning a few adventures set in a small, overcrowded port city called Anvil City that's experienced four days of unusually heavy rain. All of the background is figured out, but I honestly don't know how to run an adventure outside of a dungeon. I'll break it down in a few questions:

1) How do I pace it? I want a continuous flow of action, but not necessarily fighting inch for inch up a street.
2) How do I guide them to different places while allowing flexibility?
3) What could they run into in a city? Muggers are boring.
4) How do encounters work? I don't want to have to worry about large amounts of bystanders, guards, etc.
5) Tips on intrigue, plot twists? My group is not a big role-playing group, and I want to get them to be more involved, guessing what's next.

---

Some (a lot of) background:

The crude sewers and gutters have overflowed, mixing with the rainwater that flows down the streets like a digusting river. The port has been closed three days, and tensions are flaring, especially on the Waterfront. Desperate gangs of half-orc dockworkers denied pay or food are clashing with authority and each other. The illicit Fishbone District is swarming with stranded, claustrophobic and drunken sailors. Prices in the bazaar have skyrocketed due to the lax regulations against price gougers who take advantage of the situation. Mercenaries from the Mercantile Guild try desperately to keep order alongside weary, poorly-equipped city watchmen. The count is calling for elite adventurers to stop the storm before the city is washed away or burned down. Who will rise to the challenge and be the hero of an entire nation?

Unfortunately, not my players. They're all level 2, not ready to face a mad wizard experimenting with electricity and forbidden magic.

But there's plenty of trouble inside the city itself. In addition to the unrest, tribes of kobolds have been forced from their homes in the sewer. Until ten years ago, kobolds owned the sewers, claiming that they were part of ancestral caverns that had been settled centuries before Anvil City was built. In return for keeping the sewers clean and free of monsters, they were allowed to live undisturbed. The previous count was not keen on kobolds, however, and offered the leaders of the tribes gold and chartered businesses in exchange for the sewers. Many accepted, and the sewers were turned over to city authority. Kobolds who resisted were killed, and the rest were forced to pay tribute to the city and abide by surface rules. After a series of brief, unsucessful insurrections, they submitted.

Now that they've been forced from their homes, they seek revenge against their former leaders who sold them out for comfortable surface lives. Already, two bodies of kobolds have been found. Luko, an unscrupulous pawn shop owner, was found hanging and mutilated in his ransacked store. More missed was the generous fish seller Kaalik, who was drowned in a flooded alley in plain sight by a gang of shrieking kobolds.

It just so happens that the players are hunkered in an inn owned by Azik-takt, a former chief who is worried he'll be next. In return for a good sum of gold, he wants the party to keep him safe and track down the killers.

---

So far I have a bar fight where hired half-orc thugs come in and try to kill Azik-takt. After that, nothing. I need some ideas, because I don't want to waste all this background on nothing. I'll keep you guys updated on everything as time goes on. Peace!

Urban Jungle. Even though its above ground, it can still be a dungeon. I'm not fond of dungeon crawls, but I think it could be done if that's what your used too. And after reading it, I think you have alot of good material. I think the players might lead you to places you didn't think about going, which could be alot of fun. Remember, if you run out of ideas...take a break, go outside and leave the players alone to talk amongst themselves. I used this before, adds drama to the game with the DM gone. IF the fantasy element bothers you since its above ground in a more modern type of play; think about it. What would happen if a part of NY was shut down like this in the earlly 1860. *Ya know, Watch Gangs of NY* and suplement from that. Take what you know, and put in fantsay things to take their place. Put in an ongoing war, as a background.

Game On

Last edited:

Remove ads