Running away

Corwyn

First Post
Are there any rules that offer PC's options to run away?
And that is without getting swamped with AoO.

Something like a tactical retreat??

This would prolong their lives considerably :D

Archer

First Post
Its called a double move or a 5' step. You need to have open space to do your double move. Being faster helps in running away.

Artoomis

First Post
Double move:

Description: A combatant can move up to double base speed.

The space where a combatant begins the move is not considered threatened, and therefore enemies do not get attacks of opportunity for a combatant's move from that space.

You cannot Run and avoid an AoO, but you might be able to double move away, if you can avoid threatened squares other than the one you start in.

Last edited:

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Some folks can also Tumble away. It's DC15 to make 20ft of your move AoO-proof.

A final option is to make your opponent unable to threaten you, by disarming, tripping(?), blinding, stunning, or other such methods. That could give you a window of opportunity to flee. Really though, the "double-move so that the initial square is safe" is usually the easiest route.

ShadowMaster

First Post
ok, lets say I'm o and X are gobs:

XXX
XoX
X

If I want to double move, I won't have any choice else than move south or south-east. Will I get an AoO if I do such a move? If yes, from whom?

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Yes you will, from the opponents marked Y

Double move SE

XXX
XOY
X

Double Move S

XXX
YOY
Y

The first square you leave does not provoke an AoO but the other ones you travel through might.

For example, if an opponent has a 10+ feet reach and you are standing next to him, it's impossible to avoid an AoO by making a double move: Even though the first square you leave will not be threatened, the seond one that you will move through is.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
It's called Disengage. You take a move (but not a double move) to exit the combat, and it constitutes your entire action for the round. See AoO explanations at the end of the PHB.

Last edited:

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Tom -- I told you you didn't understand AoO, you magnificent bastard!

Mal is right on target. No AoO in the sqaure you're disengaging from, but AoOs in the new squares you enter.. from the Sage:

"How can I get away from someone without provoking an attack of opportunity?

"Once you factor in the effects of skills and spells, the game offers a plethora of ways to escape a foe unharmed. Even if you don't have a spell or skill to get you out of trouble, you can disengage from an opponent and not provoke an attack of opportunity just by moving.

"If all you do during your turn is move (not run) the space you start in (generally considered a 5-foot square) is not considered threatened and nobody gets attacks of opportunity against you. If you later move through another threatened area, however, you are subject to attacks of opportunity. (If your opponent has reach, you can forget about getting away without drawing an attack of opportunity.)

Even if you take advantage of this rule, you'll need to have a better movement rate than your opponent or move someplace where your opponent can't follow to get away clean."

Remove ads