D&D 4E Running Commentary on Rel's 4e Campaign (Complete 8/2/10)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Ryukaar landed on a narrow ledge, far down into the Mist. The PC's noted how the Mist could not touch them while the rode the dragon and they were reminded once more of the strange properties of dragon bone that kept it at bay. Why was it that Eshik also seemed immune to the effects of the Mist? That was a question for another time as Ryukaar shrank down small enough to enter the cave that stood before them.

Waves of visible heat rolled out of it as Ryukaar explained again what must be done. "I will go inside and destroy and creatures that have crossed over through the gate. I will then call out as I enter the gate. That will be your signal to go inside and start the ritual." He turned to look at Astavian, "I know you'll do what must be done."

There was nothing left to say and he walked into the cave. They could hear him roar and there were flashes of orange and yellow light from the walls of the cave. After several moments they heard his call: "NOW!"

They rushed inside to see the gate before them, ablaze with heat and flame. Zanne moved directly at the Gate to get the ritual underway. Despite the ritual they had earlier performed to guard them from the heat, she still felt her skin begin to dry and blister as she approached. The others were close behind.

Astavian and Eshik leapt to Zanne's defense as an enormous snake of fire erupted from the Gate. Mialain was close at hand to aid in the ritual when she could and to provide healing to them as the scorching heat drained their strength and tortured their skin.

No sooner had they engaged the Flame Snake than they were beset by a pair of Hell Hounds who unleashed their fiery breath upon the party. Eshik danced among them slashing left and right with his twin blades while Astavian finished off the Flame Snake with his mighty greatword. Zanne kept her focus on the ritual knowing that such creatures could keep coming across the Gate so long as it remained open. It was all Mialain could do to keep everyone on their feet.

Yet another fiery denizen emerged from the gate, this one a sort of pulsing crystal of heat. The heroes finished their other foes and turned their attention on this one. Zanne had nearly completed the ritual when the thing exploded, setting her clothing aflame. She managed to focus her attention and finish the ritual before tumbling to the ground to extinguish the flames.

The room was suddenly darker, the only light was the orange-hot glow of the stone where the Gate has once stood. Astavain fell to one knee and reached out for Ryukaar...but found nothing but silence.

Ok let's see...

The trio of Dragonborn leaders they fought can be found in the Compendium. I used "Virarr" and "Ghedrin the Blasphemer" (what a great name!) for the lieutenants and "Mishva Garodya Stormhorn" (also a great name!) for Kava Scaleshield, the Warlord who once served Gorunaga. That fight was bookended by some Diplomacy rolls by Astavian and the other PC's did some power stunts to make him look powerful and radiant, which went a long way toward influencing the crowd of angry Dragonborn. The fight itself was one I recall being a good example of focused attacks to take the bad guys down quickly one at a time.

The ritual/fight in the cave with the Gate was structured like this: Any player could make a DC 15 Arcana check on their turn as a Standard action so long as they either held or were adjacent to the person holding the crystal that Ryukaar had prepared. The DC was 17 if done as a Move action or 20 if done as a Minor action. They needed a total of 10 successes.

Meanwhile every round I rolled a d6. On a 5 or 6, nothing emerged from the Gate. One a 1, 2, 3 or 4 a Magma Strider, Hell Hound, Flame Snake or Flame Shard (respectively) would pop through and start attacking them. I note here that these were all critters who had the standard adjustment of 60% hit points and did an additional 4+1/2 level damage on each attack. Even though the PC's had some fire Resistance, there was still a LOT of damage flying around during that fight. Multiple fire auras get nasty.

Also, Astavian had already engaged in a philosophical discussion with Ryukaar about what would happen to his powers if Ryukaar were trapped on another plane. Ryukaar's stance was that Astavian's powers came from within but were focused around an ideal which Ryukaar had instilled in him. Thus, so long as he remained faithful to those ideals, he should maintain his powers. That is of course exactly what happened.

Anyhow, I should have another update coming soon! Thanks for reading!

stobil

First Post
So, by soon you mean at least seven days from now, eh? ;)

Seriously, though, I'm waiting to read more about the cool things Zanne did during the campaign. Don't make me have to bust a d20 on your head instead of the chimney. :]

Rel

Liquid Awesome
So, by soon you mean at least seven days from now, eh? ;)

Seriously, though, I'm waiting to read more about the cool things Zanne did during the campaign. Don't make me have to bust a d20 on your head instead of the chimney. :]

Well the combination of laziness, school being out for five days due to snow, and computer problems have conspired to keep me from posting. But it's probably mostly the laziness. ;)

Anyway...

The group made the laborious climb up out of the Mist and were back in Drakespire by the fall of the following night. Everywhere on the streets was news that the fires across the countryside were starting to subside and lava was no longer oozing up through seams in the stone. They made their way to the Temple district where they encountered a pair of guards wearing the livery of Ryukaar. These were the same pair of Templars whom Ryukaar had spoken to just before they departed to seal the Gate. They told the party that Ryukaar had left instructions for them should they return. "Seek the sanctuary at the Temple of Drakaru." They glanced nervously at each other as they delivered this news.

Astavian was about to question them further as to their reticence but caught a glimpse of the scene that lay across the courtyard: The Temple of Drakaru had been torn apart.

Various temple workers could be seen carrying blocks of stone, stacking them neatly and without signs of panic. The PC's were about to seize one of them to ask what had happened when they saw that a large form crouched among the wreckage of the temple: An enormous copper dragon.

They approached with caution and the dragon cut short a conversation with one of the Templars to beckon them closer. "I heard of what you did. Welcome heroes."

Astavian suddenly understood and knelt, "Thank you lord Drakaru. But what has befallen your temple? Has the Dracolich returned?!"

The dragon-god replied, "No, he has not. I tore the temple down myself. If the people are to worship me any longer, and I am not sure that I wish them to, then it will be in my true form and no other. And I was too big to fit in the door like this." A smile crept across his gigantic draconic maw. "The stone is better used for rebuilding the rest of the city in any event."

They told Drakaru of what had happened at the Gate and the great dragon told them that he could feel it when his old friend Ryukaar departed the world. Astavian then told Drakaru of the instructions they were given to seek sanctuary at his temple.

Drakaru replied, "Well you are certainly welcome here. As you can see there is much...did you say 'seek sanctuary' or 'seek The Sanctuary'?"

Zanne recalled their conversation with the Templars and said, "I think their exact words were 'seek the sanctuary' but they were repeating what Ryukaar had told them so perhaps they misspoke."

Drakaru considered for a moment. "Astavian, do you see that stairwell over there? Descend it. At the bottom, turn to the left. There is a room at the end of that hallway. Enter and see if you see anything that...shines."

Astavian did as instructed, stepping over the scattered bits of rubble and finding the room in question. It was spartan and dusty, containing only three items, each displayed prominently. There was a large sword hanging on one wall. There was a featureless black orb on a stand at the center of one wall. Another had a stand holding up a stone ring etched with draconic runes. None of these things shone or sparkled or glowed, no matter how Astavian strained and squinted. At last he retreated back up to where Drakaru and the rest of his companions waited and there reported that he'd seen nothing out of the ordinary.

Drakaru seemed a bit perplexed before dismissing it saying, "Well perhaps the message was muddled or Ryukaar was mistaken about...wait a moment..." His gaze turned to Eshik and hovered there. "You heard my instructions to Astavian. Do the same as I asked him."

Eshik descended the stairwell and turned to the left. At the end of the corridor he saw the room in question. It was lit from within by a silvery light. Cautiously he advanced toward it and entered. The light emanated from the orb. He carefully lifted it from the stand and felt it coursing with power. Holding it out at arms length he carried it back up the stairs to the base of the ruined temple.

Darkaru stared in amazement and whispered something they could not understand as Eshik sat the orb on the ground at his feet. It seemed to dim ever so slightly as he released it. Drakaru spoke to Eshik, "You needn't present it to me. It apparently belongs to you...Emperor."

meomwt

First Post
OK: so the guys who wrote Doctor Who in the 1970's had nothing on you when it comes to closing an episode on a cliffhanger...

More soon, please!

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Drakaru went on to elaborate:

"You are familiar with the tale of Io, the great dragon god of old, right? How he recklessly charged into combat with one of the Primordials and was cut in half. And that his two halves came to reflect what was good and bad in him and that the rest of the dragons were descended from these aspects.

Well the truth of that tale is lost in antiquity. But what I can tell you is that a pair of powerful magical orbs have existed for a very, very long time. Both of these were, in their own ways, an entrance into the Place Between Places. You already know about the Nexus of course. It controls how the planes align with one another and thus where various Gates lead.

In the years leading up to the Mist Cataclysm, the Nexus was stolen from the Metallic Dragons by the Chromatic Dragons. It was this event that touched off the Dragon War and eventually destroyed most of the world.

The other orb had long been in possession by the Chromatic Dragons and was held in their stronghold far across the ocean to the east. They knew too well that seizing the Nexus would not be tolerated and there would be war. In preparation for this they would need soldiers and so they created the Dragonborn.

You know very well that the Dragonborn are a powerful, fierce and prideful race. How could they not be? These features were valuable in a soldier but also made them difficult to control. So the Chromatic Dragons struck a deal in exchange for their eternal service: They gave the Dragonborn their Orb. The Sanctuary.

It is said to be a realm all its own and the deal struck made it only accessible by the descendants of the original accord. These were the most powerful of the Dragonborn houses who came to rule over the city of Arkhosia. But of course they were also at the forefront of the army that clashed against that of the Metallic Dragons, Dwarves, Elves and Men. Most of the imperial bloodlines were much reduced or destroyed entirely during the course of the Dragon War.

When Arkhosia finally fell, starting the last chapter of the War, which would lead to disaster, the Dragonborn Emperor refused to surrender. It is said that he gathered his guards, closest family and advisers and retreated into the Sanctuary. It was then hidden away in a chamber beneath the Imperial Palace where it was undiscovered for hundreds of years until discovered by Ryukaar, Gorunaga and I.

We couldn't get inside of course. We were not even truly Dragonborn, though we wore their forms, and certainly not of the Imperial bloodline in any case. I wasn't sure any of them had even survived until now. But here you are, Eshik. Shall I call you 'Emperor'?"

Eshik was speechless for a moment. "No, I don't see how I can wear that title. Certainly not for now. But what happened to the old Emperor?"

"I have no idea at all," replied Drakaru. "The Sanctuary was supposed to be a retreat. A refuge where the Dragonborn Emperor could find solitude and safety. But I have no notion of what exactly it holds. Perhaps his line has flourished inside. Or perhaps they died out. They certainly haven't emerged while it has been in my possession."

Eshik regarded his fellow party members, "I think we're going to need to enter and find out, don't you?"

All agreed.

He asked Drakaru if it were even possible for those not of the Imperial Blood to enter. Drakaru said, "I'm unsure of how the Sanctuary works. I do know that the Nexus didn't need any complex ritual. The wielder needed only exert his will upon it and it would obey, though of course it gets easier with practice."

Eshik held the Sanctuary in both hands and thought to himself, "I certainly hope my friends can accompan..." and they were gone.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
So what happened next, Grandpa?

I'm really bad at this, aren't I?

Well I've got good news: My work week has somewhat disintegrated so I'll have some spare time for the next couple days to try and get in an update or two.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
They found themselves inside a circular room with a pedestal in the center. On the pedestal was an orb, identical to the Sanctuary. Only one exit led out of the room and an eerie purple glow emanated from it. They approached to see chunks of the stone ceiling had fallen and the purplish light was shining down from above. Amid the rubble they could make out a couple of skeletons. They looked like Dragonborn.

Eshik stepped forward to see where the purple light was coming from and was transfixed. His eyes glazed over and his jaw hung slack. Zanne stepped forward and caught a glimpse of what he saw and it was all she could do to tear her gaze away. With Astavian's help they dragged Eshik back into the circular room.

"What was up there?"

Zanne and Eshik both replied, "Nothing." They had gazed into the Void. The Sanctuary sat inside the Place Between Places.

Zanne commented that this made a certain sense when one considered that the Nexus also exerted some control over the planes. The Place Between Places, she posited, was the nowhere between them and these twin artifacts had some connection to the concept.

This made sense to Eshik as well. Because he knew that Io, or at least some part of his consciousness, existed in the Place Between Places. He had encountered it there when they had crossed over from the world into the Feywild. He'd been dead at the time but that was hardly the strangest thing about the experience.

In any event, it was decided that the best course of action if they were to proceed was to hurry through the section of hallway with the gap into the void as quickly as possible. This proved harder than they anticipated because something about the immensity of the Place Between Places pulled at the mortal mind and drew them to look into it. But those who were caught by it were dragged free by those who resisted and they made it to the other side, hurrying to leave its terrifying strangeness behind.

The passage soon opened into a huge chamber where grass covered the floor and terraces rose to either side. Ahead of them was a gigantic staircase that must have at least a hundred steps up to a narrow landing and passage beyond. There were sconces that burned with red fire but seemed to give no heat. Mialain knelt to observe that the grass seemed thin and brittle and somehow a bit unnatural. This was all they had time to notice before a group of Dragonborn came at them from the terraces above, howling with madness.

These were accompanied by bipedal lizards the size of large dogs who leaped into the midst of the party and attempted to drag them to the ground with their hooked claws. After a moments hesitation however the group pulled together and began hacking down their attackers. Astavian and Eshik traded blasts of dragonbreath with the enemy Dragonborn. The enemy fought with ferocity and abandon, seemingly heedless of the wounds they sustained until they had been hacked down. Eshik had a moment to notice that they all had uniform armor and weapons bearing the seal of the ancient city of Arkhosia.

There was little time to study it however as a group of similarly dressed Dragonborn gathered atop the staircase. Their leader was grand, mighty and unquestionably insane. His heavily accented Draconic echoed down the to the party as he pointed at Eshik:

"Your treacherous line has come to try and unseat me, have they!? I have reigned forever and I SHALL reign forever!! I am Karthask...the ETERNAL EMPEROR!!"

He raised a banner with the image of a fiery dragon on it and ordered his guards to attack. The party stood their ground at the bottom of the chamber. Zanne waited for their approach and broke the formation with a Stinking Cloud. Astavian and Eshik moved to attack one of the flanks while Mialain picked off the wounded with her bow and provided healing to the party when needed.

All was going well and more than half the guards were dead when the Emperor stepped up and planted his banner and flame exploded around him. The intense heat blistered the flesh and scales of the party and they knew that they could not bear such flame for long. Eshik jumped forward and grabbed the banner away from Karthask and the flames subsided. They caught a brief glimpse of the dragon on the banner changing from red to green when Karthask seized it back from Eshik.

This however bought enough time for Astavian and Zanne to bring down the captain of the Imperial Guard whose imposing presence was clearly instilling some discipline among the rest of the Guard. As he fell the rest broke into a mob who were easily dispatched.

Meanwhile Eshik and the Emperor continued to struggle for control of the banner with the Emperor getting the better of it. Karthask continued to unleash bursts of flame that charred Eshik's scales and it was all Mialain could do to keep him on his feet. But Eshik finally managed to plant a sword thrust into the chest of the insane Emperor that sent him staggering back and Astavian and Zanne quickly closed in for the kill. The last gasp of the mad Emperor hissed from him and all was silent.

In the aftermath they discovered some writings inside one of the chambers upon the terraces, alongside a great many broken eggshells. The writings were disjointed but indicated that the Emperor's subjects who had followed him into the Sanctuary over 500 years ago soon discovered that they were no longer hungry, thirsty or tired. Their eggs were not fertile and none of them aged. Some tried to convince the Emperor that it was time to end their exile but he cut down any who dared suggest that they emerge from hiding. In the end many died by their own hand and some tried to dig their way out only to find that, beyond the thin veneer of stone, there was only the void and the even quicker madness that it contained.

The party all agreed: A useful place as a refuge, but dangerous if used too long.

From the dead Captain of the Imperial Guard, Astavian took an ornate set of magical greaves. Eshik awkwardly took up the badges of office from the dead Emperor: A ring and the banner.

A brief search turned up a few more items of historical significance but none of them wished to tarry in this place that felt more a curse than a blessing. Struggling to get beyond the baleful window into the Place Between Places, all were relieved when they reached the orb once more. Eshik willed them out of the Sanctuary and they appeared in the courtyard.

Though they had only been gone a couple of hours the angle of the sun seemed entirely wrong. They further noted that an enormous amount of the debris had been cleared away from Drakaru's fallen temple. As they were still puzzling over this one of the workers approached and commented, "Ah! You've finally returned!"

"How long have we been gone?"

"Oh...over a week I'd guess. Not quite sure."

Phew. Ok again sorry for all the delays. Luckily I had some last minute work come in yesterday that kept me out of town all day.

Mechanics:

The window into the Place Between Places was handled by having it make a +15 attack vs. Will as they tried to cross it. If it hit then they were transfixed and could only try and make a Save against it if somebody distracted them in some way. They primarily got through this area by grabbing each other and pulling along any who got caught by it (which was usually Astavian and Eshik being dragged to safety by the girls who had much better Will Defenses).

The Imperial Guards of Arkhosia were Dragonborn Gladiators with a few sidekick Scytheclaw Drakes added in the first encounter. For the Captain of the Guard I used the stats for Bax (which I pulled off the DDI Compendium but looks like was published in King of the Trollhaunt Warrens). The stats for Emperor Karthask were those of a Dragonborn Fire Adept. His Immolate, Dragon Breath and Fiery Denial were nasty business. Also he had the Shroud of Flame causing 10 points of fire damage to any who attacked him in Melee which is why Eshik mostly fought him alone while Astavian and Zanne cleaned up the guards. Mialain also shot him with a few well placed arrows in between times she was healing Eshik.

I felt like the struggle between Eshik and the Emperor for the banner was a very cool scene. I was hoping that Eshik would get the chance to plant the banner and proclaim himself the new Emperor but he never really had enough of a break in the action to do so.

Speaking of which, mechanically the banner was a Standard of Eternal Battle. The Emperor also had (appropriately) a Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor. The Captain of the Imperial Guard had some Dragonborn Greaves which Astavian took possession of. It had been a while since they'd gotten some meaningful treasure so I took this opportunity to throw them a few juicy items. I note that the Ring of the Dragonborn Emperor was the perfect signature item for Eshik, not only because of his bloodline but it dovetailed great with the necklace that he'd found WAAAAAY back at the start of the campaign which gave his Dragon Breath a recharge on 5 or 6. So that was pretty cool too.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Any thrilling conclusions in store?

There are and apologies for me being so slack about updates. Just a lot going on in the life of Rel these days. Enough to make him refer to himself in the third person from time to time (that can't be good).

My daughter is back in school this week so hopefully I'll have some time when I need a break from doing the taxes.

Remove ads