D&D 5E Running High Level 5E is more fun than I thought it would be.

Reynard

Legend
I am going to do a quick level 20 test tomorrow. I am thinking the PCs will have to go into the Feywild and get back a royal child that has been abducted by the Winter Court. Can folks give me suggestions for a couple lead up encounters and a "boss fight" that should be interesting for a 4 PC level 20 party? I have The MM, Volos, Mordenakainan's and Tome of Beasts.

Oofta

Legend
I am going to do a quick level 20 test tomorrow. I am thinking the PCs will have to go into the Feywild and get back a royal child that has been abducted by the Winter Court. Can folks give me suggestions for a couple lead up encounters and a "boss fight" that should be interesting for a 4 PC level 20 party? I have The MM, Volos, Mordenakainan's and Tome of Beasts.
How many PCs? Do they tend to punch above or below their weight class?

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I mean, T4 5e lets you do this:

A Tarrasque, 3 demon lords, ~1000 orcs led by ~100 orc bezerkers and a warchief, 5 dozen elementals, and a small host of angels are attacking the castle in 7 days.

You have 100 Guards, 10 Knghts on Hippogriffs, and a Champion on a Wyvern on your side.

Go!
If this has something you've actually done, I'm curious how you handled the mass combat aspect. Would you share? :)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I tend to use this as my reference for magic items. 5E - Analysis of "Typical" Magic Item Distribution

Basically, this is roughly the amount of items a PC would have acquired by level 20 in a standard distribution. Personally, I would check out most of the consumables (on the assumption they were used in previous adventures) and some of the uncommon and rare permanent items (on the premise that they probably used up or discarded items that weren't that useful for any of the party).

4 or 5 common consumables
5 uncommon consumables
5 rare consumables
4 or 5 very rare consumables
1 legendary consumable
2 or 3 uncommon permanent items
1 or 2 rare permanent items
1 very rare permanent item
1 legendary permanent item

Just to avoid a ton of analysis paralysis and overstuffed sheets, I would probably cut down to the following:

2 very rare consumables
1 legendary consumable
1 uncommon permanent
1 rare permanent
1 very rare permanent
1 legendary permanent

For extra fun, generate them randomly and make the party pick.

Reynard

Legend
I tend to use this as my reference for magic items. 5E - Analysis of "Typical" Magic Item Distribution

Basically, this is roughly the amount of items a PC would have acquired by level 20 in a standard distribution. Personally, I would check out most of the consumables (on the assumption they were used in previous adventures) and some of the uncommon and rare permanent items (on the premise that they probably used up or discarded items that weren't that useful for any of the party).

4 or 5 common consumables
5 uncommon consumables
5 rare consumables
4 or 5 very rare consumables
1 legendary consumable
2 or 3 uncommon permanent items
1 or 2 rare permanent items
1 very rare permanent item
1 legendary permanent item

Just to avoid a ton of analysis paralysis and overstuffed sheets, I would probably cut down to the following:

2 very rare consumables
1 legendary consumable
1 uncommon permanent
1 rare permanent
1 very rare permanent
1 legendary permanent

For extra fun, generate them randomly and make the party pick.
Thanks!

And that's a good idea. Maybe I will let them each pick their one legendary permanent item and then randomly roll the rest. I will be doing this on Fantasy grounds so it should be easy enough.

S'mon

Legend

If you have access to Tome of Beasts, it has a ton of Fey stuff including the Fey Lords who are suitable for level 20 play.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Thanks!

And that's a good idea. Maybe I will let them each pick their one legendary permanent item and then randomly roll the rest. I will be doing this on Fantasy grounds so it should be easy enough.
At the start of my last campaign, I emailed the party a list of magic items and told them to divide it up any way they wanted. It generated almost 100 response emails as they wrangled over it for about a week. That's the kind of player investment I like to foster. :)

Oofta

Legend
If you have access to Tome of Beasts, it has a ton of Fey stuff including the Fey Lords who are suitable for level 20 play.

I'll probably post a bit more in a couple hours when I take a longer break, but I agree that there aren't a ton of high level fey in the official products. I've used stuff from Tome of Beasts and found something on the DmsGuild for some ideas, but I'm just as likely to reskin existing monsters or create my own.

It also depends on how you want to depict The Feywild in your campaign. I represent it as "more" for a lack of a better term. That babbling brook is an entrancing symphony, cold is almost a living thing with a bitterness and hatred of warmth, even the trees seem to be more foreboding or more idyllic.

Remove ads