D&D 5E Running High Level 5E is more fun than I thought it would be.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I mean, T4 5e lets you do this:

A Tarrasque, 3 demon lords, ~1000 orcs led by ~100 orc bezerkers and a warchief, 5 dozen elementals, and a small host of angels are attacking the castle in 7 days.

You have 100 Guards, 10 Knghts on Hippogriffs, and a Champion on a Wyvern on your side.

Go!
But if you throw in the partridge in the pear tree, the PC's are DOOMED!!!

I haven't run high level 5ed, so can't speak from personal experience. But my guess is that it is a combination of three factors:

1) Greater complexity of game play - and more to keep track of.
2) A general preference for 'classic" D&D--levels 1-10ish, especially the "sweet spot" of tier 2 (5-10), if only because of familiarity.
3) Unwillingness/inability to shift paradigms to "superheroic" campaigns.

The first two are pretty self-explanatory, but the latter might be where there is some wiggle room, and where WotC could help out with some kind of higher level guidebook and adventures--meaning, a supplement with recommendations on how to run high level campaigns, different adventure seeds, campaign structures and, of course, actually adventures.

I think part of the problem, which relates to 2 and 3, is that higher level campaigns require a paradigm shift. You can still play classic adventuring styles with more powerful monsters and bigger piles of loot, but why not explore different styles of campaign? World-shaking events, artifacts, leading nations, exploring the planes, etc.

I think 3-10 will always be the sweet-spot for most, but I see no reason why--especially with the "flattened curve" of 5E--the higher levels can't also offer tons of great play experiences, especially if the DM and players are interested in exploring different types of campaigns. And as I said, WotC could help the situation out by offering more high level campaigns--even ones that start at 11th level, rather than most ending in the 11-15 range.

I would love it if they would publish something like this. I get the reason for focusing more on the lower levels, but they should have SOMETHING for higher levels.

For 5E, I always recommend Palace of the Red Pasha (for 17th level). It's meant as a sequel to Rise of Tiamat, but it easily stands alone.

You could also excerpt one of the high-level adventures from Scales of War; there's a very good fan-made 5E conversion here:

Betrayal at Monadhan + Grasp of the Mantled Citadel (levels 14-15), or Test of Fire (level 18) stand pretty well alone, if you change some of the setup. Or the whole level 14-20 sequence of adventures starting with Betrayal at Monadhan works well as a mini-campaign.

That is my plan when we finish up ToD -- go all the way to killing off Tiamat.

Reynard

Legend
In fairness, Dungeon of the Mad Mage is something. Pretty sure it goes all the way to 20.

Unofficially, there are an assortment of high level adventurers on DMs Guild as well.
The problem is DotMM isn't very good. it doesn't relly work as a megadungeon because the levels are too small, and it doesn't work as a collection of independent dungeons because of all the Halaster stuff and interconnections between the levels. Some levels are better designed than others, of course, but an actual anthology book of higher level adventures would be a great improvement.

pogre

Legend
The problem is DotMM isn't very good. it doesn't relly work as a megadungeon because the levels are too small, and it doesn't work as a collection of independent dungeons because of all the Halaster stuff and interconnections between the levels. Some levels are better designed than others, of course, but an actual anthology book of higher level adventures would be a great improvement.
I love Dungeon of the Mad Mage, but I mostly agree with this assessment - Particularly at the lower levels of the dungeon (higher PC levels).

Fanaelialae

Legend
I haven't run it (or even read it in its entirety) so I'm willing to take your word on it. That said, my point was only that they've at least made an attempt to provide a high level campaign.

If you're interested in such a thing, you might want to check out the Dungeons On Demand offering on Bundle of Holding. It's one adventure for each level from 1 to 20, plus some other stuff for about $20. I haven't read all of the adventures but the ones I did were pretty good.

I have one campaign at 15th level...so no 9th level spells yet. It is fun.

I think High Level is easier to run, in general, because balance concerns are no longer such paramount concerns.

I think I actually liked 3e High Levels a little more than 5e...only because while this:
I ran some 3.x edition into epic levels, which was fun, but a ton of work to prepare.

could be true...I ‘borrowed’ from Dungeon Magazine all the time, it was a fantastic source for min/maxed adversaries.

5e definitely needs a Bloodstone Pass type adventure...not in terms of theme but rather an adventure intended for high level play.

City of Brass anyone?

I love Dungeon of the Mad Mage, but I mostly agree with this assessment - Particularly at the lower levels of the dungeon (higher PC levels).

To be fair, all iterations of of Undermountain have suffered from this issue, in my view.
DotMM, has my respect for being the most comprehensive presentation of the Underhalls, in a single product.

Mordenkainens Fantastic Adventure, I think could be converted to 15th level play for 5e.
It will require some work..

Remove ads