D&D 5E Running High Level 5E is more fun than I thought it would be.

Reynard

Legend
A while back my IRL group finished Out of the Abyss with 14th level PCs. Since social distancing and Stay Home has begun, we put our current campaign on hold and moved to Fantasy Grounds and I started running (since I have the ultimate license, etc). We decided to pick up those OotA characters and get into Dungeon of the Mad Mage (I had separately run Dragon heist, so the players -- if not these PCs -- are aware of the various factions and things in Waterdeep).

I have to say, so far the epic nature of 14th level 5E has been a blast. I expected it to be a bit of a slog, but it has been great. When crits go off they are truly epic and the characters and villains both are capable of some pretty mind blowing stuff.

I had been expecting to move to more low-key adventures after my regular Avernus campaign ends but I might have to stick with those characters (assuming they survive) into the higher levels just to see what it's like.

Levelling goes fast (particularly after the 6-11 sweet spot). 15-20 go past really quick.

I'd totally recommend doing it. So many DMs rage quit at mid levels and consequence have no experience dealing with high level shenanigans. Accordingly when their next campaign hits mid level and someone pulls a high level shenanigan... they rage quit again.

You've gotta run a few at high level to get used to it.

It's truly epic. IME players love getting a character to high levels, and playing them as epic heroes.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In our main game, we've played from level 1 to 13 and when we can meet again we will continue. I see it going to 15-16th maybe, but I don't know if we'll reach tier 4.

I think the "over-the-top" nature of 5E does lend itself to more epic styles of play. While that is fine and dandy, I prefer "heroic", not "epic" or "super-hero"-like.

Oofta

Legend
I've done high levels in 5E, we had a blast. Pull out all the big guns and have massive throw-downs. Yeah, sometimes the PCs are incredibly powerful, but isn't that half the fun? That and it gives PCs a chance to really have an ongoing impact on the world. Since I've been DMing the same campaign world for decades they know that some day their PC's names may be among legendary heroes of the past.

I enjoy all levels from different sides of the DM's screen for different reasons.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I'm enjoying our high-level game too, except for Etherealness, which thankfully didn't make an appearance in the last session :) But my players really love exploration so just giving them fresh environments to interact with keeps them interested

darjr

I crit!
The power of the PCs allows me as the DM to push the petal to the floor. I think there are several key reasons, tops are how tough they are, how many ways a character can be brought back to live even in a TPK, and most of my players who get to that level through play have lost a character or two or more.

Reynard

Legend
In our main game, we've played from level 1 to 13 and when we can meet again we will continue. I see it going to 15-16th maybe, but I don't know if we'll reach tier 4.

I think the "over-the-top" nature of 5E does lend itself to more epic styles of play. While that is fine and dandy, I prefer "heroic", not "epic" or "super-hero"-like.
I largely in agreement, but this experience anyway has made me rethink my "no play past 9th" rule.

lkj

Hero
I'll add a vote for high level play. Have DM'd a group of characters to 20th, and it has been really fun. And easy. I've been able to run sessions on the fly. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but after 3rd edition, the fact that I can just wing a high level campaign is like a dream come true.

And I second the 'you can take the training wheels off' sentiment. You like demon lords? How about three demon lords! Oh my god, that's fun. And epic.

I have not had trouble keeping my characters fearing for their lives.

AD

Remove ads