D&D 5E Running Horde of the Dragon Queen: Bard Wants to Join Rezmir!

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I started running Horde of the Dragon Queen for the first time and a player who has rolled a chaotic gnome bard has decided that he wants to legitimately join The Cult of the Dragon and specifically work alongside Rezmir (he rolled to see if he was attracted to her...I gave him a 50% chance and he got it)

I already read the article below...

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/2ny5w7/hotdq_with_dragon_aligned_players_new_dm_how_do_i/

What I want to know is what would Rezmir require for someone to join the cult?
What kind of test or action...

I already had him go one on one with the guards outside her tent in the beginning camp and he successfully frightened him and sent him running. In my mind that impressed her (Rezmir)...enough that she will consider him joining the group...

In truth I needed time before the next session to think this through...any pointers?

akr71

Hero
My players never really met Rezmir. They got a glimpse of her during the attack on Greenest, intercepted some letters from her, and heard stories about her in Baldur's Gate, but never met her or had a chance to talk with her until they were on the giant's castle. At that point they were masquerading as low level cultists who were beneath her notice.

I only mention it because for my players Rezmir was a quarry that was always two steps ahead of them. They found a bunch of badly written dragon poetry by Frulam that intrigued them - they might have been swayed by her. They had a bunch of dealings with Talis and liked her until she blackmailed them...

Maybe Rezmir can send your player a secret message. A rendez-vous in Baldur's Gate? She gives him a secret mission to prove his loyalty... perhaps one that is contrary to the rest of the party's agenda.

I had a player go undercover, a joined the Cult of the Dragon. It was a tricky thing to run, but it got him close to Rezmir.

My question to you, what is this players reasoning for wanted to join "the other side?" And if they are playing with other adventurers, do they have a problem with this, because I think that could create a huge rift in the party?

The guy in my group did it to gain more information to aid the Council, but it seems like the player in your group wants to go "full Heel," though his endgame may differ from what Im thinking.

I would consider the rest of the party first, and how it will affect them if one of their party members just decides to join the group that is out to kill them.

PS: I have a ton of maps I made for this campaign, and have them uploaded on DeviantArt.com, FREE for download. If you think you could use them, feel free to download at your leisure!!!

https://www.deviantart.com/michaelarkangel/gallery/

Yes, the important thing is to remember the rest of the party. It's quite reasonable to say that a character can join the other side, but they become an NPC. Roll a new character.

The other way to tackle it, with a co-operative player who likes to role-play and doesn't mind being on the losing side is to run them as a mole. They secretly work against the other players whilst pretending to be a regular party member. I've done this as a player.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Has the player said anything about why he wants his character to join Rezmir and the cult? Is it just because he's attracted to her, or are there other reasons?

Knowing this would help us figure out the best suggestion to make everyone happy.

Also, [mention=6802808]MichaelArkAngel,[/mention] those are amazing maps! I wish I'd had them when I was running these adventures on Roll20 for my group. I'm going to put a link on the "Enhancing HotDQ" thread right away.

Yeah, my feeling on this is that it might be difficult to do it without either creating animosity at the table, or vast swathes of time where only the bard is getting screen time doing Cult of the Dragon things while everyone else sits around.

As for Rezmir’s goals and needs, it seems to me that her real concern in Hoard is getting that treasure collected and shipped to the Well of Souls. Maybe the gnome needs to act as a messenger, getting word to another Cult cell to deliver their goods to a certain place for pick-up.

But really, though I can’t speak as to how your campaign runs, I’d think that if the bard really is doing a heel turn, it’s “so long, see you, roll up a new character.” Maybe the PC gets a return at a critical point as a villain or suddenly betrays the Cult to become a hero again, but balancing one PC off doing their own thing for the rest of the module is a tall order to fill and have it be fun for the rest of the group.

My question to you, what is this players reasoning for wanted to join "the other side?" And if they are playing with other adventurers, do they have a problem with this, because I think that could create a huge rift in the party?

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
He honestly wants to join the cult because the others have been picking on his shortness and inability to do anything (constant low rolls...)
I assume at some point (maybe when he can start working with the Zhentarium) he will see that Tiamat is a bigger issue...

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Give the player the option of having his character become an NPC, at which point his bard runs off to join the Cult, leaving the party behind. This does mean that the player needs to create a new character, however.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
He honestly wants to join the cult because the others have been picking on his shortness and inability to do anything (constant low rolls...)
Is this in character or out of character? If it's out of character, have you tried telling the others to knock it off?

I assume at some point (maybe when he can start working with the Zhentarium) he will see that Tiamat is a bigger issue...
Oof. I wouldn't assume that. By then, he'll be invested in his decision and will not want to admit he was wrong.

I think I agree with those who say if his character joins Rezmir, he'll have to become an NPC. That might even be for the best; let him roll up a barbarian or something the others won't make fun of.

Remove ads