• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Heroic tier (finished)

Delgar

First Post
Hey PC is your wiki available for public consumption? Am I just blind and can't find a link for it somewhere?

Aravis was asking about available races, at which point I realized that the more monstrous races in the character builder aren't ones I'd encourage. This strikes me as slightly hypocritical, since I'd totally love to play a minotaur barbarian -- but there it is.

Before I update 'em on my wiki, here's some musing about the place of a few races in my world.

Tortoise

First Post
Odassian Elves

“They worship Morgaire, the God of Authority, and Zhenti, God of Secrets. This alone should tell you everything you need to know about them.”
~ Inquisitor Theen, Chosen of Bress, upon signing the Writ of Conquest

Wow, a whole race on double-secret probation! :lol:

Nice write-up. I love the way you re-wrote the drow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
But that said, don't you think "no divine power" is a major (and positive) aspect of Dark Sun?
I sure do; in fact, that was in the forefront of my mind when I was considering this, as a really good example of how to remove major chunks of the rules. When considering something for inclusion, I ask myself: will the campaign be better if it isn't in the game? I don't want a new facet to just be neutral, so then I ask: how can I twist it so that its inclusion makes the campaign actually better?

Odassian elves wouldn't exist if Aravis didn't want to play one. When he asked about drow, I needed to decide how to handle it. Now I have this really fun image of Odoas. Slowly, piece by piece, the detail of Capria is coming together for me.

You'll note that the character description is mostly quotes from people in the Empire. I thought that might be a little more flavorful, and - most importantly - it doesn't straightjacket Aravis completely if he envisions his character differently.

The wiki link can be found on page 2, post #32. It badly needs me to update it, though! I haven't been scrupulous about that.

And Tortoise, that's hilarious. Accurate, too. Now I need a Dean in the Odassian Colleges named "Wormer."

Blackjack

First Post
Whoo hoo - four strikers, no waiting! It'll be fascinating to see how the group does without a defender

Fan-TAS-tic.

Aravis, if you're playing a brawny rogue and using a miniature of a guy in a cloak with two daggers, I'm going to beat you with a sock full of d30s.

Aravis

First Post
Fan-TAS-tic.

Aravis, if you're playing a brawny rogue and using a miniature of a guy in a cloak with two daggers, I'm going to beat you with a sock full of d30s.

Hey, ease off buddy. Just for you I am playing a Male character this time! ;)

And hey, if I have picked poorly, I am sure one of us will die quickly and can bring in a defender.

- Aravis

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
There may be hope, Blackjack. Martial Power 2 has a dex-int rogue build, something that Alomir has wanted to play since the beginning. I've given him the okay to rebuild Logan if it better fits his vision of the character. He'll probably still use the same miniature, though...

(Why this is funny: not only to Cobalt and Logan have nearly identical builds, their @$&*$@ miniatures look almost identical. And every time you ask "which one are you again?", Sagiro or Alomir smiles smugly and says "I'm the rogue with the cloak and two daggers."

Bastards.)

Blackjack

First Post
Why this is funny: not only to Cobalt and Logan have nearly identical builds, their @$&*$@ miniatures look almost identical.

And, it's worth note, even they sometimes confuse them.

I keep trying to get one of them to use the Star Wars miniature of a Mon Calamari, although for some reason they seem to suspect that this suggestion masks a trap.

Alomir

First Post
(Why this is funny: not only to Cobalt and Logan have nearly identical builds, their @$&*$@ miniatures look almost identical. And every time you ask "which one are you again?", Sagiro or Alomir smiles smugly and says "I'm the rogue with the cloak and two daggers."

Bastards.)
I do NOT say that! I say "I'm the shorter figure!".

That should be perfectly clear, as there is at *least* a two millimeter difference in height between the figures.

What?

Alomir

First Post
There may be hope, Blackjack. Martial Power 2 has a dex-int rogue build, something that Alomir has wanted to play since the beginning. I've given him the okay to rebuild Logan if it better fits his vision of the character.
I'm *very* interested in this idea. It's a big change though; currently, Logan is a melee (Brutal Scoundrel) rogue, whereas the int-based rogue (the "Cunning Sneak") is much more of a 'sneak around and attack from range' type. I like that idea, and the much heavier emphasis on stealth and hiding definitely fits my character vision better - but it's a big change. Also, I have questions on the mechanics of extra effects that the Cunning Sneak gets on several powers; how those play out may influence my decision.

It's kind of too bad that it's too much of a change for the game tonight - I think being a ranged striker would be verrry handy against that beholder.

The words 'pot' and 'kettle' are coming to mind here...

Remove ads