Rust Monsters Are Real(ly, really tiny)!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
After theorizing their existence for many decades, scientists accidentally discover organism that metabolizes manganese:

Mad_Jack

Legend
Y'know, this might explain why sometimes when I'm stripping paint off my minis they end up with a blackish crust on them - manganese oxide is often used as a pigment in paint...
I usually dump them in Simple Green for a few days, then scrub the paint off, rinse them off under the faucet, and put them back in the SG for awhile longer. Sometimes when I forget about them and they sit for a few months, they end up with a dark flakey crust on them.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The rust monster has colonies of that bacteria all over its antennae, with perma-Haste cast on the bacteria?

Hmm, now I want to add this to my mini-Tomb of Annihilation dungeon. Because it sounds like the kind of spiteful malicious thing Acererak would do.
Maybe the rust monsters have been trained to come investigate when they hear the magnet trap activate ...

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
The rust monster has colonies of that bacteria all over its antennae, with perma-Haste cast on the bacteria?

Hmm, now I want to add this to my mini-Tomb of Annihilation dungeon. Because it sounds like the kind of spiteful malicious thing Acererak would do.
Maybe the rust monsters have been trained to come investigate when they hear the magnet trap activate ...
Maybe the magnet is lined with that bacteria?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thing is, now you can have that type of critter in your Supers or Sci-Fi game without having to counter assertions that it’s too unrealistic! ;)

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The displacer beast was based on a sci-fi story, so not totally nuts. ;)

Actually, the oxidation of iron to rust is energetically favored, so a monster that accelerates it isn't that nuts. The question is what it gets from the rust, thermodynamically speaking--it's a pretty low-energy substance.

Remove ads