• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Exorcist and Church Inquisitor Overpowered?

Methos

Explorer
Dracomeander said:
Now, I will agree that this one is overpowered. The drop to d6 for hit points doesn't even begin to balance the huge array of extras this class gives.

Hence the reason why the Radiant Servant of Pelor isn't allowed in the campaign. As a further note, out of the prestige classes in CD, I am only allowing the Warpriest, the Evangelist (even though no PC will take it; an NPC might have it) and both the Sacred Exorcist and the Church Inquisitor, although as indicated the other 2 will be modified slightly to account for what I believe to be power imbalances.

I nerfed all of the other possible prestige classes presented for one of 3 reasons:

1. Imbalanced and overpowered,
2. Doesn't fit the campaign conceptually,
3. Doesn't provide enough in the way of attributes that can't be filled by another class or multi-class combination.

Cheers

Methos

Methos

Explorer
Seeten said:
He didnt say "A level" he said 5-7 levels.

Sorry, my bad. I meant to say 1 or 2 levels in total. So, I would remove the spellcasting progression at 1st level (a certainty), and then possibly at one more level which would occur at one of the levels 5, 6, or 7.

Also, I might only remove 1 level from each class, or 1 level from one of the 2 classes noted, and 2 levels from the other. I haven't quite made the final determination.

cheers

Methos

Methos

Explorer
UltimaGabe said:
If losing a level or two of progression makes nobody take it, then so be it- if PCs are only taking a class because it gives them a benefit with no drawback, then the class shouldn't have been there to begin with.

I agree completely which is why in my campaign, prestige classes are there for character and campaign development and are considered truly prestigious.

MoonZar

Explorer
Methos said:
Hence the reason why the Radiant Servant of Pelor isn't allowed in the campaign. As a further note, out of the prestige classes in CD, I am only allowing the Warpriest, the Evangelist (even though no PC will take it; an NPC might have it) and both the Sacred Exorcist and the Church Inquisitor, although as indicated the other 2 will be modified slightly to account for what I believe to be power imbalances.

I nerfed all of the other possible prestige classes presented for one of 3 reasons:

1. Imbalanced and overpowered,
2. Doesn't fit the campaign conceptually,
3. Doesn't provide enough in the way of attributes that can't be filled by another class or multi-class combination.

Cheers

Methos

BTW this very good DMing to take the time to select the class you allow and the one you don't allow at the beginning of the campaign.

Methos

Explorer
Dracomeander said:
I don't see why you feel they are overpowered. They both lose the good Fort save progression and the Church Inquisitors give up improving their Turning ability. If your players are good enough in those areas to qualify for the class in your eyes, why do you feel the need to penalize them for advancing your story?

I don't have my books in front of me, but I thought both the Sacred Exorcist and the Church Inquisitor received ongoing improvement in their Turning ability?

I'm not sure that I see modifying these classes as a penalty, I do think that there are potentially some balance issues with these 2 classes compared to a "core cleric" (which already many people maintain is the most powerful class). I could be wrong, however. Lord knows that happens a lot!

Fundamentally, in my campaign, my opinion is that a prestige class should not provide an overwhelming increase in power compared to a core build.

Methos

Explorer
MoonZar said:
BTW this very good DMing to take the time to select the class you allow and the one you don't allow at the beginning of the campaign.

Thank you, but I'm not sure all of the other players will appreciate it!

LOL

cheers

Methos

MoonZar

Explorer
Methos said:
Thank you, but I'm not sure all of the other players will appreciate it!

LOL

cheers

Methos

This depend, if your players want to optimize at the maximum to do power gaming of course they will be unhappy.

But in the long run maybe they will be happy to have learn a new style of game, where roleplay and story is all above skills and powers.

Personnaly i use many prestige class in my world, but i don't allow people to pick two prestige class together, this avoid the downfall...

Lately i started a game as a players and the DM only allow the PHP and the DMG that's it. I was a little worried at the beginning, but this so refreshing to play back at the core of the system and i never had so much fun in DnD, because we concentrate our effort at the story/roleplay and not at the character progression and power.

After all the more prestige class and stuff you add in a campaign, the greater risk you have to fall in an unbalance situation...

IcyCool

First Post
MoonZar said:
This depend, if your players want to optimize at the maximum to do power gaming of course they will be unhappy.

But in the long run maybe they will be happy to have learn a new style of game, where roleplay and story is all above skills and powers.

Actually, I don't think very many people like having options taken away. Whether they were going to take the option because it was powerful or because it fit their character concept, I think they will be equally unhappy.

That said, it's your campaign, and your word is law.

Methos

Explorer
MoonZar said:

As part of the Character Creation and Development Guidelines for my campaign which have been distributed to the players, I have a section on what prestige classes represent in the campaign and some general guidelines as to possible additional requirements in addition to the stated "technical" requirements in order to qualify for a prestige class. It also indicates that the player should work with the DM in order to accomplish their desire to move into a prestige class. As a result, it is extremely unlikely (probably close to a 0% chance) that a PC when advancing a level will be able to say to me, "I'm taking a level in "X Prestige Class" without having worked with me in advance on the concept.

I've been quite purposeful as to why I've set up these guidelines up front, mostly to encourage some role-playing and character development and avoid any misunderstandings. I also believe that I'll be able to provide better adventures for the players since it will heip to understand what types of adventures they want, so I can develop some good adventure hooks.

Having said that, I also recognize that of the 5 players in the campaign, 2 are very strong role-players and enjoy "campaign building", 2 are somewhat strong, and 1 is essentially a classic "hack and slash" individual, who is a very fun player, but just isn't that interested in the role-playing aspect. As a result, I'm not unreasonable in my request to "work with the DM". I'm pretty lenient, and if any of the 5 players come to me with some reasonable rationale as to why their character should eventually qualify for a given prestige class, I'll make it relatively easy for them to qualify.

Cheers

Methos

Methos

Explorer
IcyCool said:
Actually, I don't think very many people like having options taken away. Whether they were going to take the option because it was powerful or because it fit their character concept, I think they will be equally unhappy.

That depends on whether the players have been given opportunities to still meet their character concept within the campaign.

If a character has a well thought out character concept, they will be able to achieve their goal with 100% certainty in my campaign. The player will have the opportunity through the events of the campaign.

Also, I'm of the camp that believes that not every prestige class that has been created belongs in my campaign, whether that is because it goes against the flavor and theme of the campaign, or because it is just too uber-powerful. I personally don't think that prestige classes should overpower core classes in terms of their raw power. But, everyone is different...............

Cheers

Methos

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads