• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Exorcist and Church Inquisitor Overpowered?

MoonZar

Explorer
IcyCool said:
Actually, I don't think very many people like having options taken away. Whether they were going to take the option because it was powerful or because it fit their character concept, I think they will be equally unhappy.

That said, it's your campaign, and your word is law.

I don't known, i was very happy to play a campaign with only the PHB and i'm the kind of guy who like option and customization with character.

Anyway maybe Methos will provide us with feedback about this experience.

Methos

Explorer
MoonZar said:
I don't known, i was very happy to play a campaign with only the PHB and i'm the kind of guy who like option and customization with character.

So far, there have not been any complaints about the basic premise of advancing to a prestige class and I know that the players have all read through the Character Creation and Development guidelins. I have not provided a final list of prestige classes, except for the fact that all prestige classes in the DMG are allowed except the Shadowdancer. I nerfed the Shadowdancer because it just doesn't fit with the campaign. All of the other DMG classes are generic enough to have a place in my campaign, or have a valid reason to be in the campaign (the Horizon Walker comes to mind). As it stands right now, I'm allowing 1 class from Complete Arcane, 3 from CW, 4 from CD (subject to adjusting 2 of them), and I think 4 from Complete Adventurer, but the players haven't see the final list yet.

We've all played together previously, so the players know (at least I think they do) that I'm not going to be unreasonable about how they come up with reasons for qualifying for a prestige class.

Cheers

Methos

IcyCool

First Post
MoonZar said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that you are a bad GM if you limit the options available to a player. I was just pointing out that not everyone who is unhappy with your limitations is a power gamer.

MoonZar

Explorer
IcyCool said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that you are a bad GM if you limit the options available to a player. I was just pointing out that not everyone who is unhappy with your limitations is a power gamer.

You're right that not because you don't like it thart you'e a powergamer.

I was just refering to this group in particular who would probably cry with such limitation.

Sorry if i lowered your opinion in my other post or something, this was not the intention :)

Dracomeander

First Post
MoonZar said:
Personnaly i use many prestige class in my world, but i don't allow people to pick two prestige class together, this avoid the downfall...

I can see where this could be a reasonable request most of the time as well as Methos' requirement to advance all the way through a Prestige Class before considering another. However, with those restrictions, I would have lost out on playing one of the funnest characters I've played in 3.x Ed.

My character concept from level one was an elven rogue/wizard working toward becoming an Arcane Archer. He was totally focused on archery and becoming one of the elven elite. However, he was also extremely concerned with freedom and the rights of others to live their lives without interference/oppression. The way I was playing the character the DM pointed out the Holy Liberator to me and suggested I consider combining it with the Arcane Archer alternating levels in each.

The combination was a much better fit for how that character presented himself in the world and was not overpowering. The abilities of each class were complimentary, but by trying to advance both, the abilities were received at a much slower rate.

My point is, I think you need to be flexible enough to know when the concept of a character merits the bending of any unilateral rules you may have laid out before the campaign begins. If your players are mature enough, they will recognize the difference between layering on classes and abilities and fullfilling a strong character concept.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads