• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sacred Fist Sacred Flame ability?

gnfnrf

First Post
My Sacred Fist character has just unexpectedly leveled up quite quickly (it involved a demi-lich, a bag of holding, and a prismatic wall, better if you don't ask) and I'm about to get the Sacred Flame ability granted at 7th level.

However, I don't get how it works.

Activating the ability is a standard action, but what does that encompass?

Is it activate as a SA, then use for one attack, expending it? If so, does it expire after a single hit, a single attack, a single round, what? Is there simply a duration? If so, how long? Or does the SA of activating the ability include a single attack with it?

I'm confused.

--
gnfnrf

Soltares

First Post
It doesn't really say how long it lasts, other than to state that it can be combined with a Flurry of Blows (so at least one full round after it is activated, since it is a Standard Action to turn on).

It is significantly lowering your damage output, since it doesn't stack with Str / Expertise / etc (being basically a form of Brilliant Energy for your fists, it seems), although possibly damaging things that you couldn't otherwise with your +3 fists, so I would be willing to listen to a players arguments that it should last longer (say rounds equal to the Wisdom modifier, if positive).

gnfnrf

First Post
Lowering? You go from 1d8 (1d6 if small) + STR to 1d6+Wis+SacF level. For me, anyway, that is a significant raise in damage potential.

Anyway, does anyone know if there has been an official clarification of the rules for this? I can't find one anywhere, and my email to the Sage gets bounced.

--
gnfnrf

hong

WotC's bitch
Given that there's no mention of the power deactivating after a time, I'd assume it's meant to be like the weapon enchantments like flaming, frost, etc -- you switch them on, and they stay on indefinitely. Mind you, I have no idea how balanced this would be.

Remove ads