• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Saddest Song Ever

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
blargney the second said:
I can't remember the name of the song, and it's certainly the wrong genre. That song by Pearl Jam where the guy has a car crash, his girlfriend dies, and he can't wait to die and go to heaven to see her.
It's called The Last Kiss, and is a cover; the original was done in the early-mid '60's by I forget who.

I suspect it won't be nearly long enough for background music for even part of a game session...

Lanefan

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
"Long, Long Time Ago" (or Pan's Labyrinth Lullaby) is about as sad as it gets, plus it's hummed so it's easy to actually imagine a character performing.

The Long And Winding Road (the Beatles) I think would fit in a fantasy game well.

American Pie (Don McLean) is a classic sad song, though its culturally specific references might make it hard to use in a fantasy game.

About half of Enya's songs make great sad background music if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Testament

First Post
Far too short, but "A Gap in a Dream" from the End of Evangelion soundtrack is heartbreaking. From the same source, "Invasion by Substitution" is also sad.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Maybe you could do something sorta funny instead of invoking real despair. Or is it your aim to generate a palpable sense of melancholy in your players during the session? Something akin to horror in a horror game?

I'm guessing not. My suggestion is "Everybody Hurts" by REM. Folks get it right away.

Drowbane

First Post
Ravilah said:
I like to have music during my games--especially when there actually IS music being played in the game (at taverns, street performances, temples, etc).

I want to include a Night Twist in my next session, and it produces a song sad enough to induce crushing despair.

Any ideas on the saddest, most haunting, melancholy song ever?

R

Of fairly recent songs...

Gollum's Song as sung at the end of LoTR: the Two Towers

Drowbane

First Post
blargney the second said:
I can't remember the name of the song, and it's certainly the wrong genre. That song by Pearl Jam where the guy has a car crash, his girlfriend dies, and he can't wait to die and go to heaven to see her.
-blarg

Last Kiss. Pearl Jam just covered it (its not "by" them). That is indeed a sad song.

edit: I see Lanefan scooped me. hehe

Stalker0 said:
Nothing Else Matters by Apocolyptica. If you get just the instrumentals, its a pretty sad song.

Good call man! Nothing Else Matters as done on 4 cellos... (with no vocals)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads