• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sage Answer: Haste & 5ft Step(s)

IceBear

Explorer
Hehehehe :)

Naw - threads that get too long are too cumbersome :)

As for my earlier question, that's what I get for not reading all the relevant posts to understand where the argument was coming from :)

IceBear

Uller

Adventurer
SpikeyFreak said:

I'm kinda curious to see if we can get this thread as long as the last one.

Care to help?

--Slowing Spikey

Not to mention post count...on the previous boards, mine(as UllerPSU) was up around 1500 or so...having less than 100 is just embarassing...

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Uller said:

No...I meant "WHY" would the designers have intended it that way? What logic did they have to limit 5' steps with MEAs, but not Partial actions? Partial actions(even without considering the ramifications of haste and AoOs) are frequently interspersed with moves and MEAs.

Beats me, I didn't write the core rules. Regardless of what they intended it's what they put down in ink that counts. Beyond that, we are dealing solely with interpretations (and then house rules). I can offer explanations, but I don't *know* why.

It's not the "why" we are discussing. It's, if by the letter of the rules, two 5-foot steps could be taken in a single round by a hasted character. By the rules, I cite one can using a full round + partial action and point to the fact there isn't a clause that says "only one 5-foot step, per round, period." But that's just me.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Uller said:

Not to mention post count...on the previous boards, mine(as UllerPSU) was up around 1500 or so...having less than 100 is just embarassing...
I'm in the same boat. I was up to about 1500 on the other boards too.

--Small Spikey

IceBear

Explorer
I'm not sure what mine was, but I believe it was over 1000. Part of me what's my new one to be higher, the same part of me that made me post this reply :D

IceBear

Corwin

Explorer
I don't understand this need to get your post count up. Is it vanity? Ego? Boredom?

Is having a high post count supposed to signify something?

I think it's a pointless waste of...

Hey, my post count just went up by one for doing this. Cool! :)

(All in fun.)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
This thread has degenrated into a post count increasing thread, which clearly belongs in Meta. Any Mods around?

Plus, I refuse to take part.

--Post.Count = Post.Count + 1 Spikey

Uller

Adventurer
Cloudgatherer said:

Beats me, I didn't write the core rules. Regardless of what they intended it's what they put down in ink that counts. Beyond that, we are dealing solely with interpretations (and then house rules). I can offer explanations, but I don't *know* why.

I disagree. The "why" does matter in two cases:

1) When you encounter a situation not covered in the rules, you have to look to situations that ARE covered and apply the rules that cover them as closely as possible without doing something non-sensical. To do this, you must not only know the rules, but understand what was intended.

2) When the rules as written are poorly worded or overly confusing or contrary to other rules.

We are clearly in case 2. The rules as written are poorly worded and not clear. Since the strict letter of the rules as you interprit them lead to all sorts of inconsistancies, then they must have meant something else or didn't consider even the most basic circumstances(which seems unlikely to me in this case).

I argue that there are only two possibilities: 1) Arty's interpritation that for it to be a 5' step, it must not provoke an AoO, so only one per round is possible or 2) IceBear's interpritation that the extra partial action from haste is a seperate "round".

In fact, these two are not necessarily exclusive.

Remove ads