• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour Returns (new thread started on 5/18/08)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Uzumaki, if the Company had gone into the Lightless Room without Step's illumination, it would have taken about 2 or 3 rounds for the hundreds of tentacles to pull them all apart. Maybe 4 for Dranko, who had a ridiculous HP total going in.

Artoomis, it always goes to my head when a lurker de-lurks to pay a compliment to the Story Hour. Thanks! :)

As KidC mentioned, the Company was absurdly buffed going into this fight. Every PC had at least half a dozen magic effects augmenting his or her abilities. And a good thing, too! For the record, the Masses had 476 HP each, and the Trunk had over 900!

-Sagiro

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Fajitas said:
What kind of understanding did they have about what was going on? At that point, were they still thinking that the Cleaners were somehow part of the "proper" functioning of Het Branoi, as opposed to some external, invasive force? Was it clear to them that the room was linked to the Cleaners at all, or did it just seem like a random room full of tentacles? Did they have any idea why the Cleaners were there?

Oh, we knew it wasn't a random room full of big tentacles. We weren't quite sure what it was. I think if we had known about Fgogl at the time, it would have been even scarier than it was; even so, we were terrified and armed for bear. Eye-of-Moirel-esque crystal bears, at least; we thought that there was something horrible back there that was infected by an eye of Moirel, and because of the tentacles we thought it might be a cleaner itself.

It was fun watching a 6' tall Ernie kicking tentacular butt. In comparison I'm not sure I did any damage whatsoever in the fight; Dranko was on healing duty for a change, and never landed a single attack that I remember.

We all thought the blue glow was an eye itself. You should have heard us groan when we found out it was a portal!

KidCthulhu

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
For some reason a 6' tall halfling seems.... well, wrong :)

Yeah, it felt wrong to me for a little while. But then I opened up the can of whup a**, "NOW WITH 50% MORE WHUP" and I forgot all about the wrong.

Fade

First Post
I have a technical question which I hope Ernie (or perhaps Dranko) will be able to help me with: When faced with a 100' tentacle, how does one go about locating the butt in order to kick it? Since it lacks a spine as such, the usual method of following this down to the base is ineffective.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Fade said:
I have a technical question which I hope Ernie (or perhaps Dranko) will be able to help me with: When faced with a 100' tentacle, how does one go about locating the butt in order to kick it?

My tried and true method is just to kick everything, and eventually you'll find the butt. Although usually by that time the point is moot (and often squishy).

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
While not as nasty (or dramatic) as Fgogl and its offspring/minions, my campaign recently featured interdimensional tentacles coming through tears in the fabric of reality and the veils between planes to attack the party. . .

Funny how when some sto. . . uh, I mean, borrowed ideas are incorporated into a game they sometimes lead to a similar series of events or ideas for encounters even when you didn't know what direction the source was originally going in. . . :cool:

Anyway, great great great great stuff as usual, Dorian, caps off to you!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads