• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 336
Tombs of Dead Gods

The enormous spherical sand creature hovers a few feet from the ground, holding its shape and solidity while occasionally exhibiting slight deformations. Three of its extended pseudopodia lash out; Grey Wolf ducks beneath one, but Dranko and Flicker are sent flying backward to land prone and bruised. Ernie watches his friends soar past him, then drops a flame strike down on the sand-sphere. It resists. Ernie curses. For good measure he follows up with a quickened searing light, and this penetrates the guardian’s resistance, burning a small hole through its mass. The Company notes with relief that the sand knocked free of the creature’s body falls inertly to the floor.

Aravis looks back at Flicker and Dranko with some satisfaction. “Nice of everyone to get out of my way,” he mutters, before casting a maximized cone of cold. A significant chunk of the monster’s sandy bulk is flash-frozen, after which it drops with a clunk to the amethyst floor.

As Dranko gets to his feet and advances, a huge spray of sand blasts from the creature’s eye. Almost everyone is covered with a fine coating of silicate, which immediately starts to harden. Those so affected find it much harder to move. Only Dranko and Aravis (not quite in its range) and Morningstar (wearing a ring with freedom of movement) are unimpaired.

Flicker gets to his feet, but only barely; the sandy coating is like a stiff suit of skin-tight armor. And the creature attacks again, this time kicking out a storm of flying grit that burns skin off of everyone in the hallway. Morningstar casts a mass cure critical wounds to undo the damage, and Kibi blasts the sphere with his own cone of cold. In response, the creature flicks three of its tentacles again, and this time Morningstar and Grey Wolf are sent flying, to slam painfully into the walls.

Ernie, crusted with sand, is just able to move his arms enough to cast a mass cure moderate wounds. Aravis casts lightning ring and steps up right next to the sand-sphere, while Dranko lashes the thing several time with his whip. He frowns as most of his whip-cracks go right through its sandy body without much damaging effect.

It again sprays the Company with silicate. Aravis finds himself slowed like the others… and the coating on Kibi and Flicker hardens completely, effectively rendering them petrified! Grey Wolf has barely stood back up again when it unleashes another sand-storm, flying around painfully in all directions. Morningstar casts another mass cure critical, but she’s not sure she’s keeping up with the guardian’s damage output, and her spell has no effect at all on her petrified allies. Even as she ponders this, it smacks Dranko and Grey Wolf with powerful sand-tendrils, and they are sent careening away.

Ernie pegs the sand-sphere with holy star, burning a small hole into it. Aravis then strikes it with two free lightning bolts from his lightning ring, and it takes yet more electricity damage just from Aravis’s proximity. Now there are huge piles of lifeless sand all over the floor, and pieces of glass are caught up in its roiling body. Aravis then casts haste on Ernie, which breaks apart the sand-coating that slows him.

Dranko reaches into his mind, the insane part, and stops time. Every grain of sand freezes, perfectly distinct, and he watches them, fascinated. It’s just lovely. But then he remembers himself, and moves gingerly around to the far side of the sphere. He heals himself with a wand, and readies an attack for when time resumes. When it does, he flicks his whip and removes another sizable chunk of sand from its mass. Grey Wolf immediately follows up with another channeled acid orb, but this one does little damage.

Again the sphere erupts in sand, and again Morningstar follows with a mass curative. Aravis delivers another round of electrical attacks, and now the sand-sphere is clearly having trouble maintaining its integrity. It wobbles and dips, but it still has enough binding magic to unleash another slowing spray. Aravis and Ernie, already coated, join Kibi and Flicker as sand-encrusted statues. Only Morningstar, Grey Wolf and Dranko are still in the fight.

Fortunately, that’s enough. Grey Wolf’s rainbow beam is blocked by the thing’s resistance, but Morningstar drops a final flame strike upon it, and that one it fails to resist. It crashes to the ground, forming an inanimate sand-pile that eventually comes to rest.

/*/

With the Sand Sphere’s dissolution, the hardened sand-shrouds on half the Company break apart. As they heal up, Dranko peers down the hallway, wondering what else might be down here.

“If we die here, does that make us Gods?” he wonders aloud.

“Or maybe they’d toss our bodies out,” says Flicker, “and that’s how we’re going to ‘escape.’”

Ernie gives Dranko a stern look. “There are cockroaches even in fine inns,” he says, “but that doesn’t make them patrons.”

After shaking the last of the sand from their hair and clothing, the Company continues their march down the long straight amethyst hallway. In a minute they have come even to the left-facing branch they had spotted before the sand-creatures’ assault. Like the previous one, they can see down into a square burial chamber, and again the lid seems to have been rudely levered from its sarcophagus. Again, there are two words above the branching hall, one of them unreadable. The second labels this as the resting place of Caba, and His symbol is a splash of red like a dancing flame. Only Aravis can make any progress down the hallway, and as before it feels like he’s facing into a strong wind. But where in Leantha's hall he gained a sense of great knowledge in the unreachable crypt, here he feels a rising heat. Half way down he can will himself no further, and more, he feels that he would burn if were to get any closer.

“Leantha was a Goddess of Knowledge,” says Aravis, rejoining the others, “and Caba was a God of Fire, or perhaps a Sun God.”

They pass two more branches of a similar sort, alternating right and left. The first is for a deity called Aranod, and Aravis senses his crypt is an infinite expanse. The symbol above the name is a star beside a crescent moon. Aravis stares at the unreadable word beneath the name Aranod; the characters have an alien, elusive feel about them. He almost thinks he could read it, but always his mind slides away from their meaning.

The next branch leads to the tomb of the God Kazon, and beneath his name is carved the image of a spider. With a gulp Aravis tests this branch like he did the others, and half-way down is stricken with horror, as if his skin is crawling with thousands of tiny arachnids. At least in these last two tombs – for Aranod and Kazon – the sarcophagi are undisturbed, their huge stone lids intact.

For a few minutes more there are no more branches, and then the pattern is broken; up ahead there are two branches at the same junction, one to the left, the other to the right. As the party draws near, Ernie cannot stifle a gasp; above one of the halls is the symbol of Yondalla, and above the other is the symbol of Ell. For the briefest of moments, the thought goes through his mind: Have Yondalla and Ell died? But Grey Wolf allays his fears: the name beneath the triangle symbol of Ell is Aurelia, and beneath the Yondallan shield is the name Nemmin. Both names are accompanied by a second illegible word. The names are unfamiliar, though Ernie has a vague recollection of seeing the name Nemmin on an ancient roll of church heroes.

The sarcophagi in both of these chambers are undisturbed. Morningstar tries to walk down the towards Aurelia’s tomb, but cannot take even a single step. It’s maddening; she feels as though she could go forward, even that she is meant to, but she cannot will her feet to physically take her there. Ernie experiences the same with Nemmin’s tomb. Morningstar tries dropping into Ava Dormo, and there is the same hallway, this time with some bright thing glowing in the tomb that she can sense but not see. Something very powerful is there, beckoning her, but even in dream she is barred from Aurelia’s resting place. She sighs in frustration. “I’m sorry,” she breathes. “I’m not strong enough to make the journey.” And she prays, achieving a remarkable serenity and happiness. There is something good and proper about this place and whatever is in it. But her prayer brings no tangible benefit.

She drops out of Ava Dormo. “There’s something very Ellish down there.”

As before, Aravis is able to go about half-way down each hallway. Towards Aurelia, he feels as though he’s falling asleep. Towards Nemmin, he feels himself becoming strong and desirous of battle.

Aravis muses out loud. “What is the significance of these being next to each other?”

Dranko shrugs. “Maybe Aurelia and Nemmin died together in the same battle?”

After another hundred feet, the hallway again starts to slope gently downward, and soon after opens up into a large round room, off of which many narrow halls radiate like spokes of a wheel. The floor is still sandy, though without footprints. The Company stops, scratching their collective heads. There is no indication of which way to go next.

From the shadows of the hallway opposite them, there is movement, and a robed person steps out. He appears solid – no apparition, this – and his footsteps crunch in the sand. He has a pale, handsome face, almost disturbing in its perfection, flawlessly symmetric and unblemished. An idealized human face. He wears a long black robe with a glowing rune of Drosh emblazoned on the front.

“Greetings,” says Ernie, trying to remain calm.

The being gives the Company a long stare.

“We beg your pardon for disturbing the peace,” says Aravis. “We seek two who do not belong here.”

The Droshian turns to regard Aravis, and stares a moment longer before responding. “Aravis, they have already gone.”

“Poo!” blurts Ernie.

The newcomer turns to him. “Ernest, that language is not appropriate in this place.”

Ernie turns red. “You’re quite right. I apologize.”

“How do you know our names?” asks Dranko.

The being answers more quickly. “Now that I am standing in your presence, I know you quite well, Dranko Brightmirror.”

He turns to regard Dranko, and his neutral expression suddenly contorts. He leans backward.

“I’m sorry,” says Dranko, knowing immediately what the being senses. “I’m carrying around a hitchhiker.” Madness… madness…

“You should not be so glib,” says the Droshian.

“I’m not.”

The being recovers his equilibrium and peers again at Dranko. “No. You’re right. Your glibness is a façade.”

He looks at each of the others in turn, naming them. “Morningstar. Grey Wolf. Or would you prefer Ivellios? Kibilhathur. Flicker. My name is Viersk. I welcome you all more than the previous two. Meledien. Tarsos.”

“What did they do?” Ernie asks.

Viersk frowns. “They killed…all of us. I am now the only remaining guardian. This place cannot be left without a guardian. As such, I have only recently been born.”

Dranko grimaces. “What did they want?”

“Wards,” says Viersk. “Wards of Drosh. Wards that allow them to exist in the presence of strong divinity. Which they took.”

Kibi glances back down the hallway. “Are they the ones that plundered the first two tombs we found?”

“Yes,” says Viersk. “Two they plundered. They might have taken more, but the more dangerous guardians here were starting to reform. Meledien and Tarsos fled. But they have Leantha’s Shield, the Bulwark of Knowledge, and they have the Spear of Caba.”

“How long ago did they leave?” Kibi asks.

“It was months ago now,” answers Viersk.

Dranko swears silently to himself. “So they took the wards from the old caretakers, and that let them raid the tombs?”

“That, or perhaps they were already able to go inside,” says Viersk. “They were possessed of a remarkable evil power. They had some mimicry of Godhood about them, different from yours, corrupt. Be thankful that it no longer afflicts you.”

When none of the Company says anything, Viersk continues. “But, it is… nice… to have you here. I sense that I have been, and will be, very lonely. I do not think that there will be more of my kind.”

“Why not?” asks Dranko. But he knows the answer.

“Because Drosh has left us,” says Viersk. “This place is not as it should be. No one should be able to plunder the tombs. No mortals, however bolstered, should be able to defeat the Tree, or the Guardians of the Hall. But Meledien and Tarsos did it. And you must have done it. That would not be possible if Drosh were still sponsoring this place. It makes me very sad that he has abandoned me, and abandoned Naslund.”

“A new god has taken his place,” says Dranko. “Perhaps he will cause more of you to appear.”

Viersk says nothing, but shakes his head. He has no faith that Myr Madar will provide succor.

...to be continued...

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We felt bad for Viersk. Crushing loneliness is no way to go through eternity.

Meanwhile, I've been reading through StevenAC's glorious collected PDFs in order to salve me missing the campaign. I'm on page 756 or so. It's interested how stark the difference is between the beginning (brief campaign summaries to remind Sagiro what happened), the middle (about where we encountered the Crosser's Maze around page 150). and the ending that is fully written as a story. Really superb writing. It's fun to recall bits that I'd totally forgotten, such as some of the details of Dranko's encounter with the demonic Lord Tapheon. Knowing how the campaign ends, it's also wonderful to watch all the pieces falling into place even though we didn't recognize it at the time. This bit right here in Naslynd, with Caba and Leantha, is one of those pieces.

wolff96

First Post
Sigh... Always with the teasing of future events.

I really liked the psuedo-Beholder fight, with the gradual paralysis. It's a nice touch and a very evocative re-skinning, with the sand hardening into place. Creepy to think about, too, which adds to the scene.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We're using 3.5, but Sagiro had some really nice 4e monster tactics in this fight. For instance, the big solo monster got to act on (iirc) three different initiative counts. that way it stayed active and threatening throughout the round, and our tactical situation kept changing. I cryed foul at the time but in retrospect like it much better than traditional monster design where the big monster gets all its attacks at once.

What was the party doing 'months ago' when Meledian and Tarsos where in here plundering and did the items they took make a battle or something more difficult later for the party?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
What was the party doing 'months ago' when Meledian and Tarsos where in here plundering and did the items they took make a battle or something more difficult later for the party?

Answering each of these:

1. Around the time Meledien and Tarsos were plundering Naslund, the Company was fending off an assassination attempt by Lord Dafron.

2. [spoiler redacted]

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Sagiro, I have posted it before, but not in your (I hope) "direct presence" congratulations. I cannot tell you the anticipation I feel to hear the rest of the story. It is truly a pleasure to have to read.

Kudos also must be paid to the fabulous work of [MENTION=12319]StevenAC[/MENTION] for the pdf's.

I sincerely hope you will "novelize" this SH. The commitment of your players and yourself certainly warrant it. (shameless plug warning) I'll be happy to illustrate any scenes you want. :)

I can only hope my own SH will tell such a remarkable tale (and reach such readership!!!). You (and Abernathy's Company) inspire me, constantly.

Congrats and well done!
--SD

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads