• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Solarious

Explorer
For me, this is the turning point: everything gathers momentum from here. The noise you hear, at least in my memory, is the roller coaster cresting the rise.
I'd say.

Remember back when the world changed, the Emperor's goal was to continually dig down into the earth beneath Tal Hae? And now people digging deep into the earth have suffered a complete morality degradation to complete psychopath... why, its almost as if they were exposed to the Evil Black Goo of the Adversary. I'm sure this is a complete coincidence and it will in no way get worse and even more horrible to learn more about.

By the way, how's Flicker doing with King Farazil hanging out in his head?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 345
Uncharted Territory

A curious guardsman fishes out his keys and spins them in his hand until he finds the right one. “You sure you’re okay being left along with him, sir?”

Dranko shows a tusky grin. “Yeah, I’m sure. You can wait outside in the hall.”

The guard unlocks the cell door and then hustles away, leaving Dranko to open it. The cell is dark, cramped, and smells of rat droppings. A man in the back, dressed in gray prison rags, saunters forward and looks Dranko up and down. Perhaps impressed with the half-orc’s Spire Guard uniform, along with his armor and weapons, the prisoner chooses to be cooperative.

“So,” says Dranko. “What are you in here for?”

The prisoner answers in a thick, dull voice. “Killed some guy.”

“Yeah? Do you do that a lot?”

“No.”

Dranko takes a deep breath. “So, if you had a choice, between being hanged tomorrow, and not being hanged, and allowing someone else’s personality to steer you for a while, what would your choice be?”

The prisoner looks confused, but does show he absorbed the first part of Dranko’s question. “Depends,” he says. “Do I still get hanged the day after tomorrow?”

Dranko tries another approach. “Well, see, I have a guy, he’s pretty cool, but he doesn’t have a body. It’s magic stuff.”

“Are you offering me a pardon?” The prisoner looks both perplexed and hopeful.

“Your body would be moving around, and your mind would be in there,” says Dranko. “You just wouldn’t be driving. Do you understand what I mean?”

“No.”

“Right,” says Dranko.

“Is this a pardon?” the prisoner presses.

“No.”

“Too bad.”

Dranko tries again. “If you could get a pardon, but never be the one in charge of your body again, would you do that?”

“Wait… what?”

Dranko sighs. “Look, have you ever been dominated?”

The rest of the Company has been following this exchange over the mind-link. Someone giggles. The prisoner doesn’t answer; he shifts nervously from one foot to the other, then picks his nose and wipes his finger on his shirt.

“We’d give your body a pardon,” blurts Dranko.

“My body. All right. That sounds good, I guess.”

“And for your mind, you’d be sleeping.”

The prisoner shakes his head. “I don’t get it. Don’t I have to be awake to accept my pardon?”

“No you’d… hmm. Do you ever sleepwalk?”

“How should I know? I’m asleep!”

“But you’re okay with this? Better than dying?”

The prisoner scratches face. “Yeah, but what’s this about sleepwalking?”

“Imagine you were walking around doing stuff, but didn’t remember it.”

“Wait,” says the prisoner. “Do I not remember it while I’m doing it, or not remember it later?”

“Neither.”

“But I’m doing it. No, wait, someone else is doing it? You know, I still don’t get it. You’re talking crazy.”

At this point the others urge Dranko over the mind-link to just get the poor condemned back to the Greenhouse, so Dranko calls for the guard to lock the door again, and then goes to find the local magistrate.

“My name is Dranko Brightshield, Knight of the Spire Guard,” he says, once he’s standing in the magistrate’s office. “You’ve got a prisoner due to be hanged tomorrow.”

“Yes,” nods the magistrate. “Anton Fish, his name is. Real piece of work, isn’t he? He committed murder in the course of a robbery.”

“How do you feel about remanding him into my custody?”

The magistrate gestures to Dranko’s uniform. “You have the authority, sir. Also, you’re a known associate of the Spire Guard – that group that lives on Baker Street, if I recall rightly? I didn’t realize you had been promoted. Congratulations.”

Dranko bites his tongue, and fills out the paperwork. A few minutes later two guards bring the prisoner into the magistrate’s office, hands and feet bound in chains.

“Anton Fish,” the magistrate intones. “You are now officially in the custody of the Spire Guard and Dranko Brightshield. The conditions of your release are that you do whatever this man says, and make no attempt to escape his custody. If you should violate the terms of your release, you will be returned here and your execution will be expedited and carried out at once. Do you understand all that?

“Expedited? What does…”

“Do what he says, or we’ll kill you after all,” the magistrate clarifies.

/*/

In the backyard of the Greenhouse, Farazil appraises his new body through Flicker’s eyes.

“If you’re going to use him as your pony,” Dranko explains, “then if you need to abandon him somewhere, do it where he can’t hurt anyone else.”

“Oh, I’ll bring him back,” Farazil promises. “Unless he gets killed, that is.” He looks expectantly at Dranko and asks, “Will I be a citizen of Charagan, once I’m legally and officially in the body of this man?”

Dranko shakes his head. “I don’t have the authority to make you a citizen.”

“You don’t?” Farazil sounds skeptical. “Big wigs like you? You’re just about the biggest wigs there are!”

“No, we’re not,” says Aravis. “There’s the King. There are dukes…”

Farazil interrupts. “Well, can you get the Duke to make me a citizen then?”

“I promise we’ll work on it,” says Aravis.

“Because that’s what I’m really after,” says Farazil. “Citizenship, and the… the acceptance that comes with it. I promise to be a good boy, but you promise to keep working on getting that for me, right?

“Yes,” says Aravis, “like I said, we promise.”

Farazil reaches out with Flicker’s arm and puts his hand on Anton’s shoulder. Flicker shudders and blinks his eyes.

“What happened?” he asks.

“That’s Farazil,” says Grey Wolf, pointing to Anton Fish.

“Can I punch him in the nuts?” asks Flicker.

“Now, that’s not very nice,” says Farazil with a chuckle. “I think I treated your body quite well. Consider, I could have jumped you off a bridge or in front of a moving cart any time I wanted! But it’s better if I stay on your relative good side.”

“You’ll never be on my relative good side,” hisses Ernie, “because you dominated my relative!”

Farazil ignores the belligerent halflings, and addresses Aravis. “So, the plan is, I take this body, and go see what I can find out about those inexplicable murders in Sentinel. I’ll be back when I know something.”

“We’ll keep in touch with sendings if anything comes up on our end,” says Dranko. “Say, do you have any money?”

“Gosh, Dranko, I don’t know!” exclaims Farazil. “Let me check the pockets of this condemned prisoner you found for me.” He makes a show of turning the pockets of his rags inside out. “Nope, no money! What a surprise!”

Dranko glowers and hands over a pouch with a hundred gold coins. “If you come back and we’re not here, find a room in an inn somewhere nearby.”

“You mean I can’t stay in the Greenhouse? It’s nice in there.”

“No,” says Ernie flatly.

“Just asking! Well, I’d best get started. Thank you all… I mean it. And I won’t let you down, I promise.”

And just like that, Farazil takes his leave of the Company.

/*/

Now… the island. The primary logistical hurdle is an inability to teleport to a location never visited. All they know is an approximate location, somewhere in the once-uncrossable sea, as shown in Leantha’s book.

“This should be no problem,” says Dranko.

“Oh?” Aravis raises an eyebrow. “And how are you proposing we find our mysterious island?”

“Easy,” says Dranko. “I ask the smartest person I know.” He gives Aravis a meaningful stare.

Aravis sighs.

They discuss various plans, and discard most of them. Sailing a ship around in the ocean would take too long. Ditto preparing thousands of scrolls of dimension door. Morningstar casts find the path, but it fails. (Could that mean the fissure with its Divination Sinks is on the island?) Then someone remembers that greater plane shift promises a precise landing location, unlike the 5-500 mile perturbation of the lesser version. That sets Aravis to making himself a larger version of Leantha’s drawing. He spends an hour drawing lines and doing math, and figuring a location that’s going to be extremely close to the island, assuming Leantha’s map is to a proper relative scale.

“Got it,” he says at last. “1600 miles due east from the eastern tip of Charagan, and then 550 miles north from there. We’ll need a plane shift to get off Abernia, and a greater plane shift to come back.”

“And a boat,” adds Kibi.

Since no one has greater plane shift prepared, the Company has to wait until the next morning to enact their plan. Bright and early they plane shift to Yoba’s home plane. There’s some small chance they’ll end up close enough to Yoba’s actual location for Ernie to pay his love a visit.

“I hope I get lucky,” he says, his wistful tone undermined by the leering snickers of Flicker and Dranko.

They land in a forest. It takes a few minutes for them to find a clearing large enough to unfold Burning Sail; they create the boat in its smaller aspect, propped up against a tree to keep it upright. They board the vessel, and Ernie casts greater plane shift, aiming for the spot Aravis indicated on their map of Abernia.

They appear in the middle of the ocean, as they expected. Before anyone can glance around to see if an island is visible from the deck, a huge wave sloshes over the side. Burning Sail is lifted high on a huge swell and rocked to a precarious pitch. They immediately transform the folding boat to its larger aspect, and drop the anchor to give them some drag, but even the heavier vessel is tossed around casually by the storm in which they’ve appeared. A powerful wind whips up spray, and combined with a cold, stinging rain, lowers visibility to near zero. The unseen servants do their best to prevent their ship from capsizing, though it’s not at all clear how long they’ll be able to succeed.

As the ship reaches the bottom of a swell, Aravis casts Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion, and the Company hurriedly piles into it, even while Dranko is folding the boat back into a small box. Sopping and panting from the effort, the party is soon sprawled just inside the doorway; the smell of the magical feast wafts over to them. Outside the door, the storm still rages, but for the moment that is forgotten. Only Dranko doesn’t immediately tuck into the gourmet repast; instead, he ties one end of a long rope to a stone column in the foyer and the other around his waist. After using a magic ring to effect water walking, he leaps out the door.

Over the mind-link the others can hear his glee. “I’m surfing the ocean in the middle of a storm, tied to a rope that’s dangling out of a mansion that’s hovering in mid-air. Do we have the greatest job in the world, or what?”

Aravis shakes his head. “Are we going to scout, or are we going to sit around abusing magic in various ways?”

“That second one,” answers Dranko.

/*/

After the meal, Morningstar gets down to the business of finding the island. She drops into Ava Dormo and exits the mansion; outside, the sea is like glass. The Dreamscape has no weather.

She has fully mastered the ability to divide her consciousness between her conscious and her dreaming minds. “I can see for miles in every direction. There’s no sign of the island,” she tells the others. At Aravis’s suggestion she flies upward, as high as possible before her vision of the ocean floor grows hazy. From there she starts an out-spiraling search pattern.

It takes about ninety minutes for her to spot the island, a tiny speck of land to the north-west. She flies towards it, and as she draws near she is better able to judge its size. The little land-mass is quite small, a rough oval two miles along its long axis, half a mile on the short. Most of the island is occupied by a single, towering mountain.

She flies around the island's perimeter, getting the lay of the land. There’s not much space for any buildings or habitation; the sandy shore runs right up to the foot of the mountain, buffered only by a sparse fringe of scraggly green-brown scrub. The mountain itself is a steep cone of unforested rock, lacking any trails or pathways.

But there is one relevant detail. Near the far side of the island, the base of the mountain is a sheer cliff rising up out of the sand. And in one place, that cliff side is gashed by a fissure at ground level, a ten foot wide crack that opens into either a cave or a tunnel. It looks conspicuously like the picture in Leantha’s book – the one showing a fissure flanked by Divination Sinks.

“I think we’re here.”

…to be continued…

Zelc

First Post
I'm rereading the story, and was wondering what would have happened if the group decided to stop the Stormknights from killing the Ventifact Colossus. I seem to remember from past comments that maybe the Sharshun's attempt to rewrite history would have been stopped, and instead Naradawk would have gotten through at Verdshane. Sagiro, how would you have handled the story if the party chose to go this along this route?

Sagiro

I'm rereading the story, and was wondering what would have happened if the group decided to stop the Stormknights from killing the Ventifact Colossus. I seem to remember from past comments that maybe the Sharshun's attempt to rewrite history would have been stopped, and instead Naradawk would have gotten through at Verdshane. Sagiro, how would you have handled the story if the party chose to go this along this route?

Oh, goodness, I have no idea. I probably had some ideas back when it was happening, but remember, that was about 15 years ago, and I have a very spotty long term memory.

I do remember thinking at the time that the party was highly likely to choose to prevent the turtle's rampage. I had a pretty good grasp on how my players thought, and they weren't likely going to choose the "let's let thousands of people get crushed by turtles with no real proof things will be better that way" option. As a result, I spent much more time thinking about the consequences of them stopping the Colossus.

KainG

Explorer
Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 345

Over the mind-link the others can hear his glee. “I’m surfing the ocean in the middle of a storm, tied to a rope that’s dangling out of a mansion that’s hovering in mid-air. Do we have the greatest job in the world, or what?”

Aravis shakes his head. “Are we going to scout, or are we going to sit around abusing magic in various ways?”

“That second one,” answers Dranko.

Haha! I love this! High-leveling adventuring really is the greatest job in the world.

Thanks for the update, Sagiro!

The prisoner('s body) given to Farazil was named Anton Fish.

When the party was in the alternate world in which the Emperor had won, they found a guy who took shelter in a furnace (!). Wasn't his name also Fish?

I'm too lazy to check the PDFs now

Coincidence... or conspiracy?!

Zelc

First Post
Oh, goodness, I have no idea. I probably had some ideas back when it was happening, but remember, that was about 15 years ago, and I have a very spotty long term memory.

I do remember thinking at the time that the party was highly likely to choose to prevent the turtle's rampage. I had a pretty good grasp on how my players thought, and they weren't likely going to choose the "let's let thousands of people get crushed by turtles with no real proof things will be better that way" option. As a result, I spent much more time thinking about the consequences of them stopping the Colossus.
Hah, I thought that might have been the case :). It was worth a try. Maybe the story of that alternate "reality" would have to be written by the fan fiction groups :p.

Thanks for the updates! It's an amazing story.

Sagiro

Just having one update was great: two is amazing! Thanks, Sagiro.
What about three? :)

Sagiro’s Story Hour, Part 346
The Girl Who Has Been Waiting

“I think we’re here,” Morningstar says to the others.

Dranko gestures to the banquet table. “But we still have a hundred courses left to eat!”

Morningstar casts dream anchor and brings the three wizards into Ava Dormo with her, taking them directly to the beach nearest the cleft in the cliff. They study the location for a few minutes, return to their bodies in the mansion, and the party prepares to teleport. Flicker stuffs one last cinnamon roll into his mouth before the party dangles themselves outside the mansion for a group translation.

One drawback of using Ava Dormo for scouting is that transient objects are not reflected in the Dreamscape. So it is that the party is unpleasantly surprised to find the beach strewn with bodies poking out of the sand. A small population of gulls is pecking at the briny flesh rotting upon their skeletons. They were humanoid but not human – tall, four-armed, muscular and with thick skin. They’ve likely been dead about six months. None in the party recognize their race, but it hardly matters now. There are fourteen bodies here, and every one of them has a charred hole burned into the center of its chest.

“I hate playing catch-up,” Dranko grumbles.

Beyond the smell of ordinary decay, the Company can detect the faintest whiff of Essence permeating the scene of carnage. Grey Wolf casts enhanced senses and finds that among the unpleasant odors, he detects the scent of dead human. Flicker notices a skeletonized human hand sticking poking its fingers up through the sand, and when he pulls, an entire human arm comes out, ripped from the socket of its absent owner. They’re not sure, but they think it’s a woman’s arm.

Dranko smiles. “Looks like Meledien’s been disarmed.” He takes the arm and drops it into a bag of holding.

There are two other objects that catch the party’s collective eye: at the base of the fissure, one on either side of its opening, are two enormous Divination Sinks, huge stone barrels glowing blue from within.

/*/

With mass darkvision applied, the Company enters the cracked opening in the side of the cliff. It leads to a long, narrow tunnel, straight as an arrow, boring through the mountainside. The floor is flat and polished, though the walls are rough-hewn, and the ceiling starts to descend as they progress. The minutes pass, marked only by the muffled echoes of their footsteps.

After a mile of this monotony, long after the pinpoint of light marking the entrance has disappeared behind them, the tunnel abruptly ends. The ceiling has come down to only eight feet, and the passage has narrowed to little more than five feet wide. In the floor, just short of the wall that marks the end of the tunnel, is a perfectly round hole. It starts a cylindrical shaft that plummets straight down into the darkness, past the range of their darkvision.

They tie a sunrod to the end of a long length of rope and slowly lower it into the shaft. The illuminated curved walls are a smooth, glistening stone. Down goes the sunrod into that perfect well, until the light is so dim it seems no more than the glimmer of a distant candle. Only after they have paid out some two hundred feet of rope does Dranko feel it touch the ground, the rope going slightly slack.

Something tugs on the rope, gently, three times. Dranko is so startled he nearly lets go.

“Who’s there?” he calls, but no answer rises up to meet his question.

He starts to pull the rope back up, and just for a second it resists, as if someone has grabbed the far end, but then it pulls free.

“Don’t pull it all the way back,” says Kibi. “Leave it most of the way down. I’m going to scout.”

The dwarf casts xorn movement and sinks into the floor. With Scree at his side, the two descend straight down parallel to the round shaft, offset by a few feet. He realizes that the Divination Sinks have cut off the telepathic bond he usually enjoys with his comrades, though he can still communicate mentally with Scree.

Still twenty feet short of the depth where the sunrod touched bottom, Kibi finds he can go no further. He has come against an impervious “floor” of blue marble, though ordinarily such stone would prove no barrier to him. Perhaps he has reached some sort of underground prison?

“Scree, I’m going to stick my head into the shaft and see what’s below us.”

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” asks Scree nervously. “If I volunteered to do that, you’d probably tell me not to.”

“Maybe,” admits Kibi. “But I need to learn what we’re dealing with.”

Kibi slowly sticks his head out of the solid rock and into the shaft, while effectively lying on his stomach atop the marble layer. He cranes his neck out and downward, and finds himself looking into a large round chamber. No, not entirely round – it’s a ten-sided room, and on each wall is a large symbol inlaid in gems. But before Kibi can focus on these symbols, he notices that directly below him, staring up and watching him intently, is a human girl, maybe nine years old. She’s wearing a simple blue dress, and her long brown hair hangs straight to her scrawny shoulders.

“Hi,” says Kibi, taken aback. “Are you… are you friendly?”

“Hey mister, that’s a neat trick!” says the girl.

“Thanks,” says Kibi. “So, uh, what are you doing down here?”

The girl smiles. “Waiting.”

“For what?”

“I don’t know! Maybe you?” Then she frowns. “You’re not with those other three people, are you?”

“No,” says Kibi quickly. “Are you?”

The girl makes a face, like she’s eaten something rotten. “Me? Of course not!”

“What did you think of them?” asks Kibi.

“Not very nice,” says the girl. “Oh, and I like your beard. It’s so fuzzy!”

“Thank you,” says Kibi again. “Have you always lived here?”

“Yes.”

“How old are you?”

The girl shrugs, lifting and lowering her dress a few inches. “I don’t know. I was asleep for a long time.”

“What woke you up then?”

The girl’s voice sounds a little unsure as she answers. “The people on the ships. And Posada. And the other one.”

“Did the people on the ships come here, then?” asks Kibi.

“No.”

“But you woke up once Posada’s Boundary came down?”

She scrunches up her face like she’s trying hard to remember something. “Yes. That sounds right.”

When Kibi doesn’t immediately offer another question, the girl poses the dwarf one of her own.

“Are you ready?”

“For what?” asks Kibi.

“To go into the Depths. That’s why you’re here, right?”

Kibi gulps. “You mean… underwater?”

The girl giggles. “Part of it probably is. I don’t know. I’ve never been there. I’m not allowed. I can only let people in.”

Kibi frowns. “Those people who came before us… did you let them in?”

The girl makes her sour-milk face again. “Them? No. I hid from them. But you know what’s weird? They let themselves in. And they’re not allowed to do that!”

“Can only Divine beings let others through, then?” asks Kibi.

“No, only me. That’s why Yulan put me here.”

Kibi recalls that Yulan is the Kivian God of Time and Reality, and Father of all the Kivian Gods.

“So, mister beardy, is it just you?”

“No, I have friends up there. We lowered the light down on a rope, and wondered who was down here when you tugged on it.”

“Oh, it’s just me. My name’s Ula.”

“My name is Kibilhathur Bimson,” says Kibi.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Bimson. Why are you in the rock like that?

“I don’t like climbing down ropes,” says Kibi. “It makes me nervous.”

“Oh,” says Ula. She peers upward into the well. “It looks like fun!”

“So,” says Kibi, “Those people who came before and let themselves in even though they weren’t supposed to. Did they take anything out when they left?”

Ula seems surprised at the question. “Oh, they didn’t come out. They can’t come out. It’s one-way.”

“So once you’re in the… the Depths… you’re in there forever?”

“As far I as I know. That’s the whole point of the Iron Barrier. No one goes in, no one goes out.” She gives Kibi a look of surprise that he didn’t know something so obvious.

“So what’s in the Depths?” asks Kibi.

“I don’t know exactly. A whole world. Like you have up there. Cities, civilizations, creatures… stuff like that. I’ve never actually been there.”

“Is there someone down in the Depths that can let people back up?”

“I doubt it. It would be against the rules!”

Kibi decides it’s time for the others to join the conversation. “Do you mind if my friends come down too?”

“Sure. I think you won’t hurt me. Not like those other people would have. There was something very wrong with them, you know. And they killed all the guardians! Can you imagine? I didn’t think they could do that, either. There’s something not right, here. But you’re right. Right?”

Kibi nods, smiles, and swims back up through the rock to join the rest of the Company. He relays everything about his encounter with Ula.

/*/

Soon enough, all seven of them are down in the ten-sided room. It’s spacious, some fifty feet across, with blue marble walls, floor and ceiling. Two metal rings, like handles, protrude from the center of the floor, directly beneath where the tunnel opens into the ceiling.

On each wall of the room is a symbol, set in silver gemstones: a loom; a tear-drop; a man on fire; a sword blade; a sun; a wave; a shield; a bloody crescent; a tree; and the Rune of Drosh. They are the symbols of each of the ten primary Deities of Kivia: in order, Manisette, Goddess of Creation; Heros, Goddess of Mercy; Nifi, God of Fire; Tiria, Goddess of Chaos; Kemma, God of the Sun; Posada, God of the Ocean; Palamir, God of Soliders; Dralla, Goddess of the Night; Quarrol, God of Nature; and Drosh, God of Death. Yulan himself is indicated with an hourglass symbol on Ula’s forehead.

“What about the ones who died?” asks Ernie.

“I think the room had more walls while I was sleeping,” says Ula. “I’m not sure, though.”

Ernie looks at the thin girl, slightly taller than himself. “Are you hungry?” he asks. “You’ve been here a long time…”

Ula smiles at him. “No, but thanks. Say, what’s your name?”

All of Kibi’s companions introduce themselves one at a time, and Ula nods politely at each until Dranko’s turn.

“Dranko? That’s a funny sounding name. Can you say it again?”

Dranko looks at Ula warily. “Dranko.”

“Dranko!” says Ula. “Dranko Dranko Dranko Dranko Dranko…”

“Do you get bored?” Dranko interrupts.

“No.”

“How did you hide from the others?” asks Grey Wolf, looking around the room. He doesn’t see any cover or other exits.

“Oh. Like this!”

Ula vanishes. A few seconds later she appears on the far side of the room.

“Where did you just go?” asks Ernie.

Ula shrugs. “I don’t know.”

“And you only appeared here when the sea became crossable?” asks Aravis.

“I think I was here all the time,” says Ula uncertainly. “I was just asleep. I think Yulan put me here not long after he first arrived.”

“And where did he come from?” presses Aravis.

“I don’t know.”

Dranko describes the persons of Tarsos, Meledien and Seven Dark Words. Ula nods. “Yeah, that was them. The greasy hair man was the worst. He’s the one who actually opened the door, and that doesn’t make sense, since I’m the only one who can open it. That’s the whole reason I’m here! Those three went in, but at least I know they can’t come back out. It’s only one way.”

“And how did they open it?” asks Grey Wolf.

“I don’t know. I didn’t see. I was hiding. If they can kill the guardians, they could kill me too!”

“Where is the door they opened?” asks Aravis.

Ula points to the handles set in the middle of the floor.

Aravis considers that if Adversary blood let his enemies pass, his own divine nature might let him succeed as well. “May I try opening them?"

“Sure, but it won’t work.”

She’s right. Aravis grips the rings and pulls, but they don’t budge.

“So,” says Dranko, “tell me about the place beyond this. The Depths.”

“Like I told your beardy friend, I’ve never been there. I think it’s like your world up on the surface, but underground.”

“You mentioned something called the Iron Barrier…?”

“Oh, yes! It’s what Yulan put around the world, to make sure all the people in the Depths wouldn’t come up and wipe out all the people on the surface. Because they could have done that, I think. It’s very big, it goes around the whole world, and it’s very thick.”

Kibi looks alarmed. “Do the people in the Depths want to destroy the surface?”

“I don’t know,” Ula shrugs. “I’ve never met them. Maybe. No one’s ever come up, so I think it doesn’t matter.”

“And your job is to let people through who want to go?” asks Kibi.

“No, my job is to figure out who should go through, and then open the door for them if I think they ought to.”

Kibi takes a deep breath. “Do you think we should go through?”

Ula’s young face breaks into a grin. “Yes, of course! Assuming that you’re ready, and have everything you need.”

“And what do we need?”

“I have no idea,” answers Ula. “But understand, once you go through, you can’t come back. So if you don’t have everything you need, then once you go, you won’t be able to do whatever it is you need to do. What do you want to do down there, anyway?”

“Stop those other three people from doing whatever awful thing they’re planning on,” says Kibi.

Dranko eyes the two metal handles in the floor. “I think we have everything we need,” he says.

“What if we need the Watcher’s Kiss?” asks Grey Wolf.

“We could cast a commune, just to be sure,” says Ernie.

“But what about the Divination Sinks?” asks Kibi.

That’s a problem easily mended. Aravis casts a rope trick, and Morningstar goes inside to ask questions of her Goddess. Dranko keeps Ula occupied by teaching her how to play cards.

Morningstar sits down in the little extra-dimensional pocket and casts her spell. Ell is with her.

Hi, Ell, Morningstar says with a weary wryness. “Guess where I am now?”

ASK YOUR QUESTIONS, CHILD

Do we need the Watcher’s Kiss before we descend into the Depths?

YES

Is there anything else we need, that we don’t have, before we descend into the Depths?

NO

Is there anything else we might want?

YES

Do you have any sense that Meledien, Tarsos and Seven Dark Words are present on the surface world?

I DON’T THINK THEY ARE

We suspect they’ve already been in the Depths for six months. Are we already too late?

NO

Should we seek the Watcher’s Kiss immediately?

SOONER IS BETTER

The people who were killed in their sleep. Did Octesian kill them?

YES

Should we seek Octesian before seeking the Watcher’s Kiss?

USE YOUR JUDGMENT

The murderers in Sentinel; is it imperative that we deal with that before going into the depths?

THE QUESTION IS TOO VAGUE

Are those murderers connected with a known enemy?

YES

Are they connected with Octesian?

NOT MEANINGFULLY

Are they connected with Meledien or Tarsos or Seven Dark Words?

YES

The task we need to do in the Depths -- does it have anything to do with the Thorn in Abernia’s side?

YES

Will Farazil substantively abuse the trust we’ve placed in him?

PROBABLY NOT, SHORT TERM

Is there a way to send Farazil back to where he came from?

YES, BUT HE WOULD RETURN

Is there a way to confine him to one body?

YES, WITH GREAT EFFORT

Will the dwarves be safer if we move them to Cloud Mountain?

SOME WILL

Will Azhant return?

I DON’T KNOW

Thank you, Dark Goddess

When Morningstar emerges and relays Ell’s answers, a nervous twitter passes through the group, given how close they were to pursuing their Black Circle quarry without first acquiring the Watcher’s Kiss. Having learned everything they’re likely to from Ula, and with a renewed sense of urgency, they bid her a fond farewell.

“Nice meeting you all,” she says with a smile and a wave. “I guess I’ll see you again pretty soon, huh?”

…to be continued…

Ula is interesting. I wondered what Ula's nature is--is she a god? Some form of avatar of Yulan? A construct of some sort? An empowered mortal? Did the Company spend time talking about that?

(It seems notable that her name is a subset of Yulan's, but...)

Remove ads