• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Hard to believe it's so few! Lots of action packed into those. Horrible, terrible action. And if Everett is waiting for Dranko to get what's coming to him, well...

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Everett, in about 20 sessions there's going to be a knock-down, drag-out argument about this very subject. When it occurs, I think we'll preemptively put you on Team Ernie and NOT Team Dranko. No one is going to blame you. And if it makes you feel any better, a different session (not for a while) should be entitled "Dranko Learns a Horrible Lesson About Humility," aka "Sagiro is a Very Large Rat Bastard." Stay tuned.

For me, the interesting thing about the "do we turn over Farazil?" session is how strongly Dranko had an opinion about the matter. There was a time when he would have gladly thrown him to the dogs. Now, though? A reprehensible King Nebbizik may have rubbed him the wrong way, but Dranko wouldn't have been able to live with himself if they'd betrayed their sorta-ally. I'd never have guessed when we started this game that loyalty would turn out to be his defining attribute.

Yeah, I thought that was really interesting to read.

In the write-up, I perceived Nebbizik as really strongly evil--stressing his lack of mercy, wanting to execute a noble for an apparently consensual interlude with his daughter (if it weren't, he would not have denied that that mattered), kidnapping all of the bakers ("fleshbags") as hosts, etc. As between helping a really annoying, formerly clearly bad but perhaps reforming sorta ally, or helping an evil spirit king--I'm surprised that so much of the party went with the evil spirit king. (I'm not surprised by some of the neutral-ish characters, like Morningstar, but I was surprised by Ernie's attitude.)

(Not criticism, of course, just expressing surprise.)

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Nah, he wasn't strongly evil from our perspective -- more selfishly, obnoxiously neutral with evil tendencies. And remember, Ernie carries a grudge. When that grudge involves someone possessing his mother, he carries that grudge forever.

Also, you didn't hear the sound of the gates of God's Thorn clanging shut on us.

Everett

First Post
Yeah, I thought that was really interesting to read.

In the write-up, I perceived Nebbizik as really strongly evil--stressing his lack of mercy, wanting to execute a noble for an apparently consensual interlude with his daughter (if it weren't, he would not have denied that that mattered), kidnapping all of the bakers ("fleshbags") as hosts, etc.

Just have to say that I don't find it coincidental that the stuffy king's catch-phrase echoes HK-47s. KOTOR much, Sagiro?

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Just have to say that I don't find it coincidental that the stuffy king's catch-phrase echoes HK-47s. KOTOR much, Sagiro?
Er... no, actually. I'm not familiar with HK-47, so whatever echoes you detect are in fact pure coincidence.

Everett

First Post
Er... no, actually. I'm not familiar with HK-47, so whatever echoes you detect are in fact pure coincidence.

Enthusiastically articulate, highly opinionated assassin droid. Refers to organics as "meatbags". The comic highlight of both Knights Of The Old Republic games.

Greywolf told me that Sagiro had been updating the story hour and was up to this battle..and I had to log in. I just caught up. Oh boy.

Thank you for the recap on Swan, and yes she was all those things. To Morningstar, Swan was more than that. Swan was an ally in the early days when no one in her temple seemed to much like her or trust her. She risked her place with Rhiavonne to stand up for what she felt was right. She was calm and courteous and brave. And these days, she was one of the few people who trusted Morningstar but did not stand in awe of her. Octesian picked his target well.

And Octesian. Morningstar (and her player) had been looking forward to this combat for a long time…and this wasn’t what she had been looking forward to. I see why Sagiro set it up this way, it sets the tone for what is coming. Look here, this was one of your feared enemies and he is nothing to what is coming. It also gives us a different kind of fight than the last big showdown we had with him. But I wished that we made Octesian a priority on the list earlier. The person Morningstar had wanted to defeat was really already gone, this was a mad dog needing to be put down. And to make it worse..DRANKO was infected by the same terrible madness.

And then Farazil came barging into our lives again. Lets just say I was with team Ernie on this one. Those doors shutting in Gods Thorn, our loved ones made vulnerable, every darn time we opened our doors with stupid ploys to try to protect ourselves from Farazil and then having to hope we hadn’t just let him into our one safe haven. Yep. No sympathy for poor Farazil here! Morningstar had detected no sense of 'reformation' from Farazil. Just an extremely powerful and exquisitely self-interested being who could not be trusted with any side but his own.

As Morningstar I went into this battle worried for Dranko, and wishing I hadn’t gone through such trouble to train these dreamwalkers some of whom were certainly about to suffer Swan’s fate. They had a right to stand up and fight, but I feared I might be better off with only my trusty company by my side.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads