Sagiro's Story Hour: The FINAL Adventures of Abernathy's Company (FINISHED 7/3/14)

Richards

Legend
Sagiro, that was a thing of great beauty all the way to the very end. Thanks for finishing it up for the enjoyment of your legion of fans, despite your other commitments. I know it's been over a year since the campaign sessions actually ended; dare I ask if you've started up another campaign? And is Piratecat's "Defenders of Daybreak" campaign still going? (I know he doesn't update his Story Hour any more, but I'd love to hear what Velendo's been up to.)

Put me down for a copy of your novels when they come out. Actually, better make that two of each, since I know my son won't be willing to wait for me to finish them and I certainly won't be willing to wait for him to do likewise!

Johnathan

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm not sure what to write here that others haven't already said a lot better than me.

I've just caught up, in the last couple of days, on about the last twenty or so installments. It was an absolute pleasure to read everything through to the epic finale of the campaign.

For the record, I would have been quite okay with the story as it "ended" in the semi-penultimate update. You had me there, for a few seconds, and a few seconds was all it took for me to move from numb disbelief to a state of zen acceptance that, ultimately, going up against a god-killer is just not the sort of thing mortals are going get away with, especially since their enemies had already been in the Underdark for so long before the heroes arrived.

It was, of course, deeply satisfying to be shown the error of my ways. :)

I loved the hints and implications dropped in the epilogue...just enough for the rest of us to build a little picture of what might have happened to everyone after we parted ways with them.

Like so many other people here, your game has had a deep and fundamental influence on my own DM'ing. Before reading about your game, I had a vague, aspirational fancy of what an epic narrative D&D campaign could look like, and over many years I tried (and failed, frankly) to assemble the right kind of group, and muster the appropriate level of skill to make it so. There's no longer anything vague about my views on what an epic narrative D&D campaign looks like. It's all here, in this thread.

So thanks, and all that. :)

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I know it's been over a year since the campaign sessions actually ended; dare I ask if you've started up another campaign? And is Piratecat's "Defenders of Daybreak" campaign still going? (I know he doesn't update his Story Hour any more, but I'd love to hear what Velendo's been up to.)

More like 3+ years, I think! He hasn't started a new campaign, a fact that we're all really sad about. Sagiro will be the first person to tell you that he over-preps games, so there's a pretty serious time commitment that he doesn't have yet. Instead he's composing music, writing a novel, raising kids, and generally being awesome.

The Defenders campaign wrapped up about 5-6 years ago. I'm running two 4e campaigns, one of which has all the players from the Defenders campaign, and those have perhaps a year or two to go on them. They just hit epic level. Sagiro is playing the most un-Velendo-like unwise thief imaginable. :D

KainG

Explorer
It's been a long while since I last checked in with Abernathy's Company, and I'm both sadden and a bit relieved that's come to an end. Now to read the entire thing!

Thank you Sagiro and your group for the many hours of entertainment you've provided! Your campaign is one of the examples I look to as a great example of a long-running campaign that gets into the high-levels. I'm hoping we'll eventually see a new story hour campaign from your group!

And a big thanks to StevenAC for collecting the campaign in a great pdf format! I'm currently reading it to catch up, and I can't wait to re-read the whole thing again from the beginning!

StevenAC

Explorer
COMPLETE AT LAST!

It's with great pleasure that I can announce that the Collected Sagiro's Story Hour is finally complete. On the site you'll now find the entire story of Abernathy's Company, from their earliest adventures to the final epic battle to save the world. For the statistically inclined, the final PDFs clock in at a total of 1440 pages and more than 1.125 million words (including all the invaluable commentary from dozens of EN World-ers over the years).

I'd like to thank everyone (most especially, of course, Sagiro himself) who has given me words of appreciation over the years. It's lovely to know that what started out as an entirely private exercise, intended only for my own enjoyment, has become something that others around the world have found useful too.

It's possible that there may be some supplementary material added to the site later on (maps, character sheets, monster stats, and so on), but I'm not making any promises on that. It will depend on whether Sagiro can find the time in his busy schedule to engage in campaign archaeology (he does have some novels to write... :D), and on whether such material still exists anyway -- after all, the campaign actually ended nearly three years ago.

For now, though, the story is done. I really hope you enjoy reading (or re-reading) it, and don't forget to leave comments in Sagiro's new thread here .

Steven Cooper.

Belated thanks and congratulations to Sagiro for the completion of the Story Hour, which is truly spectacular in its scope and intricacy. There are many great Story Hours on EN World, and many great authors, but only one sustained a high level of excellence for so many years and reached a satisfying conclusion: Sagiro!

Like others, I have brazely borrowed numerous ideas from Sagiro -- the Het Branoi section (my favorite) is the thematic basis for my just kicked-off campaign.

Also like others, I will happily purchase Sagiro's novels when they are published.

Thanks again for the many years of enjoyment and inspiration.

Yours,
-- Joshua Randall

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
I'm not sure what to write here that others haven't already said a lot better than me.

I've just caught up, in the last couple of days, on about the last twenty or so installments. It was an absolute pleasure to read everything through to the epic finale of the campaign.

For the record, I would have been quite okay with the story as it "ended" in the semi-penultimate update. You had me there, for a few seconds, and a few seconds was all it took for me to move from numb disbelief to a state of zen acceptance that, ultimately, going up against a god-killer is just not the sort of thing mortals are going get away with, especially since their enemies had already been in the Underdark for so long before the heroes arrived.

It was, of course, deeply satisfying to be shown the error of my ways. :)

I loved the hints and implications dropped in the epilogue...just enough for the rest of us to build a little picture of what might have happened to everyone after we parted ways with them.

Like so many other people here, your game has had a deep and fundamental influence on my own DM'ing. Before reading about your game, I had a vague, aspirational fancy of what an epic narrative D&D campaign could look like, and over many years I tried (and failed, frankly) to assemble the right kind of group, and muster the appropriate level of skill to make it so. There's no longer anything vague about my views on what an epic narrative D&D campaign looks like. It's all here, in this thread.

So thanks, and all that. :)

You're very welcome! It's nice to know that at least one person believed the fake ending, if only for a few seconds. :D It was an incredible journey with some of my favorite people, and it was my privilege to amass a readership who enjoyed it along with us. Thanks for being one of them!

Sagiro

Rodent of Uncertain Parentage
Belated thanks and congratulations to Sagiro for the completion of the Story Hour, which is truly spectacular in its scope and intricacy. There are many great Story Hours on EN World, and many great authors, but only one sustained a high level of excellence for so many years and reached a satisfying conclusion: Sagiro!

Like others, I have brazely borrowed numerous ideas from Sagiro -- the Het Branoi section (my favorite) is the thematic basis for my just kicked-off campaign.

There's nothing brazen about borrowing ideas placed in a public place! :) And goodness knows I borrowed from all sorts of sources over the years.

Also like others, I will happily purchase Sagiro's novels when they are published.

I'm working on it!

Thanks again for the many years of enjoyment and inspiration.

You're very welcome.

-Sagiro

Kestrel

Explorer
I've been reading this for years, since I first came here. Thank you Sagiro and Abernathy's Company. I have taken more inspiration from this for my own game than any other source. Whenever I get stuck for ideas or feeling a little burned out, I read a few posts and I'm jazzed to run again. Its a shining example of what a game can be.

Thank you so much for the story.

Brian

(And I will definitely be buying the novels)

Remove ads