Sail South From Sasserine

Dantardis

First Post
After leaving Tamoachan the Sea Wyvern sailed onwards. After a couple of hours they saw an albatross which flew over them and then circled away. The follwoing day brought an even stranger sight, a pair of eagles were chasing what appeared to be an albatross. In addition, in the distance the cre could see a large ship which appeared to be sailing in their general direction. Changing into his eagle from Seki flew towards the eagle and tried to communicate with it. The eagle revealed that she was a druid who was trying to escape from a band of pirates and asked for permission to land on the Sea Wyvern. Seki flew back to relay this message and the crew's response, which was that the druid could land on the deck.

Dantardis

First Post
On his way back to the Sea Wyvern for the second time he heard a chanting sound behind him. At the same moment a bolt of lightning came down from the cloudless sky and hit Sangaya. Sangaya at this point manifested a soulblade, readying to throw it when the eagle came closer. Morning pulled out her bw and tried to fire an arrow at the eagle but missed, the arrow falling into the ocean. Grey shot twice and hit the druid twice. Aust cast a spell on himself, making himself less susceptible to attack. The druid chanted again and a blast of flame struck the Sea Wyvern, mainly hitting Sangaya. Sangaya, now the eagle was closer, tried to fire her soulblade at it but missed. Nimo, towards the stern of the ship readied to cast a spell. Grey fired another volley of arrows at the druid but missed. Aust continued to ready in cast the druid tried to cast another spell. Seki's bat moved forward to try and attack the druid but its attacks missed. Seki, meanwhile summoned two more large bats to the fore. Sangaya gave orders for the Sea Wyvern to move at double speed and charged her mindblade. Seki tried to communicate with the other eagle and the albatross but had little success. Morning shot a further volley of arrows and hit the druid as did Grey. At this time the druid hit the water and appeared to disapper but the albatross and the other eagle kept coming forward.
Seki started to cast a full round spell and at the same time Seki's bat killed the albatross. Morning dived into the ocean and cast detect magic, whilst Grey hit the eagle. A furthe lightning bolt came down at this point and hit Seki. Grey hit the eagle and it plummeted into the sea, quite dead. The druid summoned another Call Lightning, hitting Nimo. Seki summoned two porpoises underneath the ship and followed this by diving into the water. Morning recast detetct magic and at the same time Nimo dived into the sea whilst Seki swam beneath the ship. The druid, realising that she was in trouble changed her form to that of an icthyosaur and moved forward to attack.
Nimo cast glitterdust on the druid but this had no effect. Aust cast a spell on the druid causing it to feel weaker. Grey delved into his psionic powers and a blast of concussion hit the druid. Morning hit the icthyosaur and in retaliation it hit Morning. The porpoises and Seki moved in and hit the icthyosaur and Nimo cast a bolt of thunder on it. Seki hit the druid and Morning finished the druid off with a final blow.

EpicFailure

Explorer
Aww one more post till sekis tragic death, damned 3 and 1 rolls on that save! Still Dorian is far more fun anway. Glad to see an update Dan

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Interesting read - I'm currently running a Sasserine-based game myself ("War of the Weilded" from Dungeon #149) - nice to see the one from #139 being played out. I thought of doing that one too but the plot hook to get the party interested would have been too heavy handed.

Dantardis

First Post
Once the battle with the druid was over the party started to caat healing spells on themselves and readied for the more deadly battle to come. Morning and Grey moved over to the ballista at the bow of the Sea Wyvern, preparing it to fire when the other ship came into rangs. Even at this distance the other vessel was clearly flying the flag of the Scarlet Brotherhood, a splinter group of the Lotus Dragons. As the ships came within long range of each other Nimo cast a spell and a ball of sonic energy hit the other vessel's rigging, although it still came onwards. The other vessel, now identified as the White Shark fired its ballista at the Sea Wyvern but failed to do any damage. At this point a caster on the White Shark created a storm of ice and snow immediately in front of the Sea Wyvern. The Sea Wyvern, unable to change course quickly enough sailed through the icy patch, causing several of the crew to take damage from the extreme cold. Seki, taking a lift from his dire bat moved forward, flying towards the White Shark. At the same time Morning fired the ballista at the White Shark, doing some collateral damage to the other vessel's hull. The caster on the White Shark, who had been identified by Nimo as a warmage cast a storm of sleet on the deck of the Sea Wyvern, making the whole deck extremely slippery and preventing easy movement.
A group of fighters on the White Shark had spotted Seki flying towards them and opened fire with light crossbows, failing to hit either Seki or his dire bat. The captain of the White Shark also fired at Seki, but likewise was unable to hit. By this time the two vessels had started to move closer to each other. Grey, standing on the prow of the Sea Wyvern, fired a shot at the wamage and hit, drawing blood. In retaliation, the warmage cast a spell and a bolt of fire hit the crow's nest and rigging of the Sea Wyvern. Unfortunately Nimo had been standing in the crow's nest at this time and his charred and lifeless body fell to the deck. Meanwhile the dragon shamans fired another volley at Seki and once again failed to hit. Seki, by this time had moved closer to the deck of the White Shark, hitting the warmage. In retaliation the warmage mumbled to himself and a creature from Seki's worst nightmares appeared to come into existence, attacking him. Seki was unable to resist the effects of the spell and dropped into the swirling ocean. literally frightened to death. But by this time the tide of the battle was starting to change. The warriors on the White Shark once again failed to hit Seki's bat and so did the ship's captain. Sanagaya threw a mindblade at the warmage and he lost the spell he had been preparing to cast. With a resounding crash both ships hit eah other, the Sea Wyvern ramming the White Shark.
Scarlette, the cpatain of the White Shark, moved forward to hit grey but failed, whilst Sangaya hit a rogue who was trying to sneak aboard. Morning failed to hit Scarlette as shemoved past and the rogue Sar Pios hit Morning in return. Scarlette too hit Morning as the melee fighting intensified. Working together Morning and Grey moved in to attack Scarlette and Sar Pios. Aust's minion also joined the fray, trying to hit Scarlette but failing. Morning, with a mighty roar criticalled Sar Pios and he fell to the floor, pumping blood. Grey likewise hit Scarlette twice and she too fell to the deck, dead. Soon the battl was over the remaining warriors either dying or surrendering before the advancing party.
After resurrecting their fallen comrades who decided they would like to retire from adventuring for the time being, Aust used the Lyre of Building to restore the damage to the two vessels. Placing Nimo in charge of the Sea Wyvern with a token crew, Snagaya and the rest of the party decamped to the new vessl which they christened the By Default. And so the fleet of vessels commenced their journey southwards.

Dantardis

First Post
OOC: I must admit that last fight was a difficult one to describe, there was a lot going on and a lot of characters for me to keep track of. So two party deaths in one adventure, which effectively was a random encounter. But the players just rolled up some new characters and moved on.

EpicFailure

Explorer
Heya dan I thought I might as well ask here as I suspect im the only person from the group who regularly checks this forum. Anyway, im interested in using the disciple of dispater class from BOVD to bring in a new character who basically has been sent by Dispater to investigate the shadow pearls and help the group out.
I just wanted to ask, is it a. ok for me to retire dorian for a few levels just for fun?
and b. can If so, can I use the goliath race from races of stone. They are basically half giants from the psiionics books but the loose all psionic ability and gain strength instead.

Remove ads