• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

Ok, without further ado, the party heads down the gangplank.

Ill assume a formation of (Rogue up the front, then Pal/Cleric, then Fighter then Sorcerer then Bard). Let me know if anyone wants to be anywhere different.

Where are you headed towards?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I'd say we head toward the color pool in as direct a manner as possible, having the rogue be just in front and scouting for ambushes/traps etc?

thoughts?

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I'd say we head toward the color pool in as direct a manner as possible, having the rogue be just in front and scouting for ambushes/traps etc?

thoughts?
I favor this plan. Naturally as a backliner, I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything off. I'll actually drop concentration on Protection from Good and Evil and I want to have Detect Magic on me (recasting constantly) until we either get within 100ft of the tentacle creatures or we somehow make a form of contact (eye contact, speech, combat, etc.) Where I will then recast Protection from Good and Evil

Essentially, I'm scanning the area for any magic until we're close enough that Protection from Good and Evil might be useful.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Roll to scan for traps/hostiles/other danger is a 7 on the die. Thanks to Reliable Talent, that becomes a 10, so it 21 if you prefer Perception for that, or a 22 if you prefer Investigation (I'm trained in both).

Ok, you advance past the Illithid ship and towards the color pool.

As you approach the color pool allowing access to Carceri (which oscillates wildly), you spot what appears to be the scenes of a battle. A strange corpse lays near the pool, a humanoid with a head resembling an octopus. Near this corpse is another; this one resembling a large brain with four legs. Both seem badly burnt and bear deep cuts.

Several empty potion bottles lie scattered around the battle site.

Rogue, your Perception check reveals tracks on the rocks from several booted humanoids, in addition to those of the dead illithid and intellect devourer.

Can you make me a Survival check for more information on the tracks please?

Does anyone else want to do anything?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Ok, you advance past the Illithid ship and towards the color pool.

As you approach the color pool allowing access to Carceri (which oscillates wildly), you spot what appears to be the scenes of a battle. A strange corpse lays near the pool, a humanoid with a head resembling an octopus. Near this corpse is another; this one resembling a large brain with four legs. Both seem badly burnt and bear deep cuts.

Several empty potion bottles lie scattered around the battle site.

Rogue, your Perception check reveals tracks on the rocks from several booted humanoids, in addition to those of the dead illithid and intellect devourer.

Can you make me a Survival check for more information on the tracks please?

Does anyone else want to do anything?
Once I can see them, or my attention is drawn to them, I'll examine the potion bottles to see if I can figure out what they were.

Remove ads