D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Can I zig zag a wall of fire in front of T6, T5 and T4 (length is not a problem 60'), putting all of the trolls on thy "hot side?" Making sure we're all on the "not hot side," seems optimal.

Assuming that's OK. I'll cast wall of fire (by using the lyre) :

DC 18 DEX save. 18 damage half if save made.

Can I zig zag a wall of fire in front of T6, T5 and T4 (length is not a problem 60'), putting all of the trolls on thy "hot side?" Making sure we're all on the "not hot side," seems optimal.

Assuming that's OK. I'll cast wall of fire (by using the lyre) :

DC 18 DEX save. 18 damage half if save made.

My reading of the spell is its either a straight line or a ring of fire.

Zig zags and triangles and similar arent allowed?

Any source for allowing a zig zag pattern?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I was hopeful and found some backup on DnD beyond. But then further googling, I think not (Jeremy crawford says ring or one straight wall).

So ringed wall or straight line.

Don't think I can get a ring big enough to get all the trolls inside or out (without hitting the Cleric). I do know that T6 needs minimal fire to die so I'll just do a line right to the north of the fighter with the trolls on the hot side.
So 18 damage (DC 18 DEX for half) to T6 and T5.

That work?

I was hopeful and found some backup on DnD beyond. But then further googling, I think not (Jeremy crawford says ring or one straight wall).

So ringed wall or straight line.

Don't think I can get a ring big enough to get all the trolls inside or out (without hitting the Cleric). I do know that T6 needs minimal fire to die so I'll just do a line right to the north of the fighter with the trolls on the hot side.
So 18 damage (DC 18 DEX for half) to T6 and T5.

That work?
Can you show me on the map?

(copy paste and then edit it with a straight line where you want it)

I've had a long day at work and my brain is melting.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Can you show me on the map?

(copy paste and then edit it with a straight line where you want it)

I've had a long day at work and my brain is melting.

Ok A (relatively small) wall right to the north of the fighter the "arrows" are not part of the wall they just show which way the "hot" end is pointed. So intent is to get T6 and T5 but not the fighter (the rogue is too far north to be affected).

I considered putting is south of the fighter and getting all the trolls because it's only 18 damage but figured that was too metagamey as it COULD have been up to 40.

Pretty clear?

Troll map - flamestrikes adv - with fire wall.jpg

Ok A (relatively small) wall right to the north of the fighter the "arrows" are not part of the wall they just show which way the "hot" end is pointed. So intent is to get T6 and T5 but not the fighter (the rogue is too far north to be affected).

I considered putting is south of the fighter and getting all the trolls because it's only 18 damage but figured that was too metagamey as it COULD have been up to 40.

Pretty clear?

View attachment 141405

Yep - a line through T5 and 6 facing north.

Both passed the save (thank you magic resistance!).

Can you roll the damage? 5d8 fire.

Then if you want to move or bonus action anything, and I can do the Trolls turn.

Troll 4 (no longer incapacitated as you dropped concentration on Hypnotic Pattern for Wall of Fire) regenerates, and will advance to the Bard and attack 3 times:

11 - Miss
20 - 14 slashing damage (and a Con save +5 for the Paladin)
16 - Miss.

Troll 5 will fly over the wall of Fire, land adjacent to the Bard who just burnt him, and also attack 3 times:

20 - 6 piercing damage (and a Con save)
12 - Miss
26 - 8 slashing damage (and a Con save)

Trolls 1, 2, 3 and 6 are all toast.

Let me know how you fare with the Con saves (although it's probably not going to matter) @Mort

Otherwise it's the Fighter.

@Zubatcarteira

Last edited:

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Troll 4 (no longer incapacitated as you dropped concentration on Hypnotic Pattern for Wall of Fire) regenerates, and will advance to the Bard and attack 3 times:

11 - Miss
20 - 14 slashing damage (and a Con save +5 for the Paladin)
16 - Miss.

Troll 5 will fly over the wall of Fire, land adjacent to the Bard who just burnt him, and also attack 3 times:

20 - 6 piercing damage (and a Con save)
12 - Miss
26 - 8 slashing damage (and a Con save)

Trolls 1, 2, 3 and 6 are all toast.

Let me know how you fare with the Con saves (although it's probably not going to matter) @Mort

Otherwise it's the Fighter.

I'm just going to let the wall drop so the rogue has an easier shot (with easy -sneak attack since I'm right next to the trolls).

Remove ads