D&D 5E Sample adventure to test 5E in high level (15th) play. Any takers?

Hey guys!

Recently @Stalker0 and I ran a little PBP 5E adventure at 7th level to test out the theory that 'Casters are ZOMG broken and dominate all three pillars of the game in ways that martials can not' and settle the debate that Casters are wildly out of whack with Martials.

The test proved pretty resoundingly that at 7th level, this certainly is not the case.

I'm proposing a new little experiment. Lets see if that also holds true at 15th level, so we can put this debate firmly to bed.

For my last adventure, I basically controlled the other 4 PCs (@Stalker0 controlled the Wizard), but this time I'm leaving it open for a total of 5 players/ posters to join in. Each interested party will control a single 15th level PC, and we can conduct the adventure on here, in a kind of PBP scenario, similar to the last thread.

Looking for expressions of interest for 5 players to test it out.

Main relevant variant rules are: Point Buy, Feats, Encumbrance and every option in Tashas. Every official book is on the table. Campaign world is Faerun (SCAG etc is also fine). No UA.

In addition, we will be using the Shorter rest variant for Short rests from the DMG, but with a 'hard cap' of being only able to benefit from 2 until you have also benefitted from a long rest, when that limit resets to zero. This is more for my own sanity - I find 1 hour breaks in the narrative immersion breaking.

PCs will be 15th level, Faerun themed (no need for an intensive backstory more than a line or two to help me with PC hooks etc), Point buy, with access to all Feats and Tashas options. Primarily a good aligned/ heroic party is preferable.

In addition, as mighty heroes of the realm, all PCs will have: Either 1 Legendary or 2 Rare or Very rare magic items, and 2 Common or Uncommon magic items. Consumable items (scrolls/ potions) can be exchanged on a 1 for 2 basis.

PCs and Magic items will be vetted by myself as DM, to ensure a good mix of 5 different PC of varying skills and abilities (Martials and Casters). If I see the same old magic items, I reserve the right to exchange it for something else, at my sole discretion (magic items are the DMs prerogative after all).

Who's interested?

J-H

Hero
I'm interested, although the magic item quantity seems a bit on the low side compared to what I understand the DMG averages to be based on this discussion.

Should I assume primarily combat, or will there be social/exploration components? Indoor/outdoor (relevant for shadow monk & drow)?

How do you want to handle character creation? ie, is there a DND beyond link (I don't own any content there), or do I need to make a PDF character sheet and upload it somewhere?

I will probably go Fighter (Cavalier) or Monk.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Kind of surprised at the lack of interest!

Though I've never done a PbP style adventure.

If it wouldn't detract too much from the mage, I'd be interested in going with a Bard (college of eloquence since Tasha's is allowed). I suspect the Bard wouldn't be overtly dominant or showy (well not mechanically) but a 15th level bard brings a lot of support to the group.

I'm interested, although the magic item quantity seems a bit on the low side compared to what I understand the DMG averages to be based on this discussion.
Not really; that's an aggregate list. It can be assumed magic items have been sold or upgraded or used or lost since the campaign started.

Few people are still lugging around the +1 shortsword they found at 2nd level by the time they're 15th for example.
Should I assume primarily combat, or will there be social/exploration components? Indoor/outdoor (relevant for shadow monk & drow)?
Primarily combat, but with social and exploration components. Pretty standard baseline DnD, with combat being the main pillar.
How do you want to handle character creation? ie, is there a DND beyond link (I don't own any content there), or do I need to make a PDF character sheet and upload it somewhere?
Just send it to me via PM.

I want to vet magic items before the game starts (as DM I wouldnt allow any items that I feel would unbalance the game, so I want to vet them first, providing you with alternate options if they seem inappropriate).

Otherwise, point buy, feats and Tashas, Multiclassing and anything official is OK (Faerun).
I will probably go Fighter (Cavalier) or Monk.

Both work fine.

Cavalier being primarily a defender, and Monk a striker.

If it wouldn't detract too much from the mage, I'd be interested in going with a Bard (college of eloquence since Tasha's is allowed). I suspect the Bard wouldn't be overtly dominant or showy (well not mechanically) but a 15th level bard brings a lot of support to the group.
The most broken Bard archetype :)

I'm intrigued to see how they play. They just seem to be Bards on steroids!

But cool, point buy, MCing, Feats etc are all fine - assume AL rules unless I say otherwise such as for Shorter short rests - rules for creation are above. PM me the PC and I can vet the items etc.

Stalker0

Legend
My only thought....I would greatly caution you away from that short rest variant you are trying. The success of our experiment was how stock standard it was....no houserules, nothing fancy....just a simple wizard in a standard adventure.

Messing with the rest rules is just going to put an asterix next to your results.

You can't in one breath say "1 hour rest is really immersion breaking" and in the next go "DMs should really be using doom clocks and 6 encounter adventures in the vast majority of their runs". So I would greatly encourage you to just keep it stock standard once again, and see what happens.

Obviously I already did my run at 7th, but if you have trouble with volunteers I would go in again, that was fun last time. I do encourage your volunteers to go with standard characters....the goal is not to "prove" one side or the other with some weird exotic build....just play standard and normal and see what happens. hehe if I do play maybe I'll bring Vizardo back into action!

You can't in one breath say "1 hour rest is really immersion breaking" and in the next go "DMs should really be using doom clocks and 6 encounter adventures in the vast majority of their runs".
Of course you can!

One of the core roles of the DM is there to manage the game, including policing the AD. Whether that's via Doom Clocks, an 'out of game' chat to your players in Session zero, using one of the rest variants in the Core rules (or a variant thereof) or whatever, it doesnt matter.

'Behind the screen' it's not even relevant. Assuming there is a Doom clock attached here, I can structure that doom clock to allow for only a handful of short rests anyway.

But fine; lets do it core rules for short rests. I just prefer the way I stated for narrative and immersion purposes only (I find sitting down for 1 hour breaks for lunch a few times a day in the middle of a dungeon to be immersion breaking and jarring). I've always preferred a 'take a knee, quick map check, bind wounds, catch a breath, nibble on some rations and off you go' type short rest, simply for narrative and immersion reasons (not for any 'balance reasons').

If I do play maybe I'll bring Vizardo back into action!
You're more than welcome to do so.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
For the record, I run with the short short rest variant. Players seem to prefer it, but that could be just what they're used too.

For the record, I run with the short short rest variant. Players seem to prefer it, but that could be just what they're used too.

Yeah, I only do it normally for narrative and immersion reasons (its jarring to just pitch up for an hour midway through a dungeon) rather than anything else.

Remove ads