• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Samurai Archer

mellored

Legend
Battle master is nice, but as an archer build, Samurai seems significantly better, especially after level 8 when you would easily have a 20 Dex with point buy or standard, and sharpshooter. The elven accuracy attacks and sharpshooter should allow you to consistently out damage a battlemaster 3 rounds a day easily.
Battlemasters Precision strike adds +4.5 to hit (+6.5 at level 15), on any attack you want.
Samurai's advantage adds +4.5 to hit (+7 with elven archery), and takes a bonus action that you need to decide on beforehand. (Plus some nice THP).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Samauri is more defensive and well rounded. BattleMaster is more offensive IMO.

A lot depends on your expected number of encounters and short rests when comparing these subclasses.

I would play a samauri over a battleMaster for these reasons:
1. I want more than just offensive power.
2. The offensive power gained through the samurai subclass is solid. It's not the best offense ever (that's the battlemaster), but it definitely enables a few really good alpha strikes in a day. Personally I'm a big fan of alpha strikes.
3. Samauri builds in 15 temp hp per day at level 3 (the temp hp scales too) and Wisdom saving throws at level 7. This really improves his survivability and defenses (especially against control spells).
4. While it's not a lot the samurai does get a boost to persuasion checks. This at least gives him a decent social skill even if doesn't prioritize charisma. Very helpful as Wisdom makes a lot more sense on a samurai. Makes the samurai at least useful in social situations.
5. If you expect few short rests or fewer fights in the day then that favors the samurai a lot.

Honestly, I'm liking him more after this analysis than I did before.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Samauri is more defensive and well rounded. BattleMaster is more offensive IMO.
That that applies a lot more to melee builds than ranged ones.
Archers tend not to use THP until their melee guys are already unconscious, and you can't give it away.

A melee samarurai can certainly make use of the THP at level 3. I'd put it on par with battlemaster for that, beating it at 10+.
Unless you have other sources of advantage (friendly sorcerer with twin greater invisibility).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
That that applies a lot more to melee builds than ranged ones.
Archers tend not to use THP until their melee guys are already unconscious, and you can't give it away.

A melee samarurai can certainly make use of the THP at level 3. I'd put it on par with battlemaster for that, beating it at 10+.
Unless you have other sources of advantage (friendly sorcerer with twin greater invisibility).

Just to be a little over the top...

I didn't realize being an archer made you immune to damage until all melee weapon allies were downed. I'll certainly have to check into that...

Remove ads