• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Samurai Champloo--any good?

Felon

First Post
So this show "Samurai Champloo" is coming to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim this weekend. Is any good? What's a Champloo?

twistnack

Explorer
I have no idea what Champloo is, but I rather liked Samurai Champloo. I just happened to see the first DVD a day or two before they started showing ads for it on Cartoon Network.

Arnwyn

First Post
Google is your friend. Supposedly, "champloo" (champuru) is an Okinawan word meaning "mixed up" or "stirred together". It's supposed to refer to the mixing of styles - ancient Japanese samurai action combined with hip-hop music. It turns out to be a very interesting combination.

FWIW, I like the series (so far).

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Let me state, with great emphasis, the following:

YOU MUST WATCH SAMURAI CHAMPLOO!!!

Okay now that I've said this let me explain SC.

SC is to the samurai/historical pieces of anime what Cowboy Bebop is to Sci-fi anime.

It's smart, it's irreverrant, it's a great watch, it's not TOO deep but has depth, and basically if you love sword fighting, ala Kill Bill 1, you will get that in spades.

Believe me, I was hooked by the first ep and haven't looked back since. (I have the limited box set, two of the DVDs [since the other 5 aren't yet released], and I've seen the fan subs.)

If you thought FMA and GitS: SAC were "cool" you've not seen ANYTHING yet.

Last edited:

Nightfall

:eek: :uhoh:

Okay...well then did you like Trigun?

*admits no Bosch in SC but pretty darn nice VAs.*

In any case I do believe when they reviewed SC, they were correct. This IS the true spiritual heir to Cowboy Bebop.

Some of the same plots (like the one with Ed getting all shroomed up), some very touching scenes (like Faye finding out about her past), and certain the action is ratched up.

CrusaderX

First Post
I liked Trigun. It wasn't my absolute favorite, but I liked it.

Bebop and Ninja Scroll are probably my all-time favorites. Inuyasha is really good, too, IMO. :)

Nightfall

Okay.

*likes Inuyasha too...but since he's been so manga based with Inuyasha...hard to feel much love since it's NOT ended!! :p*

Anyway, SC isn't Ninja Scroll. Best bet if you want a Ninja Scroll like anime, Basilisk.

But I do think comparing the two, CB and SC, isn't a bad comparison. Just not always an accurate one. The former, CB, deals more with interpersonal stuff along with space cowboy adventures. SC deals primarily with journies, finding interesting stuff to do while traveling, mixing urban/hip hop culture with old school Edo thinking. Plus there's some great historical referencing mixed with 20th century stuff too.

Overall, you watch SC, YOU WILL ENJOY IT! :)

Nightfall

Kruggie,

You'd better...or you'll find out just how unpleasant Ninja baseball can be. Along with raw wasabi on your wound! :p :) ;)

Remove ads