??? Samwise Gamgee = slave????

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwing

First Post
NO OFFENSE, NO RACISM INTENDED!!!

Ok its been a while since i've read the books but didn't it mention something about sam's skin being a little darker than most hobbits and wasn't it mentioned that he was Frodo's slave not friend? SO basically Sam was the equivalant of an african slave of the colonial period? Is this right?

Randolpho

First Post
I don't remember sam being described as dark, other than ordinary hobbit-darkness (i.e. weathered).

I'm afraid I don't see it.

graydoom

First Post
Um, no.

Sam was Frodo's friend and devoted companion.

Other than that, I think I'll follow EricNoah's lead.

Henry@home

First Post
No, Sam was rather his family gardener (followed in his dad's footsteps, he did), and technically a servant, though not an indetured one nor a slave. His skin was a ruddy complexion, but not dark, per se - rather the look of someone who toiled in the field during the day as their profession. He was, however, a close friend to Frodo, though Frodo led a more sedentary lifestyle. The movie played up their friendship rather more, but they were still friends, though in the books not technically social equals.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hmm...I can definitely see how people think Sam is Frodo's lover (or at the very least has a humongous crush on Frodo). But I ain't getting the slave angle.

Daniel

Randolpho

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Hmm...I can definitely see how people think Sam is Frodo's lover (or at the very least has a humongous crush on Frodo).

Hijack alert:

Sam... Frodo's lover? Bwahahahahaha.

Wipes away a tear.

Thanks, I needed that. I can't believe anyone could possibly think that, despite the "Gay Fellowship" that floated around a few months ago.

mmadsen

First Post
Sam is pretty clearly Frodo's loyal and loving servant (in idealistic English class-conscious fashion). Nothing about him says "African slave".

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Pielorinho said:
Sam is Frodo's lover

(Note to the audience: I'm not experienced at this whole trolling thing, so cut me some slack if I mess it up. I know, for example, that a troll never returns to the scene of a --

D'oh!)

RiggsWolfe

First Post
Ok, first off. Let's get one thing straight.

Black people weren't the only people enslaved. Not even the most recent.

Now that that's off my chest. Here's another. Stop going to P.C. schools, go to a school where you learn something.

Ok, now, finally.

Sam was Frodo's servant. In the idealized English tradition. His family had served Frodo's family for probably generations. The best contemporary comparison would be Alfred in the Batman comics/tv shows/movies/etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads