D&D 5E Savage Attack and Critical Hits !!!

maritimo80

First Post
No, you are not adding all the dice together. If you have TWO dice pools of damage to pick from, you choose one or the other, whichever is highest.

Ok, fine. But the savage attacker PHB says:

Once per turn When You roll damage for a melee weapon
attack, you can "reroll the weapon's damage dice and use
Either total. "

Ie reroll and use the total !

T

TDarien

Either total. "

It's reroll and use either total. You pick one roll or the other.

Lackhand

First Post

Either total. "

The word "either" means "one of"; the "totals" are of each one of the two dice rolls, but it's not jus doubling your damage. If it were, it would say "you can roll damage twice and use the total sum" (or something!)

They're said very similarly, but the meanings are different.

Good gaming!

Nebulous

Legend

Either total. "

You are ignoring the word EITHER in there my friend. It is one or the other. Do it however you want, but the rule is pretty clear about how it works.

Uller

Adventurer

Either total. "

It is poorly worded for a non-english speaker. The word "either" infers the word "or".

A better way to say it would be "Roll the damage dice twice and use either the first total or the second total."

EDIT: looking at a Portuguese/English reference, it looks like the word "whichever" would work better for you...so:

"reroll the weapon's damage dice and use whichever total is greater."

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
It is poorly worded for a non-english speaker. The word "either" infers the word "or".

A better way to say it would be "Roll the damage dice twice and use either the first total or the second total."

EDIT: looking at a Portuguese/English reference, it looks like the word "whichever" would work better for you...so:

"reroll the weapon's damage dice and use whichever total is greater."

That's a good clarification.

Sorry for my English because I'm from Brazil.
From what I understand about Savaga Attack, you roll the dice of damage 2 times and takes the total. Is not it?

Você rolar os dados duas vezes. Então você escolhe o primeiro ou o segundo resultado.

Por exemplo, você rola 2d8 + 4 e obter (3, 8), que causaria 15 de dano. Então você rola 2d8 + 4 e obter (1, 5), que causaria 10 de dano. Você escolhe o primeiro resultado , que faz 15 de dano.

Por favor, desculpe meu mau Português. Eu estou usando Google Translate para as palavras que eu não conheço.

Last edited:

maritimo80

First Post
Você rolar os dados duas vezes. Então você escolhe o primeiro ou o segundo resultado.

Por exemplo, você rola 2d8 + 4 e obter (3, 8), que causaria 15 de dano. Então você rola 2d8 + 4 e obter (1, 5), que causaria 10 de dano. Você escolhe o primeiro resultado , que faz 15 de dano.

Por favor, desculpe meu mau Português. Eu estou usando Google Translate para as palavras que eu não conheço.

Thanks.

Phoenix8008

First Post
I know OP already got his answer, but to use one mechanic to explain another, it's like getting Advantage on the damage roll(s). Roll what you normally would -TWICE- and take the better of the two.

Last edited:

Remove ads