D&D 5E Savage Attack and Critical Hits !!!

Nebulous

Legend
I know OP already got his answer, but to use one mechanic to explain another, it's like getting Advantage on the damage roll(s). Roll what you normally would -TWICE- and take the better of the two.

That's exactly what it is, Damage advantage instead of To Hit advantage.

Me, personally, I'm a fan of the houserule where if you roll a 1 or 2, it's automatically converted to a 3 (for example) so no re-rolling is required. I like to use that ability as a magic weapon perk.

Joe Liker

First Post
That's exactly what it is, Damage advantage instead of To Hit advantage.

Me, personally, I'm a fan of the houserule where if you roll a 1 or 2, it's automatically converted to a 3 (for example) so no re-rolling is required. I like to use that ability as a magic weapon perk.
That is a great perk ... but it's far more powerful than the feat as written. This is especially true for smaller damage dice such as 2d6 weapons.

Joe Liker

First Post
Something like that in 5e could be used in lieu of a +1 bonus actually.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but none of the things we've discussed is equivalent to a +1 bonus.

Because you must keep the second result, the feat as written is worse than +1, whereas your house rule is significantly better -- as much as 200 percent better, in fact.

Nebulous

Legend
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but none of the things we've discussed is equivalent to a +1 bonus.

Because you must keep the second result, the feat as written is worse than +1, whereas your house rule is significantly better -- as much as 200 percent better, in fact.

I should have stated it differently: the only magic power that particular weapon would have is bumping up damage from 1-2 = 3. Or even 1-3=4. That I feel is plenty helpful for a magic item and would be coveted by a player. Then add some history and background and maybe a minor perk like it glows when orcs are near.

Remove ads