D&D 5E Savage Tide Adventure Path

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
When Paizo was on fire the first third or half of the APs were great then they kinda fell apart later.

I'm going off topic, but yeah, the starter adventures to Age of Worms, Savage Tide, Kingmaker, and so on, all Paizo/Dungeon author works, are legendary. When they assign 6 different writers to 6 different modules, things get discordant.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm going off topic, but yeah, the starter adventures to Age of Worms, Savage Tide, Kingmaker, and so on, all Paizo/Dungeon author works, are legendary. When they assign 6 different writers to 6 different modules, things get discordant.

Yeah. I think the AP idea is good but going to level 10-14 us probably better than trying to get to 20.

AOs where you live around a lot I find harder to run. Since you always have a new cast and location it's harder for the PCs to care about the local area.

Paizo put a lot if effort into Sasserine in Dragon but after part 2 in Dungeon it doesn't matter.

Hence why I think I would refocus more on Sasserine and the Isle of Dread. I've run 4 parts of the earlier AP and used the defense of Farshore as inspiration in another adventure.

I think I would skip the voyage part to the isle as well but the players enjoyed that part as a stand alone.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I think I would skip the voyage part to the isle as well but the players enjoyed that part as a stand alone.

In my conversion and first run, the voyage took the greatest amount of effort. It can be supremely interesting, but not as written. I have daily drama going on and the goal is to invest the players in the survival of the crew (some of which, in my campaign, they handpicked). Otherwise, when we get to the Isle, they could simply say "buh bye" and run along. I've seen romances, attempts to boost morale of the crew, investigations (to find who is sabotaging the rigging), shenanigans with Urol, and of course Avner.

Zardnaar

Legend
In my conversion and first run, the voyage took the greatest amount of effort. It can be supremely interesting, but not as written. I have daily drama going on and the goal is to invest the players in the survival of the crew (some of which, in my campaign, they handpicked). Otherwise, when we get to the Isle, they could simply say "buh bye" and run along.

Yeah I ran almost an entire session of them interacting with the crew.

They were almost ready to kill the useless noble once they got to the island.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Yeah I ran almost an entire session of them interacting with the crew.

They were almost ready to kill the useless noble once they got to the island.

Hehe, Avner. In my first run, the players hated him as well, but he survived the wreck, pulled his weight when absolutely pressured, and became a "voice of the people" to criticize the party when things went wrong on the trek. He did just enough right to avoid being totally useless. In my current campaign, he's been practicing with a crossbow on the trip and is a natural talent. He's already shot down an albatross (bad luck) and a PC wizard's familiar (they were in Tamoachan and sent the familiar to let the captain know they were delayed, don't leave without us...Avner thought it was creepy how the pelican kept circling the ships and trying to get to it, so he shot it.) However, if he survives the wreck, his skill with the crossbow might be handy, if everyone can stand his mouth.

Zardnaar

Legend
Hehe, Avner. In my first run, the players hated him as well, but he survived the wreck, pulled his weight when absolutely pressured, and became a "voice of the people" to criticize the party when things went wrong on the trek. He did just enough right to avoid being totally useless. In my current campaign, he's been practicing with a crossbow on the trip and is a natural talent. He's already shot down an albatross (bad luck) and a PC wizard's familiar (they were in Tamoachan and sent the familiar to let the captain know they were delayed, don't leave without us...Avner thought it was creepy how the pelican kept circling the ships and trying to get to it, so he shot it.) However, if he survives the wreck, his skill with the crossbow might be handy, if everyone can stand his mouth.

Yeah that's him.

solomanii

Explorer
Well, my PCs voted for a "Clash of the Titans" Greeco/Roman style campaign over Savage Tide so will re-propose this one after the next campaign now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases