[Savage Worlds] ¡Los Californios! (OOC)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Do the people there speak English and Spanish, or do many/most only speak Spanish?

Most people speak only Spanish or Indio (in southern California). English however, tends to be known by those in power, those with aspirations of power, and traders. However, it should be noted that the further north you go the more likely people are to have at least d4 or d6 in english (since Monterey and San Francisco are the main ports of entry in California and traditionally is where the Government is situated.).

Would communicative skills (Persuasion, Streetwise) be problematic with "just" a d4 in Knowledge (Spanish)?

No.

Thanee

First Post
Ok. :)

Then I should be pretty much done (except for maybe adding another $250; I used the Deadlands character creation guidelines).

Bye
Thanee

Walking Dad

First Post
♣ Professor Hagen von Hacht
Professor Hagen von Hacht was born to a noble family in Germany. Not taking much interest in war and politics, he embraced the field o science. After some 'unfortunate events, totally not his fault,' he ended with a limb but a nearly functioning prototype of the first HLG (Hacht Lightning Gun). Hearing of the great breakthroughs in the New World, he finally moved to California.
ATTRIBUTES: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
SKILLS: Knowledge (Science) d8, Knowledge (Chemistry) d6, Knowledge (Spanish) d4, Knowledge (English) d4, Fighting d4, Notice d6, Repair d8, Shooting d4, Weird Science d10
Charisma: +2; Grit: 1; Pace 6”; Parry 3; Toughness 6
HINDERANCES: Bad Eyes (Minor), Delusional (Minor), Lame (Major)
EDGES: Noble, Arcane Background (Weird Science), Gadgeteer
GEAR: Saddle, Saddle Bags, Cloths (Hat, Chaps, Shirt, Breaches, Gunbelt, Boots), ...

WEAPONS:
Lightning Gun (Bolt Device), Rapier (hidden in walking cane), Derringer

FATE CHIPS: 3

(2 minor for a skill point each, 1 major for noble)
Advances:
1st Raise repair to d8
2nd Gadgeteer edge

still need to decide on delusion (took it for the classic 'mad' feel) and equipment.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
[MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION]: Are you sure about those Silk Stockings for your guy? :lol:

I was unsure about that, but the equipment list does not say anything about socks. I was kind of reaching back to something that was mentioned to us in school about when nylon was invented and used in the footwear of one of the World Wars, replacing silk, and " nylon stocking " somehow sounded more familiar than " nylon socks " . Besides, I kind of thought stocking was used as a colloquial synonym for socks. I mean, hardly anyone says " trousers " these days either.

Wikipedia says this:

Historically, even though the word sock is at least as ancient in origin, what men normally wore were often referred to as stockings, probably especially when referring to longer hose at times when they were the fashion for men.

I did go back and change it though.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I am unsure of what to do about ammunition for these weapons... The LeMat, according to wikipedia, was a cap and ball weapon, as well as the issue of it appearing to use two distinct kinds of ammunition. Including the Colt, are they all powder and shot, or is the LeMat percussion caps?

The issue what you are talking about is really an failure of the rules which deal with the authors simplifying things (the omited distinction between muzzle and breach loader weapons and rimfire and cap and ball weapons). Without going into to much detail, all of the firearms I'm allowing are technically cap and ball. However, according to deadlands only the weapons with Reload 2 are cap and ball (which is a failure).

Unless its a musket assume the following is true:
The gun fires a lead ball that is packed in gun powder and wrapped in flash paper or combustible foil. This applies for the main bullet that the lemut uses. The second muzzle uses an cartridge of shot ( a proto shotgun shell, later in production the actually were built to use shotgun shells).

Muskets and some older muzzle loader weapons (ie rifles) often require you to pour powder and a lead ball (or some shot) into the muzzle, pack it (hence reload 2).

Note: Rimfire guns are modern styled bullets.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Yeap, I double facepalmed! English and Spanish should never be mixed. It creates these kinds of aberrant speech. I could even stat out a monster: "Spanglish Aberration"

Anyway, good luck with your game!

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I think I'll close recruitment now since we have 3 finished characters and are waiting for the final 2 to be posed.

Since we most likely will be started before [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] has his character finished, we could join in at a rancho, mission, or wherever the group is at. :D

That said, I have some questions:

Thanee-
1. What is the quality of the saloon does Scarlet work in? Ie, is it seedy, exclusive, or the type of place anyone can go into and loose their money?
2. In her time as a saloon girl, what was the most incriminating thing that Scarlet has discovered about a patron?
3. Something to think about: If Scarlet's boss (or his rival) suddenly became President, how would she react? (I mention this because President Pio Pico *was* the owner of several dramshops/saloons before manipulating his way into power.)

Kaodi-
1. Has Rattlesnake ever been to Monterey? How about San Fransisco?
2. Has Rattlesnake ever been involved in a duel? Was he ever involved in a scuffle that escalated into fire fight?
3. Would Rattlesnake risk going into the town he is wanted in? If not under what conditions would he?

Walking Dad-
1. Would the Professor sell weapons to one side of a war? How about both?
2. Are the Professor's inventions made for the betterment of man, to advance science, for fame, or the result of his attempts to stretch the limits of the impossible?
3. Does the professor have a lab assistant?

Fenris and [MENTION=40754]HandofMystra[/MENTION] will receive their questions once I see more info about their characters.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Kaodi-
1. Has Rattlesnake ever been to Monterey? How about San Fransisco?

Being wanted, I imagine he has moved around quite a bit, so I will say yes.

2. Has Rattlesnake ever been involved in a duel? Was he ever involved in a scuffle that escalated into fire fight?

:D The epithet " the Snake " is strictly pejorative, and Geoffrey has been called many versions of it. " Rattlesnake " I imagined is what his companions call him because of a penchant for lecturing them on various historical trivia.

Now, Geoffrey has earned this name for his peculiar philosophy on fighting. He is a big fan of George Silver's Paradoxes of Defence, and the key insight he learned from it was of the Italian duelists who would always thrust first, and the accompanying anecdote of how occassionally both duelists would die, having run each other through. This is rather like duels in the Wild West.

Geoffrey, instead, eschews duelling because it artificially emphasizes fighters who are able to draw quickly and shoot accurately first. His philosophy is that you watch what other people are doing, and when someone tips there hand and shows that they have the intent to kill you you shoot them then and there, no duelling required.

In fact, Geoffrey's wanted status and enemy derives from just such an occassion, I imagine. The fellow he killed issued an ultimatuum to fight him in the classic duel at High Noon, but Geoffrey just drew and shot him then and there. It is likely a larger fire fight ensued, and he has probably been at least one or two others as well. The man he shot is the brother, or at least close relative, of his enemy, I would think.

3. Would Rattlesnake risk going into the town he is wanted in? If not under what conditions would he?

Probably not, unless he figured he had a detailed plan on how he was going to get back out alive. It is not so much that he would be afraid to go, just that he understands it would be foolish without the right reason and opportunity. The right reason would probably involve pissing off and or killing his enemy and getting away with it.

Walking Dad

First Post
1. Would the Professor sell weapons to one side of a war? How about both?
- He would, but he isn't much interested in conventional weapons and warfare. Revolutionizing it with his inventions is an entirely different thing...
2. Are the Professor's inventions made for the betterment of man, to advance science, for fame, or the result of his attempts to stretch the limits of the impossible?
- Not the first, much of the second and third. He does the 4th to get the 2nd and the 3rd ;)
3. Does the professor have a lab assistant?
- He is rather paranoid about someone stealing his ideas (maybe a good delusion?). So he would like to have an assistant for the heavy lifting and boring tasks, but not someone he shares his thoughts with.

Remove ads