• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Savage Worlds, Explorers Ed. vs. the big book

Tewligan

First Post
So, I'd been thinking of running this for at least a one-shot for a while now, and started thinking about it again after reading Wik's SW thread. I still need to, y'know, buy the book and actually READ it, and I was wondering which I should get. Does the big hardcover book have a lot of rules-n-such missing from the Explorer's Edition? Or is it just fiction and pretty artwork I'd be missing out on?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
The Explorer's Edition is actually the most recent and up-to-date version of the core rules, to the best of my knowledge (or it was until very recently, lest they have released a new hardcover core rule book that I'm not aware of). It actually superceeds the two older hardcover rule books (original and revised) in terms of errata incorporation and updated rules content.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
From what I understand, the only things missing from the big book in the Explorer's Edition are the fantasy races; all the rules (except the ones they've updated and errata'ed) are the same and intact.

The production values on the Explorer's Edition are WAY WAY WAY better than I would ever expected to find on a $10 RPG, BTW.

JediSoth

Wik

First Post
Yeah, the Explorer's Edition is the new edition. It has a few minor rules changes, from what I can gather - you can no longer spend bennies on extra XP (a good thing), and weapon damage is a bit more random in that die codes are now "Str + d4" instead of the old "Str + 2", so there's more chance you can ace damage rolls and deal a wallop of damage (This is a useful thing... it cuts down die rolling)

I don't know what's missing from the big book, but something tells me it's not important. Anything you need to add, like races and whatnot, can easily be picked up from one of the conversions out there. And there's plenty of stuff released by Pinnacle for free on their website to get you started. This is a game that requires a bit of DM creation, and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Tewligan

First Post
Huh - well, that's an easy choice then! I'll pick it up next time I'm at the FLGS, and maybe try to run a one-shot at next month's meetup. Thanks, all!

Flynn

First Post
Tewligan, after you've run your One Shot, please feel free to post about your gaming experience here. I would love to hear how your game goes.

With Regards,
Flynn

Remove ads