Savage Worlds for Spelljammer

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I've just had the idea to run a Spelljammer game with Savage Worlds, using the ship combat from Pirates of the Spanish Main. Now I'm going crazy waiting for the core rules to arrive so I have the magic system. Aaaah!

Anyways, it strikes me that Savage Worlds is perfection on toast for Spelljammer-can I get a witness?

Chaldfont

First Post
I think this would be a blast. You might also be interested in Sundered Skies, a flying-ship setting coming out for Savage Worlds soon.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Spelljammer has the kind of swashbuckling vibe I think Savage Worlds was made for. I think I'd play an SW Spelljammer game.

JediSoth

drnuncheon

Explorer
Bizarrely enough, my group was talking about this yesterday - as near as I can tell, at the exact time that you were posting. I've started to take mental notes, digging though what I remember of Spelljammer for what is best to keep and what is best to throw away.

I had a great time doing a Sky Pirates one-shot with Savage Worlds, and 50 Fathoms and Pirates of the Spanish Main ought to be excellent sources for ideas.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Well, it's going awesomely! Turned out to be more influenced by Treasure Planet than Spelljammer, due to the deep and abiding love for Treasure Planet that I and my group treasure. The PCs have been trading amongst planets in a system, fighting orc pirates, rescuing catfolk rebels from the elven secret police, snatching a very valuable courier ship from underneath the noses of a group of gnomish space pirates, getting their own ship smashed to pieces by the gnomes, getting away in the courier, and ending up with one player (who has the Filthy Rich edge) coming into his inheritance and...well, becoming Filthy Rich! We're going to start the next session at a big party he's throwing on board his new yacht, and the wicked machinations of his siblings to take his money will unfold....mwahahahaha! :]

WayneLigon

Adventurer
John Q. Mayhem said:
Well, it's going awesomely! Turned out to be more influenced by Treasure Planet than Spelljammer, due to the deep and abiding love for Treasure Planet that I and my group treasure.

My favorite Disney movie :) Sounds like things are going great. I got the new Savage Worlds Explorer edition in the mail the other day and it is a thing of beauty. Part of me wishes that it was about 15-20 pages longer to accomodate a few more monsters and some non-human player races and said 'D&D 4E' on it's Wayne Reynolds cover. :)

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I prefer Star Wars Saga Edition for a Tactics/RPG take on Spelljammer (easier conversion, near-zero conversion for the material with a 3e rerelease) and Spirit of the Century for a different way of handling it.

Nonetheless, I can totally see using Savage Worlds, too. Definitely a better fit mechanically than any extant version of D&D.

Remove ads