Savage Worlds - Hit Point System?

Adoamros

First Post
I'll go look for that, unless you have a link. I hadn't heard of anyone tinkering so heavily with the core wound mechanic of the game, that I thought it might be a sin. I'm glad to see any other house rules other people have made regarding this.

enpeze66

First Post
Well, I dont see much advantage in introducing a HP system. SW is designed not as DnD. Each piece of the rules is stongly intereconnected. If you take out something it should be with good reason and substituted with a well thought out rule.

With a HP system probably combat becomes much slower. Everybody has to track HPs and the GM cannot throw anymore dozens of enemies or allies against each other. Our typical SW combats are ca. 20+ combatants. Our biggest SW combat was 125 combatants. We were able to finish this unforgettable and formidable combat in only 3.5h or so. (roleplaying included)

I doubt that this would be possible with a new HP rule where you have to keep track of so many creatures life energy. Even smaller combat with only a few dozen combatants would be slowed to a crawl, IMO. One of the strong SW advantages (large full-action skirmishes in comparable short time) would be gone.

But one thing this whole thread shows. There IS a demand out there for a game system which is as simple, direct, complete and effective like SW but also a little bit more deterministic and "tamer" than SW.

Last edited:

Warbringer

Explorer
The main problem is the "shaken" conditon that is effectively action denial.

Try -2 and -1 conditions for failure and success on Spirit check rather than lockdown (bennies are too much fun to waste of action denial)

herrozerro

First Post
The main problem is the "shaken" conditon that is effectively action denial.

Try -2 and -1 conditions for failure and success on Spirit check rather than lockdown (bennies are too much fun to waste of action denial)

It is action denial, but there are free actions you can use like move for instance.

And it is also a condition you can remove at any time with a bennie.

oz_chandler

Explorer
i think most of the posters are over-thinking the fix here. toughness x3 = hit points for wild cards; change nothing else. gone are the multiple hits that do nothing until a threshold is reached and then nothing happens until another threshold is reached. let's face it, how much book keeping does it take to keep track of a few wild cards at most during a combat session for a GM? mooks still die after a successful attack from the pc's and the wild cards have a better idea of their health when the hit points get lower.

imho it takes more player and gm attention to remember the adjustments to wild cards depending on their wound level than to subtract a few points from a single source.

i've talked to clint black at several gencons about an official variant/optional rule for hit points, but that addition will never happen. so for our group who loves savage worlds, it's the fix that works well.

A

amerigoV

imho it takes more player and gm attention to remember the adjustments to wild cards depending on their wound level than to subtract a few points from a single source.

As a GM of Savage Worlds, I do disagree. The system as written allows me to keep my eyes on the table, not tracking HPs. We use visual markers for wounds, so its easy to know what penalties are in play for wounds. I just cringe anytime I play a HP based system now. But to each their own.

Remove ads