Savannah Knights (mild update 06-10-05)

What is your opinion of this storyhour

• I have read most of this story, but I wouldn't suggest it to others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After a quick glance, I decided I didn't like it.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I glanced at it, and thought it was okay.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • This is a good story, and I recommend you take a look a tit.

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • I check this thread every few days for new updates, I like it so much. I also regularly check the w

Votes: 8 17.4%

Imhotepthewise

Explorer
Yes, I often do think of Dragons and Ghosts while eating Pop-Tarts.

Great Job, Ryan and Jessie. I can see your hearts and souls in this story, which is what real roleplaying should bring out. I eagerly anticipate reading Tides of Homeland.

Well, I posted earlier this morning, and the boards chewed it up, so by now I've calmed down enough to try again.

First of all, if you are interested in Tides of Homeland, here's a quick link to the storyhour thread on this messageboard:

http://www.enworld.org/messageboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94

If you'd rather look at the website, which has pictures (and is updated biweekly), the address is:

http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/Tides_of_Homeland/Tides_of_Homeland.html

Now, let me get back into the mood for thanking you all for reading this. You asked why the campaign ended here. Well, aside from the emotional satisfaction of overcoming a threat that would be hard to top, the chiefest reason was we, the players and DM, were all going our separate ways after High School. We almost didn't get a chance to finish it at all.

The summer of 2000, we all graduated from high school, and had chosen different colleges to go to thereafter. We wanted to try to finish the game before the summer ended, but sadly, in the last session right before Madeline's player Courtney had to head off to college, we were just finishing the part of the game in New Orleans. We had just figured out who Legion was, but we weren't going to be able to do anything about it. We were all kinda miffed, but Jessie (in her typical way) thought that it was her fault, that we could've finished if she'd gone faster (as it was, we played about twice a week!). I'm sorry, Jess, but you blame yourself way too often.

Anyway, it took some convincing to make her realize that we wanted to finish the game, and then that Christmas, when all of us went home for the semester break, we played through the end of the game. After that, we realized it was too much of a hassle to keep trying to get together only once or twice a year. Also, we had been looking forward to the last game as 'the end' for so long, that we were psychologically prepared to leave the characters behind.

At the end of the last game, everything was pretty cool and happy, but it is our gimmick to always write an ending to any campaign we finish, so we asked everyone what their characters were going to do. We weren't quite sure if the PCs wanted to have anything to do with the Bureau anymore.

Cai said he'd track down his brother after he could get some sleep, and see if he'd go back to the Bureau. Madeline and Finagle were going to stay in the Bureau, and Finagle wanted to hang out with Brian's ghost. Chad, Tagin's player, realized that no one seemed to want to be with his character, only the ghost he was bonded with, so he decided that he wished he didn't have the ghost. I, playing Jenny, said I'd stay with Tagin to try to help him through getting used to being with Brian. Well . . . that sigh of frustration from Chad convinced us to make the ending more than just a happy sum-up. We had to tie up the emotional loose end of Tagin and Brian, and a few more here and there.

Jessie and I shared the task of writing it, each of us throwing in a few twists (I made Balthazar a Knight of the Round), and in the end, we decided that the stories of the PCs were over for now. If anything else happened to them, it would be far down the line, when we got around to writing them in comic book form. Hopefully in three or four years, we'll actually get that chance.

I loved these characters, and I love the depth and possibility of the world, so I intend to keep writing with Jessie in it for a while. She's running another game with her friends who are actually going to SCAD, and I'm sure she'll get around to posting that some day, but for now let's just remember the characters of this story. I know who my favorite is, but hey, I'm biased.

Savannah Knights

Finagle P. Luckshore: Male human Wiz5; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d4+10; hp 24; Init +2; Spd 30 ft.; AC 12 (Dex); Atk +1 gyroscopic compressed air rifle of shocking +5 ranged (dart + 1d6 electricity); SQ ghostbond; SV Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2; Str 9, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 7, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Computer Use +9, Concentration +10, Craft (gyroscopes) +9, Hide +4, Listen +0, Knowledge (arcana) +13, Knowledge (electronics) +9, Knowledge (mechanical engineering) +9, Spellcraft +13, Spot +6; Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Greater Spell Focus (Evocation), Run, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (evocation).
Note: Computer Use and Spot are his floating class skills.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Empathic Link, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spirit Manifestation, Touch, Turn Resistance, +2 Intelligence.

Spells per Day: 4 / 5 / 3 / 2. Typically prepared—Arc of Lightning (as Ray of Frost), Flare, Mage Hand, Mending / Endure Elements, Magic Missile x2, Shield, Shocking Grasp / Lightning Arrow (as Acid Arrow), Resist Elements, Shatter / Lightning Bolt, Protection from Elements.

Items: +1 gyroscopic compressed air rifle of shocking. Spectacles of Truth, true seeing once per day.

Madeline West: Female human Sor5; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d4+10; hp 24; Init +1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 11 (Dex); Atk blunt object +3 melee (1d4+1), or taser +3 ranged (2d10 subdual/crit x3), or hand crossbow +3 ranged (1d3); SQ ghostbond; SV Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +6; Str 12, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 15.

Skills and Feats: Computer Use +2, Controlled Driving +11, Gather Information +6, Intimidate +1, Intuit Direction +4, Knowledge (arcana) +2, Knowledge (photography) +3, Profession (photojournalist) +4, Scry +7, Speak Language (Spanish), Spellcraft +11, Swim +1; Clotheshift, Silent Spell, Skill Emphasis (controlled driving).
Note: All Knowledge skills, Speak Language, and Spot are class skills for Madeline because of her Performing Arts education. Computer Use and Controlled Driving are her floating class skills.

Spells Per Day: 6 / 7 / 5 — dancing lights, daze, detect magic, disrupt undead, light, detect magic / change self, magic missile, protection from evil, spiderclimb / alter self, invisibility.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Empathic Bond, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spirit Manifestation, Touch, Turn Resistance, Wild Spellcaster Template, +1 bonus to all saves to resist magic.

Items: Gauntlet of Shielding (4 charges; 1 charge casts shield); Earrings of Wallspeak (clairaudience at will).

Cai Maxwell: Male human Ftr5; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d10+20; hp 47; Init +3; Spd 30 ft.; AC 19 (+3 Dex, +6 Overcoat of Armor); Atk masterwork arcane katana +9 melee (1d10+3/crit 19/x2), or unarmed +8 melee (1d3+3 subdual), or sawed-off double-barrel 12-gauge shotgun +8 ranged (varies*/crit x3); SV Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4; Str 17, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 14.

Skills and Feats: Climb +4, Jump +11, Knowledge (Japanese culture and etiquette) +9, Listen +2, Profession (cook) +3, Profession (martial arts instructor) +4, Tumble +11; Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana), Expertise, Improved Unarmed Strike, Iron Will, Power Attack, Sense of Honor.
Note: Knowledge (Japanese culture and etiquette) and Tumble are Cai’s floating class skills.

*Shotguns deal damage based on range. They deal 3d6 to a target within 10 feet, 2d6 to a target within 20 feet, and 1d6 damage to any target in a 5-foot wide path out to maximum range. However, sawed-off shotguns fire in a cone, dealing 3d6 to a target within 5 feet, and 2d6 to a target within 10 feet, and 1d6 damage to any target within the cone, up to 30 feet away.

Items: Wicked Wing, +1 arcane lightblade katana, a wielder at full health can fire a 20-foot semi-circular wave of energy, dealing 2d10 points of damage; wielder can fly for a total of 10 rounds per day. Overcoat of Armor, +6 AC, DR 5/+1 against bullets.

Iscalio Maxwell: Male human Drd5; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d8+15; hp 37; Init +4; Spd 30 ft.; AC 14 (Dex); Atk masterwork arcane scythe +6 melee (2d4+3/crit x4), or unarmed +5 melee (1d3+2 subdual), or automatic pistol +7 ranged (1d10/crit x3); SQ spells, animal companion, nature sense, ghostbond, woodland stride, trackless step, resist nature’s lure, wildshape (1/day); SV Fort +7, Ref +5, Will +6; Str 14, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Animal Empathy +10, Concentration +11, Disguise +8, Escape Artist +12, Knowledge (nature) +7, Profession (cook) +5, Spot +10, Wilderness Lore +10; Combat Casting, Endurance, Improved Unarmed Strike.
Note: Escape Artist and Spot are Iscalio’s floating class skills.

Spells per Day: 5 / 4 / 3 / 1. Typically prepared — Detect Magic, Flare, Know Direction, Light, Resistance / Cure Light Wounds, Entangle, Obscuring Mist, Summon Nature’s Ally I / Flame Blade, Resist Elements, Summon Swarm / Plant Growth.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Empathic Link, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spectral Blow, Spirit Manifestation, Touch, Turn Resistance.

Jenny Windgrave: Female human Pal5; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 5d10; hp 33; Init –1; Spd 30 ft.; AC 17 (-1 Dex, +4 Jacket of Armor, +4 Charisma); Atk shortspear +5 melee (1d8/crit x3), or fethlefeira, +1 holy shortbow +6 ranged (1d6+3/crit x3), or automatic pistol +5 ranged (1d10+2/crit x3); SA smite evil (+4 attack, +5 damage), turn undead (10/day); SQ detect evil, divine grace, lay on hands (20 hp), divine health, aura of courage, remove disease, ghostbond, divine defense (Cha bonus to AC, use a turn attempt to gain DR 4/+3 for 5 rounds); SV Fort +9, Ref +4, Will +10; Str 11, Dex 8, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 18.

Skills and Feats: Diplomacy +10, Knowledge (Native American history) +5, Knowledge (Christianity) +5, Perform +14, Sense Motive +9, Speak Language (French), Spot +3; Artist (+2 to Perform and Craft (costumes)), Extra Turning, Iron Will.
Note: All Knowledge skills, Perform, and Speak Language are class skills for Jenny because of her Performing Arts education. Sense Motive and Spot are her floating class skills.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Empathic Link, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spirit Manifestation, Touch, Turn Resistance, +1 to Will and Fortitude saves, and a +2 bonus to resist level drains and death effects.

Items: Fethlefeira, +1 holy shortbow of turning; once per day it can fire an turning bolt, which only affects the target struck, but turns it as though the wielder were 4 levels higher. Marksman’s Gloves, +1 to hit and +2 damage with ranged weapons. Jacket of Armor, +4 AC.

Tagin-Eve: Male human Rog4/Sor1; Medium-size Humanoid (human); HD 4d6+1d4+5; hp 20; Init +3; Spd 30 ft.; AC 13 (Dex); Atk switchblade +1 melee (1d4-1/crit 19/x2), or automatic pistol +5 ranged (1d10/crit x3); SA sneak attack +2d6; SQ evasion, ghostbond, spells, uncanny dodge; SV Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +1; Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 7, Cha 11.

Skills and Feats: Bluff +8, Climb +3, Computer Use +17, Disable Device +10, Disguise +4, Escape Artist +7, Gather Information +4, Hide +11, Knowledge (arcana) +6 Knowledge (computers) +10, Listen +0, Move Silently +11, Open Locks +5, Pick Pockets +7; Improved Initiative, Magic Touch, Skill Emphasis (Computer Use).
Note: Computer Use and Knowledge (computers) are Tagin’s floating class skills.

Spells Per Day: 5 / 3 — detect magic, ghost sound, light, open/close / alarm, obscuring mist.

Ghostbond Abilities: Alertness, Empathic Link, Locative Bond, See Spirit, Share Spells, Speak with Spirit, Spirit Manifestation, Spiritual Juxtaposition, Touch, Turn Resistance.

Background:
Tagin. . . . *sigh* Tagin. What’s to say about Tagin? Did you notice that I never posted his 1st level stats? I was wondering if anyone would catch that little inside joke. . . . I mean, for the first half of the story, he mostly just wanted to be ignored, to be unseen. In a way, just as the Bureau wants to keep us from finding out about magi, Tagin wanted himself to be a secret, since he never valued his own self-worth.

His real name is Sean Charleson, from New Mexico, and he was the kind of person who always wanted others to make friends with him, even though he was never active enough to be friendly first. He used to not like being noticed, and spent most of his time finding ways to avoid be seen or singled out for anything.

He still keeps in touch with his parents, who separated when he was in high school, but aside from them, he has tried to be an island unto himself, not upholding those few friendships he did have in his home town. His initial interest in the Bureau, and in how he could free himself from having to rely on the real world, waned when we realized that the Bureau wanted to give him a purpose in life, something he had never before realized that he wanted to avoid.

In a bizarrely self-referential twist, he has ended up taking a liking to the Sci-fi show The Invisible Man (a twist because the main character always comments about he himself doesn’t want to remain unseen and invisible), ever since he bonded with Brian. Their relationship is strained to say the least, along the lines of The Odd Couple, only without the humor. For now, though, Sean is willing to just live with it. He holds to the belief that it is unnatural for Brian to have endured, and though he remains uncomfortable, he is slowly growing to accept Brian’s presence. Brian has promised that if Sean ever gets married, he will exorcise himself, because he would want to give his friend the normal life he desires. In a way, it is this desire for friendship that allows the two of them to co-exist, but it is Sean’s hope that he’ll be able to make real friends quickly. It’s just weird being friends with a ghost.

Thank you for reading. Give me your comments if you have any, and I'll answer questions if you have them, but unless that, I shall be going now, moving on to something new.

P.S. Men In Black II is coming out this summer. I'm gonna be first in line. :)

Floating class skills are sort of a house rule that we use to reflect modern society. Anyone from an industrialized nation probably has more free time than would someone in a medieval setting, so each character gets to choose two skills to be considered class skills. They can pick any skill other than exclusive skills, and, as long as they can provide a reason why their character would be able to study those things, they can always consider those skills to be class skills. It varies from PC to PC, thus the term, 'floating class skills'.

I'm just posting a bump to renew a little interest before I submit this storyhour to be hosted on Russ's server. So here's your last chance to comment on this thread. :) Ah, nostalgia.

Knight Otu

First Post
Ahh, Savannah Knights, the first Story Hour I ever read. :)
I think I've read it when this place was still run by Eric Noah! :cool:
A very good Story Hour! Too bad that it never even was allowed for WotC's Fantasy Setting Search, even if you decided not to take part (Too high tech :().

Well, we could've submitted it just the medieval-period, ignoring the modern stuff, but that ruins most of the fun. But hey, I still get to use elements of it in Nat20's "Mythic Earth," which I'm writing for a December 2002 deadline.

And yeah, the nostalgia's great and all, but I do wish Jessie would run some more games. Unfortunately, she'd rather be a player this summer, so she is roleplaying as a half-Minotaur berserker named Sabri Zeldathane. I'll upload the picture some time. If you compare it to some of the pics she did for Savannah Knights, you'll see she has improved greatly. :)

Now, all that remains is to arrange this all pretty-like in a .doc file, and away she goes!

Jarval

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
Ahh, Savannah Knights, the first Story Hour I ever read. :)
I think I've read it when this place was still run by Eric Noah! :cool:
A very good Story Hour! Too bad that it never even was allowed for WotC's Fantasy Setting Search, even if you decided not to take part (Too high tech :().

I was going to say all of that :( (;)) Great stuff Ranger, the first Story Hour I read, and still one of the best.

Edit: It'd be great to see more of Jessie's art, so post that pic if you get the chance.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
Hi, all! :)

Well, we could've submitted it just the medieval-period, ignoring the modern stuff, but that ruins most of the fun. But hey, I still get to use elements of it
in Nat20's "Mythic Earth," which I'm writing for a December 2002 deadline.
Reminds me that I should ask my local retailer if they are going to get Mystic Eye products.

Unfortunately, she'd rather be a player this summer, so she is
roleplaying as a half-Minotaur berserker named Sabri Zeldathane. I'll upload the picture some time. If you compare it to some of the pics she did for
Savannah Knights, you'll see she has improved greatly.
She was already very good at that time. :) I'm looking forward to see her new pictures. :)

I was going to say all of that :( (;)) Great stuff Ranger, the first Story Hour I read, and still one of the best.
Look at it this way: I saved you from typing it ;) :).

Remove ads