Savannah Knights (mild update 06-10-05)

What is your opinion of this storyhour

• I have read most of this story, but I wouldn't suggest it to others.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After a quick glance, I decided I didn't like it.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I glanced at it, and thought it was okay.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • This is a good story, and I recommend you take a look a tit.

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • I check this thread every few days for new updates, I like it so much. I also regularly check the w

Votes: 8 17.4%

Chapter Fifteen: The Whore of Babylon

The party mulls over the last words of Dalavar Kineil. Balthazarr, Iscalio, and the other knights Dalavar had telepathically dominated have left, giving the group time to heal and rest in an old plantation house on the outskirts of New Orleans that once served as a base for the Bureau.

In Neil’s last moments, he said that Tagin had already seen the ‘Son of Man’ and his Archangel. It was pretty obvious that in Dalavar’s deluded mind he had matched Legion with the Son of Man (the second coming of Jesus for the apocalypse), and they could pin Autumn as the ‘Whore of Babylon.’ Jenny points out that since Autumn is apparently working with Legion, Dalavar didn’t quite get everything to fit properly, since in Revelation, the Whore of Babylon is on the side of the Dragon of the Apocalypse.

Those are the two references the group can’t figure out right away. The ‘Dragon,’ and Legion’s ‘Archangel.’ They guess that the Dragon is some magical creature Legion is trying to find or kill, since so far Legion has been killing off Dragons, driving half-Elf telepaths insane, and trying to kill a Siren.

It all fits when they remember the fight with zombies in Bonaventure Cemetery, in Savannah. Neil had mentioned that they’d seen Legion and his Archangel at the gates of heaven, and moments before the zombie attack, Michael had pointed out a monument over the grave of one wealthy Savannah redsident. The sculpture was a huge marble arch meant to represent the gates of heaven, complete with a life-size St. Peter standing to usher people through.

In Revelation, the Dragon fights with the Archangel Michael, and forces the Dragon to the earth. Michael, the Archangel.

Cai asks, “What was the name of the ghost that was in the cemetery?”

Madeline answers, “Gerrard. He said he was lost.”

Cai nods. “How much do you want to bet that Gerrard is the name of the ghost who bonded to Michael?”

Finagle’s eyes widen. “It was in that same cemetery where we chased . . . what’s his name? Jericho. The man who killed the first two Dragons. Michael was there, and when he killed Jericho, he passed out. And after that he started acting funny. I . . . I saw him in the Bureau one day talking all secret-like with Autumn. And he started swearing at the Dragon.”

It clicks, and everyone sits silently for a moment, considering the implications. Legion possessed Michael somehow, and in the process forced out the ghost Michael had already bonded with.

“But,” Jenny points out, “Legion doesn’t have total control of Michael. He was surprised when we told him about Keira’s death. Legion’s working with Autumn, so if we can stop Legion, we can go back to the Bureau.”

Cai grumbles, not sure he would actually want to go back to the Bureau. Madeline and Finagle seem to agree with him. They want to stay as far away from Autumn and Legion as possible. Jenny nods in agreement, and they all look to Tagin for his opinion.

Tagin looks worried and starts to glance around nervously. He feels something tingling on the back of his neck, sending a brief shiver down his spine. And then a familiar but somehow hollow voice reaches his ears.

“We gotta take ‘er down, Tagin. Don’t worry. Whatever happens, I got your back.”

Tagin groans in dismay as the ghostly image of Brian Greenman appears in his vision, still dressed in the same ‘Die Orcs!’ shirt he was wearing when Autumn shut off his heart and killed him.

Everyone looks at Tagin in confusion, since no one else can see Brian’s ghost. When the ghost of Finagle’s uncle relays to Finagle that Brian has come back and is bonding with Finagle, the 16-year-old kid genius begins to jump for joy. His dear friend Brian is back, even he did decide to bond with Tagin.

Tagin asks Brian what he did to deserve this torture. Tagin found Brian fairly annoying in life, and he certainly doesn’t want a ghost of the guy following around forever now that he’s dead. Brian ignores the insults, too intent on getting revenge on the whore who killed him.

Brian describes his death, hoping to convince them that they need to kill Autumn in revenge.

He says: “It was awful. I was sitting there, trying to remember so I could tell you all what happened, and then suddenly I felt something go wrong in my chest. I concentrated, trying to force my heart to keep beating, y’know, making my saving throw and all that. But then I felt a blast hit my mind, and I knew I was seeing the last 3d4 rounds of my life.”

Brian also explains that it was his intervention that kept Dalavar from mind blasting Tagin just a while back. So he thinks he’s already proven that he can cover Tagin’s back.

Tagin fluctuates every minute or so between anger toward Brian and depression, but when the party begins to discuss their plans, he’s able to focus a little better. They all realize that somehow they have to prove to the Bureau that they weren’t responsible for killing the Dragons or the illithid J’Qwuan, and that means breaking the Chief out of Autumn’s grip somehow. Also, in a remarkable act of heroism, Tagin tells the rest of the group that they don’t have to come with him, but he is going to try to stop Legion.

He plans to find out where Legion will strike next, and Tagin will be there to stop him.

But before we get to the plan, let’s go over the characters again.

“Chuck” Tagin-Eve, 3rd/1st level rogue/sorcerer, bonded with the ghost of Brian Greenman (D&D player and fellow hacker). Tagin still refuses to reveal his real name. His most substantial ability is the +15 bonus he has to hacking. Until now, Tagin has always been a skulker, not noticed by anyone, and glad because of it. Now, however, he finds himself the center of attention.

Jenny Windgrave, 4th level paladin, bonded with the ghost of Pataman, her great, etc. grand-uncle from the Powhatan tribe of Indians in the 1630s. Jenny is unnerved at all this talk of apocalyptic events. Even though she doesn’t actually believe Dalavar’s insane ramblings, she won’t totally discount them. She is a devout Christian, and in the past few weeks has seen that ghosts and goblins are real, so she is willing to suspend her disbelief some more.

Madeline West, 4th level wild sorceress, bonded with Catherine, the ghost of a woman hung in the Salem, Massachusettes witch trials centuries ago. Madeline is sensitive to everyone’s worries, but she herself isn’t worrying too much. She’s always been interested in the occult, and is more concerned with getting killed than about Legion stopping a war. Unfortunately, Catherine is a bit sheepish. She was killed falsely for witchcraft, afterall, and so she doesn’t enjoy using magic now. Thus, every once in a while Madeline’s magic mishaps.

Finagle P. Luckshore, 4th level wizard (technomancer, he calls himself), bonded with the ghost of his uncle Cheston, an inventor. Finagle fell into a slump when his friend Brian was killed, but now that Brian is back, Finagle is good to go. Of course, now that his compressed air tranq rifle is broken, he’ll have to rely on magic for a change, instead of technology. (One of Jessie’s biggest complaints was that Finagle never seemed to want to act like a mage, so Jessie took initiative and left the guy no other choice.) Finagle also has a pet gargoyle named Herbie, who he had left behind in Balthazar’s room, since carrying around a gargoyle would attract attention, even in New Orleans.

Cai Maxwell, 4th level fighter, now the only member of the party not able to use magic. His over-developed sense of justice is battling with his sense of prudence as he tries to decide whether he wants to take the fight to Autumn and Legion. Cai is pretty sure that Legion is a demon, and so he plans to drag Jenny along just in case, since she’s the resident vessel of God (those come in handy when fighting demons).

And now that you know the party’s positions concerning the current events, here’s a quick rundown of the items the party finds in storage in the attic of the plantation house. Since it was once a knight outpost, there are still a few useful items. Of course, the most immediately useful item is Cai’s new katana. To clarify, his old sword was a hilt that when activated created a normal metal katana blade. This new weapon is an ivory-white lightblade, with magic runes that Finagle reads as “Wicked Wing.”

• Wicked Wing: A light sword; obsidian hilt with long, ivory-looking blade. Its light blade emerges as a katana, and if the wielder is unwounded, he can hurl a blast of energy out to a range of thirty feet. It sweeps out a 60-degree arc, like a trail of feathers from a long wing, reaching out to a range of twenty feet. It deals 2d10 damage to anything in the path of the arc (Ref DC 14 for half damage). Additionally, the wielder can Fly, as per the spell, for a total of 10 rounds per day. Cai takes this.
  • Ammunition: Two dozen +1 hand-crossbow bolts. Several react funny to wild magic, so roll a d6 whenever fired by Madeline’s wrist crossbow:
    1-Random small animal flies out instead of the crossbow bolt. On a successful hit it clings and deals 1d2 damage per round until the target spends a round picking it off.
    2-No effect, attack is an illusion.
    3-Normal damage
    4-Deals +1d6 damage (roll 1d10: 1-2, fire; 3-4 acid; 5-6 sonic; 7-8, lightning, 9-10, cold)
    5-Roll on the minor surge table
    6-Double damage
  • Spectacles of Truth: Bulky, thick, black-rimmed glasses that grant the wearer True Seeing once per day, cast at 12th level. Finagle takes these.
  • Marksman's Gloves: Empower the wearer to grant proficiency in any ranged weapon. If she already has proficiency with a particular type of ranged weapon, she gains a +2 competence bonus to attack and a +1 competence bonus to damage with that weapon. Tagin refuses them, so Jenny takes them.
  • Overcoat of Armor: Provides +6 armor bonus to AC. Additionally, it grants the wearer damage reduction 5/+1. It's a gray trenchcoat, heavy and large, built for a large man, looking circa the thirties or forties. Cai.
  • Fethlefeira: Long, slender, polished wood; elven carvings; it is effectively a +1 Holy Shortbow, dealing to evil creatures an additional +2d6 damage. Against undead, once per day it can fire a Turning Bolt. An undead struck by this arrow is affected as though the bow wielder had tried to turn it, but at 4 levels higher. Roll normally for turning, but it only affects the one creature struck. Sadly, everyone made fun of this bow’s name, so Jenny took it, feeling a special kinship with the item.
  • Gauntlet of Shielding: A black leather glove, left-handed. It hold 4 charges. Once per round, the wearer can expend a charge to create a brief force shield. For the next round, the wearer is affected as by the shield spell, gaining +7 cover bonus to AC, immunity to magic missiles, and a +4 cover bonus to reflex saves. This applies to attacks from one half of the wearer, chosen when the shield is created. Charges refilled if gauntlet smeared with magi blood. Madeline took this for self defense.
  • Travel Keys: 2 Keys, green. Goes between any two doors, through the faerie world instead of to the Bureau.
  • Earrings of Wallspeak: Wearer gains Clairaudience, 3/day, as the spell. Madeline was the only one who wore earrings.
  • 7 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds (2d8+5): Used immediately to heal the party.

And now, back to the plan. After resting up and healing, they use the travel key to take a gate to Savannah. They first check out the cemetery to see if Michael might be there, but apparently Legion’s puppet Archangel is no longer worried with keeping up appearances.

Steeling themselves for disaster, they take the only course of action they have left: Sneaking into the Bureau. Despite almost everyone’s arguments against it, Tagin decides that going in alone, is his safest bet to avoid getting them all captured.

Everyone except for Tagin waits just outside the gate in Savannah, the gate to the Faerie World. The party keeps one key, and promises Tagin they won’t come in after him, and that if he doesn’t return within an hour, that they’ll use the key and hide. Tagin opens the gate, and takes a moment to adopt his disguise.

With a shimmer, Tagin’s appearance changes to that of Brian Greenman. No one in the party actually has any illusion spells, so the best Tagin’s able to pull off is to allow Brian to create a visual apparition of himself, to cloak Tagin’s appearance. They’re fairly certain that everyone would recognize any of them on sight as the fugitives, but they’re willing to risk that not everyone in the Bureau was familiar enough with Brian to recognize him as some obscure techie who got his brain fried a few days ago.

(Brian huffs at this, but Tagin warns him that unless he plays along, they’ll both die for good).

Tagin steps through the shining gate, and a moment later it snaps shut, dropping the parking lot of Oglethorpe dormitory into darkness.

Inside the Bureau, Tagin as Brian nods to the surprised but not violent guards who are stationed at the door to the gate room. He walks into the Bureau, navigating quickly to Brian’s old office. Tagin/Brian gets nervous whenever anyone walks by, but they only run into low-level desk-workers, and no actual knights. When they reach Brian’s office, the door is locked and covered with a variety of “Do Not Cross, Crime Scene” tape. Tagin picks the lock and they slip inside.

The room has been pillaged by knights who evidently were looking for leads to find Tagin and the others. Thankfully the computer isn’t broken, so Tagin is able to . . . after making sure Brian stops looking over his shoulder . . . is able to hack into the Bureau’s systems and find out where Autumn and Michael are supposed to be. Michael is on ‘special assignment’ out of the Bureau. Records confirm that the same day that Brian died, Autumn used the gate to go to Atlanta, where she forced Brian to poison Dornankanir and then fiddled with Cai’s memories, but she has not left the Bureau since. So Autumn is still nearby, but Michael is not. An attempt to hack into Michael’s computer fails, so Tagin does the next best thing and finds out where Michael’s room is.

They leave Brian’s room and travel across the compound, up an elevator and then a little ways further to Michael’s office. Tagin again picks the lock, then sneaks inside. Brian activates an Alarm spell to warn them if anyone comes near.

Tagin flips on the lights of Michael’s room, and is shocked at the surroundings. The wall is covered with tacked-up surveillance photos of normal-looking people, all labeled with Draconic names. The computer is still on, it’s screen open to a file database of Dragons. Tagin wonders why he couldn’t hack into the system, and then he sees that Michael had unplugged his computer’s ethernet cable.

Strewn across the desk are reams of papers listing names, statistics, and locations of hundreds of Dragons the Bureau keeps track of. At the top of the pile are five stacks of stapled pages that have been covered in harsh red pen marks. The names are too familiar. Giriuko. Flarinaman. Dornankanir. And the last two. . . . These are covered with the most writing, which actually makes it hard for Tagin to read the main print.

The two files read ‘Sexton,’ and ‘Sahkrekal.’ Tagin recognizes Sexton, the church Dragon in Atlanta who refused to admit that he actually was a Dragon. Sexton had kept rambling that no, he wasn’t a demon, wasn’t a dragon, not a demon, not a demon. As Tagin skims down the page, he sees that it’s an assessment of Sexton’s history and personality. There’s no history except that rumors place him in England as early as the 1600s. Nothing else of note, other than that he’s been at the same church for decades, and a psychological analysis done in 1982 states that Sexton is ‘entirely harmless, even in the most extreme cases of provocation.’

The red pen marks surrounding this last comment are viciously scribed, digging gouges into the paper. “Lies! Murdering demon! He’ll burn in hell.” Across the surveillance picture of Sexton’s face, the word “Sahkrekal” has again been penned.

Before reading over the other sheet, the one labeled Sahkrekal, Tagin skims through Michael’s computer, seeing that he’s collected the greatest information on wealthy Dragons involved in business, and primarily red Dragons, with a few Bronzes and Golds also thrown in, plus many Dragons listed as ‘unknown.’

Tagin closes the files on Dragons, but one file remains open, a document that catches his eye.

It starts off, “Let me tell you fools of this Knighthood about a small piece of history. About Sahkrekal, and the Legion who will destory him and all those like him. You’ll appreciate it, I’m sure, since it will put into perspective how your hopes and desyres to protect the demons of this world have failed. I shall put the pieces of the puzzle together for you, and perhaps you will be smart enough not to fight against me.”

Tagin is stunned. Apparently Legion left a note for the Bureau to find. Wanting to get out of there, Tagin copies the file onto a floppy and stands up.

Brian suddenly gasps, and Tagins turns to look at him. Even for a ghost, Brian looks pale.

“Oh my god. She’s coming. She’s . . . she’s on the other side of the door, listening to us.”

Tagin draws his guns, but as soon as he does he can hear the sound of high-heeled footsteps sprinting down the corridor. Tagin shoves the floppy and the files on Sexton and Sahkrekal into his pocket, then kicks the door open and fires a shot at Autumn as he gives chase. Since Tagin is moving so fast, Brian can’t stay close enough to hide Tagin’s appearance.

Tagin bursts into a run, and Brian casts light on Autumn, then conjures mist in the corridor, trying to foul Autumn up while still giving Tagin something to shoot at. Brian shouts for Tagin to take the woman down, but Tagin just keeps running after her.

Down a hallway, a curve, then out of the mists. A few dozen feet ahead, Autumn nears an elevator which suddenly opens to reveal three figures. Autumn runs into the elevator as the figures emerge. She shouts for them to stop the intruder while she gets reinforcements. As the doors slide shut, Autumn turns to smirk at Tagin.

Tagin skids to a stop, sizing up the opponents. An Orc, six feet tall, dressed in a loose black kung fu outfit. A Dwarf, dressed in a black suit, his beard decorated with rings and braids. And between them, its hands and feet chained together like a convict, stands a creature that looks like a surprisingly canny Sewer Demon (see Chapter Four), a reptillian humanoid with incredible strength.

The Dwarf groans. “Dammit. I’d hoped to be able to punch out early tonight.”

The Orc grins, cracking his knuckles and then dropping into a fighting stance. “Don’t worry. He doesn’t look like he’ll take too long.”

Brian whispers in Tagin’s ear that the knights are positively covered in magic. (See, the DM thought we’d all be going into the Bureau, so she worked up a nifty battle with two powerful knights. It’d be a shame to let the knights go to waste just because the party was foolish enough to send in only one guy.)

The Orc rushes forward as the Dwarf closes his eyes and hums a low chant. Tagin fires two shots at the Orc, but with blinding speed the Orcish monk whips out his hands and knocks the bullets aside, deflecting one, but getting grazed by the other. The Orc leaps upward in a flying kick, just as the Dwarf finishes his spell and drops the hallway into darkness (Orcs and Dwarves have Darkvision, and so they don’t mind).

Tagin gets a full kick to the face, and Brian begins to shout that the Dwarf’s got a gun! A big-ass Dirty Harry hand-cannon!

Tagin scrambles blindly through the darkness, waiting for the Orc to punch him. As soon as the Orc connects, Tagin guestimates where to fire and drives a bullet into the Orc’s arm. In the background he can hear Brian futilely yelling at the lizard man prisoner to help them.

The Dwarf shouts, “Get back,” and the Orc leaps away from Tagin. Tagin ducks in panic, and the wall behind him caves in with the impact of a powerful blast. Tagin continues to scramble desperately, and in the nick of time Brian casts a light cantrip to counter the darkness. Tagin gets pounded again by the Orc, dropping him to about 3 hit points, vs. an Orcish monk that’s hitting for d8+6 damage per hit.

Suddenly, the lizard man bounds to behind the Orc and snaps out with a bite, nipping the huge monk, but distracting him long enough for Tagin to get off a wonderful double-sneak-attack pistol blast into the Orc’s knees. The Orc falls to the ground in agony, and the lizard man tackles Tagin to the ground just in time to take a bullet for him. The Dwarf’s huge pistol hits the lizard man in his arm, but he grits his sharp teeth and takes the pain.

The lizard man thrusts out his chained-together wrists and feet and says, “Cut me loosssse.”

Tagin obliges, snapping the chains with a few rounds of gunfire. Free to use his hands and feet, the lizard man monk(!) pounces upon the Dwarf and waylays him in a few seconds.

An alarm begins to fill the air, alerting that one of the rogue knights is in the Bureau. Tagin runs to the elevator, shouting for the sewer demon monk to follow him. They pile into the elevator, and Tagin takes moment to override the Bureau’s electronic lockdown on the elevators. In a moment, the elevator is zooming to the floor that the gate is on.

Tagin takes a moment to rest, eyeing the pale-scaled, golden-eyed reptile that saved his life. When he asks how the lizard man knew to save him, the reptile replies that all his people—the Shan-toq, called ‘sewer demons’ by the knights—can sense magical auras, and he heard the ghost’s pleas for help. (If you recall, sewer demons have a particular affinity to magic, an ability to sense it, because they really like how magic tastes).

The Shan-toq monk introduces himself as Goghei, and says that he was brought in by the knights so they could experiment on him (it’s rare to find such an intelligent sewer demon). When Tagin asks if he’ll come with him, since they’re both trying to escape, Goghei replies, “Yesss.”

When the doors to the elevator open, they sprint through the hallway, heading toward the gate room. Whenever anyone gets too close, Tagin lays down suppressing fire, but he soon runs out of bullets. They reach the gate room without being caught, however, and Goghei leaps into the room, knocking down two guards with a flying spin kick/tail swipe. Tagin presses a (bulletless) gun against the temple of the last guard, demanding to know whether Autumn came through. The man shouts that she did, and without further ado, Tagin yells for Goghei and they leap through the gate, back to Savannah.

Tagin and Goghei (and Brian’s ghost) emerge right beside the rest of the party. Tagin closes the gate behind them, then shouts that they have to go now. Autumn’s getting away. Tagin reopens the gate, this time leading to Atlanta, and they all leap through.

(Good deductive reasoning on Tagin’s player’s part, realizing that Autumn must have been running to warn Legion. And Legion, of course, was in Atlanta, intending to kill Sexton.)

The gate in Atlanta opens nearby a Bureau garage. Goghei’s feels the presence of powerful magic inside the building, so the party rushes in, hoping to stop Autumn before she can get a car. They kick down the door and see Autumn kneeling over the body of an unconscious Bureau employee. As soon as she sees them, she breaks off from scanning the man’s thoughts and kicks into a run, sprinting into the parking-lot-like garage, filled with cars.

Jenny tries to get her new bow ready so she can shoot at Autumn, since, now that everyone’s used up all their bullets, she has the only real ranged weapon. Autumn slinks out of sight before Jenny can fire, and the party rushes after her, breaking up to search as much of the garage as possible, because Autumn must be hiding behind the various vehicles. A brief search follows, knights chasing glimpses of Autumn through aisles upon aisles of parked cars. As they hunt for her, they can hear her voice laughing gently into their minds, taunting them.

Goghei sniffs her out quickly and charges toward her, bounding over car hoods toward the fleeing telepath. Autumn mentally blasts the Shan-toq, knocking him off his feet for a moment. As the rest of the party rushes toward her, Autumn opens the large door out of the garage, revealing the midnight streets of Atlanta beyond.

Tagin helps Goghei to his feet while Cai and Jenny chase after Autumn, who can’t outrun them in her high heels and business attire. Madeline stops Finagle for a moment, pointing to the car nearest to the door of the garage. “Start this thing for me.”

As Jenny and Cai near Autumn, Cai holding Wicked Wing ready to strike, and Jenny keeping Autumn covered with Fethlefeira, Tagin and Goghei sprint out of the garage. Autumn stands nervously, half-surrounded by Cai, Jenny, Tagin, and Goghei.

Smirking, Autumn cocks her head sideways at Jenny, and suddenly the paladin turns and fires her arrow at Cai, striking him in the arm. Cai shouts in anger, then realizes that Autumn is dominating Jenny. He tries to charge at Autumn, but the telepath doesn’t rest for a moment as she mind blasts the poor man. Cai topples to the ground, stunned.

Goghei and Tagin rush out, and Goghei deflects the arrow Jenny fires at them. Tagin sprints away from Jenny toward Autumn, drawing his switchblade. The air ripples with Autumn’s mental power as first a blast of psionic energy snaps forward at Tagin, and then a stab at his brain causes his heart to flutter for a moment. Brian absorbs the brunt of the two attacks though, and Tagin leaps through, slashing at Autumn with his knife. The knife scitters across the woman’s vest, cutting the fabric, but not beneath, and Autumn just shakes her head.

An arrow flies in from behind, catching Tagin in the back of his knee, and as the hacker stumbles to the ground he sees both Jenny and Goghei advancing upon him with malicious intent. Autumn mocks him telepathically, then taunts him further by making Goghei suddenly pass out. The lizard man hits the concrete hard.

Finagle, previously invisible, leaps from behind Autumn and actually grapples with her, screaming uncontrollably about how she killed Brian. For a moment, Jenny regains her senses, and she tosses the bow so she won’t be tempted to use it if Autumn regains control. A moment later, though, Autumn fills Finagle’s nerves with pain, and the teenager begins to spasm in agony. She shoves Finagle to the ground telekinetically, then gestures for Jenny to attack Tagin again.

Jenny activates her spear and raises it to deliver a killing blow to Tagin.

But Autumn is too distracted to notice the inside of the garage. A car horn sounds from the garage, and headlight fills the dark streets as Madeline tries to ram a car into Autumn. Tagin leaps forward and knocks Jenny out of the way of the car, and Goghei instinctively tumbles out of the way. Madeline lines up perfectly with Autumn, succeeds a driving check, and steps on the . . .

Brake. She fails a Will save, and at the last moment swerves the car to stop it inches away from a cringing Autumn. As everyone scrambles off the ground, Autumn mind blasts them all, then opens the passenger door of the car.

“Thank you,” she says to Madeline, then gets in and slams the door shut. The car’s tires squeal, and it speeds off down the street, Madeline driving by Autumn’s dominating commands.

A few moments later, Jenny snaps free of the stunning attack, then Cai. Jenny heals Tagin and Finagle quickly, helping them to their feet. It takes a few rounds, but everyone gets up and piles into another car to try to give chase, with Finagle magically hotwiring this one just like he did with the last one.

As they speed down the road, they realize they have almost no idea which way Autumn has gone. Tagin knows she’s heading toward Sexton’s church, but they want to stop her before she gets there. Even Goghei can’t pinpoint her location accurately enough.

Cai pulls out his cel phone and grabs Finagle by his shirt. “Can you cast any spells over the phone?”

*ring* . . . *ring* . . . and before Autumn can stop her, Madeline acts as she normally would, and answers her cel phone. On the other end of the line, Finagle waits for Autumn’s command, “Hang up that phone,” hoping that Madeline won’t have the phone too close to her ears.

As Madeline moves puppet-like to turn off the cel phone, a piercing sonic whine shrieks through it, growing louder, shaking through the car and finally exploding in a torrent of noise. Madeline screams and slumps unconscious against the steering wheel, dropping the car into a spin which ends in it skidding to a stop in a hedgerow.

Goghei guides them, and in a few moments they come upon the crippled car. Autumn seems to have escaped with relatively little harm, and thanks to an airbag, Madeline is just confused and stunned, not seriously hurt. They know that Autumn on foot will take a while to reach the church, so they pull Madeline into the car, use their last healing potion on her, and speed through the streets of Atlanta, to a secluded old church that is home, supposedly, to a Dragon named Sahkrekal.

As the car speeds along, Tagin pops the floppy into Finagle’s laptop spellbook, opening up the file of Legion’s “manifesto.” He begins reading out its contents to the rest of the group, since it’s about a fifteen minute drive to where they want to be.

According to Legion, the Dragon Sahkrekal was a native of England over 350 years ago. Whoever Legion was, he met Sahkrekal, and the Dragon controlled him, eventually killing him after using him as a slave for years. But Legion survived as a ghost, and found a host body in which he could carry on his vengeance. However, his host was slain and his spirit was captured by another master, one who showed him how all magi need to be destroyed because they are a threat to Mankind. Decades passed, and he moved from body to body, inhabiting an entire legion of hosts in his quest to make Sahkrekal pay.

And when Legion finally confronted Sahkrekal, Legion’s full might was so powerful it drove the Dragon mad. Sahkrekal was in human form, and when his mind snapped he fled, insisting that he was not the demon Legion wanted to kill. Before Legion could finish the job, though, his host was killed, and he lost track of Sahkrekal. Now, centuries later, he was finally able to recognize Sahkrekal’s face as that of the ‘harmless’ Dragon Sexton. When Sahkrekal went mad, he crawled into the persona of Sexton, and has been too afraid to come out, for fear that Legion would find him.

And now, Legion has.

Madeline tries to convince them that they have enough information now. They can go back to the Bureau, and now that Autumn is gone, they can use the evidence to clear their names. But Finagle has personal reasons for wanting to put an end to this, and the thought of letting a murderer of Legion kill in the name of humanity is repugnant to Jenny. Tagin’s reasons are a bit more complex, but he won’t Legion win either. And Cai, as I said, has an over-developed sense of justice. Goghei just needs to hang around long enough for these knights to vouch for him, so the Bureau won’t try to dissect him.

After much worry and debate, they all agree to do whatever they can. Very late into the evening, the car pulls up to the grassy lot surrounding Sexton’s church. Over the distant drone of Atlanta’s nightlife, they can hear the lamentful calling of a lone gargoyle sitting watch atop the church, shouting that someone is already inside.

Last edited:

Sahkrekal, Ancient Red Dragon:
SZ G (Dragon [fire], 55’ long with tail, 120’ wingspan); HD 34d12+306; hp 718; Init: +6 (Dex, Improved Initiative); Spd 40, fly 200 (poor); AC 39 (-4 size, +33 natural); Atk: Bite +44 (4d6+14), 2 claws +39 (2d8+7), 2 wings +39 (2d6+7), and tail slap +39 (2d8+21), or crush +44 (4d6+21), or tail sweep (2d6+21, 30’ diameter semicircle); Face 20 ft. x 40 ft.; Reach 15 ft.; SQ Breath Weapon (60’ cone, 20d10, Ref DC 35 for half, usable once every 1d4 rounds), Fire (fire immunity, half/double cold damage on successful/failed save), Damage Reduction 15/+2; SV Fort +26, Ref +17, Will +24; Str 39, Dex 10, Con 29, Int 24, Wis 25, Cha 24; AL CE; CR 22.

Immunities: Immune to sleep and paralysis effects; Spell Resistance 28

Special Attacks: Draconic Aura (radius 300 feet), Will DC 34 to negate; Blindsight (300 feet); Keen Senses; Suggestion 3/day; Eyebite 1/day

Skills: Bluff +29, Concentration +31, Diplomacy +37, Intimidate +32, Jump +36, Knowledge (arcana) +30, Knowledge (history) +20, Listen +32, Search +30, Spot +32.

Feats: Cleave, Combat Reflexes, Flyby Attack, Greater Cleave, Hover, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-like Ability, Snatch, Sunder.

Spells/Day (cast at 15th level): 8 8 8 7 7 7 5; Spells Known: Charm Person, Magic Missile, Protection from Good, Protection from Law, Silent Image // Darkness, Daylight, Detect Thoughts, Protection from Arrows, Resist Elements // Hold Person, Lightning Bolt, Nondetection(!), Suggestion, // Fire Shield, Ice Storm, Locate Creature, Stoneskin // Cloudkill, Dismissal, Dominate Person, Wall of Force // Acid Fog, Greater Dispelling, Mass Suggestion // Delayed-Blast Fireball, Vision

Last edited:

Legion
12th level Ghost Sorcerer

Hit Dice: 12d12 (78)
Initiative: +3
AC: 16
Attacks/Damage: As host.
Saves: Fort n/a, Ref +7, Will +8
Feats: Silent Spell, Still Spell, Combat Casting, Extend Spell, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell
Abilities: Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 16

Special Abilities:
Spellcasting (Sp): Legion casts spells as a 12th Level Sorcerer. He has access to the following spells:
1st Level—Chill Touch, Comprehend Languages, Expeditious Retreat, Maxmilian’s Earthen Grasp, Shield
2nd Level—Detect Thoughts, Knock, Levitate, Minor Image, Protection from Arrows
3rd Level—Fireball, Gust of Wind, Haste, Lightning Bolt
4th Level—Phantasmal Killer, Shadow Conjuration, Shout
5th Level—Magic Jar, Wall of Force
6th Level—Geas

Incoporeal (Su): When in ghost form, Legion is incoporeal until he finds a new host. He is harmed only by other incoporeal creatures and weapons of +1 or better enchantment, or magic, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage caused by a coporeal source. Can pass through solid objects at will, and own attacks pass through armor. Always moves silently.

Malevolence (Sp): As magic jar.

Ghostly Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The “destroyed” spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are often only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s level) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Turn Resistance (Su): A ghost has a +4 turn resistance (counts as +4 HD for turning attempts; i.e., a 16 HD creature).

Aura of Suffering (Sp): Legion’s most powerful attack is one created simply by his existence. His power, from years of siphoning the power of Magi and from skipping from one host to the next, has enhanced his magical essence to dwarf that of even a dragon. Only natural magi are affected by this aura. Thus, while ghosts can sense his presence, natural magi can be driven insane. Up to twelve times per day, Legion can unleash this attack, flooding the targeted magus with all the horrors the ghost has seen over a legion of lifetimes. This attack affects one natural magus, which must succeed a Will save (DC 34) or be driven insane (as by the insanity spell). This effect ends if Legion is ever destroyed.

Last edited:

Chapter Sixteen: Archangel

Very late into the evening, the car pulls up to the grassy lot surrounding Sexton’s church. Over the drone of Atlanta’s nightlife, they can hear the lamentful calling of a lone gargoyle sitting watch atop the church, shouting that someone is already inside. Two shattered stone statues, once gargoyles, now lie lifeless in a charred patch of grass.

The Knights step out of the car, trying to spot anyone hiding in the dark scattered woods surrounding the old stone church. Herbie, Finagle’s pet gargoyle, flies up to the top of the church and tells his fellow gargoyle that there will be a fight, but his friends need to be able to avoid being ambushed. The crying gargoyle agrees to stay quiet, but makes Herbie promise that they will smite the one inside. Herbie agrees and flies back.

The Knights prepare for battle.

Madeline turns invisible and casts spiderclimb on herself, climbing the outer walls of the church to one window that is broken. This will be her ambush spot. From it she can see the interior of the church, which has a main floor, with a clerestory (an overhanging balcony with more seating) on either side wall. Candelabras in the nave of the church give off a faint glow, but it’s too dark to see anything right now. Madeline readies a magic missile for the right moment.

Jenny says a quick prayer, asking God for something that will let them stop Legion. She realizes that if Legion can simply leap from body to body, then killing Michael will only result in Legion taking one of them as a host. She feels the frustration from her ghost, Pataman, who barely tolerates Jenny’s beliefs. She turns to him and quietly asks him to work with her without any arguments, despite their disagreements. Their beliefs might be different, but right now they have the same goal.

Finagle listens to his late uncle’s ghost as the man gives him support, and as he relays a brief conversation between the technomage and Brian, the dead hacker. Tagin, unwillingly bonded with Brian, checks his empty clips absently while watching the others. Though he doesn’t want to be seen, everyone keeps glancing at him, as if he might have advice or an answer. He has none. He wishes he’d never heard of the Bureau, or at least, . . . he glances at those around him, . . . at least that he won’t have any blood on his conscience tonight.

Goghei’s scaled body stands stiffly, eyes closed, until Cai gives the signal to move. Activating his lightblade katana, Cai waves for them to follow as he strides across the field toward the church doors. Cai and Jenny take the front, with Tagin, Goghei, and Finagle following behind. They reach the church doors, and Goghei tells them that he smells the woman from before, Autumn, but he can barely notice her between the powerful auras inside the building in front of them.

Cai listens at the heavy oak doors, then pushes them open, letting a cool breeze blow in, gusting through the church across them. Jenny brushes her hair out of her face and levels her spear forward warily. She tries to detect evil, and though she can feel powerful evil nearby, something is blocking her from pinpointing it. Still actively sensing the vast room, Jenny leads the way down the central aisle toward the nave at back, where several candelabras burn. Tagin and Goghei walk down the right aisle, passing under the clerestory; and Finagle and Cai walk down the left aisle, passing under the other side.

Jenny reaches the nave and hears a soft voice coming from behind a cloth-covered pulpit. She walks around it and sees Sexton cowering on the ground. He still looks completely harmless, though even more paranoid than when they first met him. Certainly he does not look like he was once a crimson-scaled Dragon legendary for his vile hatred of humanity.

Jenny calls the others over, and they hurriedly finish their searching, then gather around the whimpering man. He is initially comforted by seeing the cross Jenny wears, but when he sees Goghei, scaly and reptilian, he shouts, “Demon!”

Jenny tries to find out if Autumn or Michael are in the church. She purposefully avoids mentioning Legion so as to keep from provoking the man. Finagle’s not as bright, though, and wonders aloud what in the world Legion could have done to a Dragon to make him snap like this.

Sexton pulls away and begins rubbing his forehead nervously, his fingers clenching the white cloth of the pulpit. Jenny is about to reprimand Finagle when her ghost, all the ghosts in fact, shout a warning. A tingling chill raises the hair on the back of everyone’s neck, and for an instant they hear a mental chuckle.

Enter Autumn.

She glides lazily down the center aisle, looking no worse for wear after the fight and car chase. The party waits for her to make the first move, since only Jenny has any ranged firepower.

Autumn stops twenty feet away, planting a hand on her hip. She gestures toward Sexton with her free hand. “Move aside, or I’ll make you.”

Tagin tries to bluff, drawing his empty pistol and pointing it at Autumn. “Back off. I don’t know why you’re working with Legion, so unless you back off and explain yourself I’ll shoot you where you stand.”

Autumn laughs. “You don’t have any bullets in there.”

Tagin grits his teeth and tries to close his mind. “I reloaded after you smashed your little head into a light pole.”

Autumn shakes her head, smirking. “Whatever, Sean. You people are such a hassle to get rid of. I’ve tried so hard, but you haven’t taken any hints.”

Finagle looks at Tagin. “She called you ‘Sean.’ Sean?

Tagin glances nervously at Finagle, then looks back to Autumn in anger. Autumn laughs.

Jenny walks forward to within ten feet of Autumn, asking as she approaches, “So, are you going to tell us why you murdered Brian and J’Qwuan? Why you helped Legion kill Keira and who knows who else? Legion hates magi, so why did you do it?”

“Because he would have destroyed me otherwise. Because when I touched Michael’s mind and found him, he showed me what place I would have in the world he wants. I would be a slave. Better to go willingly now, and maybe find something I can fight him with, than to be crushed into subservience later.”

Jenny looks at Autumn in dismay. “Then don’t fight us. We’re going to stop Legion, and we need your help.”

Autumn laughs coldly, dejectedly. “Nothing can stop Legion. You’re too weak, and you will only suffer more if you fight him. Consider this mercy.”

Autumn closes her eyes and the air feels thick around them. A mental blast thunders outward, crashing into their thoughts. The knights cry out briefly in agony, and then Sexton’s voice rises loudly as he screams in mental pain, and for an instant his features contort into something hideous, reptillian, vengeful. Stunned by Autumn’s telepathic attack, Sexton cannot continue to suppress the overwhelming magical aura of a centuries-old Dragon. Just as with Dalavar in Hong Kong, the magical energies overwhelm natural magi, cancelling their powers.

All the knights except Cai groan in a moments pain as they feel the Dragon’s aura. The ghosts scream in panic, the overwhelming energy briefly blocking their connection to the ones they had bonded to. Goghei screams also, clutching his head. Autumn staggers back, covering her face with her arms as the backlash of her mental attack stuns her. In Hong Kong, the aura of a dead Dragon was enough to drive Dalavar into unconsciousness. It’s amazing that Autumn is still standing. In a second, it ends, and the knights recover.

But Autumn stands weakly in the center aisle, holding herself up on one of the benches. She puts a hand to her forehead, her eyes wide. “It’s so . . . quiet. What did you do to me?!”

She turns to look at Sexton, who is gripping the cloth of the pulpit in both hands. The man turns apologetic. “You shouldn’t have done that. It hurt me too. I’m-, I’m sorry.”

Autumn wails in despair and turns to run, stumbling in her high heels.

Brian, who was murdered by Autumn, yells at Tagin that she’s vulnerable for once, and they have to stop her before she gets away and recovers. Tagin begins to run after her, and the others recover from the mental attack and begin to follow, when Sexton gasps.

“No. He’s here.”

Tagin has already reached the door, but between him and the others, Michael leaps from the clerestory, his white coat fluttering as he lands easily in the central aisle. He holds an ignited lightblade scimitar, and narrows his eyes angrily, staring past the knights, toward a cowering Sexton.

When Michael speaks, his voice carries a different timbre. Something extra, archaic in his voice. “I’ve tired of taunting the wyrm; he’ll provide no sport. But you, you are traitors to your own people.”

Michael rushes forward, raising his scimitar to strike at Jenny. Tagin begins to run after Michael, but Cai shouts at him, tossing something through the air toward him. “Go stop Autumn! Take that whore down! We’ll handle this one!”

Tagin skids to a stop nervously and catches what Cai had thrown him. A clip of bullets, humming with faint magical energy. He looks on in dismay as Michael’s arcing slashes buffet Jenny’s defenses, but he forces himself to run after Autumn, snapping the clip of enchanted bullets—Keira’s clip—into his pistol.

He sprints out the front of the church, chasing after the fading noise of a staggering Elvish telepath.

Inside the church, those with ghosts can see the flaring red spectral image of Legion, the ghost bonded with and controlling Michael. While Michael’s body spins his blade dramatically downward, viciously trying to chop through Jenny’s defenses, Legion hovers close to Michael, turning his magical might upon the only obvious magi in the room.

Goghei falls to the floor, hissing and snarling as images of murder, agony, and death burst through his mind. Driven mad by Legion’s power, Goghei snaps, just like Sahkrekal did hundreds of years ago. Well, perhaps not quite like Sahkrekal did.

Goghei falls into a more bestial posture, snarling and swinging his head about, sniffing for the magic. Then, with a gurgling hiss, he begins to run four-legged across the tops of the church pews toward Michael. He pounces onto the man, clawing at his face and smashing him with the tip of his tail. Jenny takes the moment’s respite to move away and give Cai room to try to fight. Finagle fires a short arrow of electicity at Michael, and Herbie swoops in and buffets Michael on the head with his wings.

Madeline, standing invisible in the balcony above, creeps up and fires a pair of magic missiles at the possessed man. Jenny, busy getting her bow ready, shouts that they need to knock him unconscious, but not kill him. As far as they can tell, Legion can only jump when the original host is dead.

When Legion hears this he laughs, and with his off hand he fires a lightning bolt that skims across Cai’s torso and catches Jenny in the face, spinning her backward to the ground, where she struggles to remain conscious.

Cai gets only a few small hits on Michael, but Goghei fares better, repeating his vaulting attack to wound the possessed paladin while in midair. Herbie swoops in again and lands on Michael’s arm to bite him, but can’t get through the coat. Finagle tends to Jenny, casting an endure elements spell on her as a mild precaution. Madeline tries to fire a magical bolt from her wrist crossbow, but the wild magic reacts strangely and she ends up shooting a small sparrow at Michael, that begins to claw at him feebly.

Legion, frustrated at being nibbled at by puny creatures, has Michael wait to attack the lizard man when he gets close enough. Legion himself, able to act separately of Michael’s body, channels magic onto his host, which Finagle’s uncle recognizes as almost the same magic Finagle had just used on Jenny. But why would Legion be casting endure elements on himself?

Finagle shouts for everyone to get away from Michael, but Cai is too busy fighting to listen to the young kid, and continues trying to beat through the much more experienced warrior’s defenses. When Goghei again tries his leaping claw attack, Michael raises his sword directly in the lizard man’s path and gashes deeply into Goghei’s chest. Out of momentum, the monk falls to the ground, struggling to get back up and keep fighting.

Cai sees a sudden red flare in Michael’s left hand, shimmering an incandescent red. Deciding too late to take Finagle’s advice, Cai tries to leap away but is caught by the blast of a concussive fireball. The explosion slams Cai into one of the pews, singes away flesh and scales from Goghei, shatters the floor beneath Madeline, roasts the sparrow from her crossbow, and nearly kills Herbie, who weakly glides away to take cover under a pew. Madeline leaps and uses spiderclimb to hold onto the edge of the balcony, but she decides to drop and help her friends as best she can.

She lands heavily, too close to Michael (who was unharmed by the fireball), and gets slashed on her arm for her error. She sprints away desperately, trying to fire more magic missiles at Michael. Finagle runs forward to help Cai off the ground, and Jenny pulls up her bow and beings firing at Michael to keep him back. Michael dodges the arrows, trying to coup de grace Goghei, but he’s too busy avoiding missiles to get a good hit in, and Goghei rolls out of reach.

Michael takes cover behind a pew, and Jenny, too tired to run fast, stands still and waits for him to emerge. Legion apparently realizes that Jenny’s in no condition to dodge, and as he stands his hand begins to crackle with electrical energy. Finagle sees the attack a moment before it goes off, and he leaps into its path as a stroke of lightning crashes across the room toward Jenny. Finagle takes it square in the chest, and lands heavily at Jenny’s feet.

Jenny hesitates, unsure whether to go to Finagle’s aid or fire another again at Michael. Goghei solves this for Jenny when he furiously leaps up from the pew behind Michael and tries to pull the possessed knight into a headlock.

Jenny kneels quickly beside Finagle, taking a moment to throw a caustic glance at Sexton. The man, if he really did hate Legion so much, could become a Dragon and save all their lives, but instead he cowers in fear, only shaking his head.

Sexton sees Jenny’s eyes and tries to say something to her, but Jenny ignores him, turning her attention back on Finagle. Finagle, however, seems to have gotten away unscathed. His own affinity to electricity has protected him, but his spellbook is fried, sputtering and unusable.

Jenny pulls Finagle to his feet while Madeline and Cai try to get close to Michael, who is being grappled by Goghei. Just as they get near, Michael plants a palm onto Goghei’s cranium and chill touches the lizard man to unconsciousness.

Michael glances at those still weakly standing, and he calmly holds his sword ready.

Outside, Tagin refuses Brian’s shouts to shoot at Autumn. Though almost unable to see in the dark beneath the trees, Tagin can follow the moving silhouette of Autumn. After half a minute of chasing, Autumn slows, seemingly to catch her breath against a tree, but as Tagin nears her he feels her trying to worm her way into his subconscious.

Brian, by now having figured out how to link closely with Tagin, shifts the attack to himself, and the ghost begins to cry in remembered agony as Autumn sifts through his mind. He hears the woman chuckle softly, but as he finally comes into her view she gasps in surprise, apparently thinking she had been psychically attacking Tagin.

The woman is still haggard and wide-eyed, but she does not give up. She draws a pistol and fires at Tagin, but he ducks behind a tree. He can hear Brian groaning in pain, sounding perfectly like a groaning spirit, and he realizes that Brian is no help.

His ghost bonded with you?” Autumn rasps quietly to Tagin. “Even in death he could never do anything right.”

Tagin leaps and takes cover behind another tree, dodging another shot from Autumn. She continues to mock him, her voice coming in exhausted gasps from the exertion of running. “He did you a favor, Sean. He gave you a chance to run. I’ll give you that chance too. Whatever that Dragon did to me is no longer a problem.”

Tagin pulls out his switchblade, turning on the safety of the pistol and tucking it into his pants. He recognizes that she’s lying. He hears the fear in her voice.

“I’ll even,” Autumn offers, “get rid of Brian for you. I know how much you don’t want his depressing ego hanging around you for the rest of your life.”

Tagin feels the tree shudder beside him as Autumn fires a bullet into it. Cringing, Tagin shouts into the trees, “Brian, get ahold of yourself. You’re already dead, so stop whining!”

Autumn laughs, and Tagin hears her circle around the tree for a clear shot. Oddly, her voice comes from the opposite side of the tree, some kind of psychic projection. Tagin wavers, uncertain which way to move. He sprints for another tree, staying on the move, even as Autumn follows him.

“Well, Sean? Drop the gun, run away, and you’ll be able to go back to your meaningless life, free from the Bureau. No one will ever notice you ever again. You don’t want to be famous, or a hero. You just want your life back.”

Tagin hears a pained groan in his head, Brian’s voice. Autumn’s movement and voice, disparate, drown out what the ghost is trying to say.

“Your life alone,” Autumn continues, breathing more regularly now. “This matter never concerned you in the first place. It was Brian that dragged you into this, making you a target for Legion. If you leave now, I promise I’ll make sure Legion never finds. He’ll never even care that you existed.”

From within the church a huge thunder reverberates, and a red glow briefly fills the darkness between the trees. Tagin hears a scream, Madeline’s or Jenny’s, desperate, in pain.

“What about the others?” Tagin asks, feeling a cloying weight pressing in on his senses, cutting him off from what Brian’s trying to tell him.

“Oh, so you do speak?” Autumn laughs. “Either way, I know you more deeply than you know yourself. You don’t care about the others. You need to go your own way. Why don’t you leave? I promise you, by tomorrow you’ll have forgotten this ever happened.”

Tagin glowers, eyes wide in disgust at the sound of Autumn’s voice. But he doesn’t know where the voice is coming from. He tries to fight her out of his head, and when her voice comes again, it sounds surprised.

“I don’t know why you’re fighting me. I’ve never done anything to hurt you.”

A sudden mist fills the forest, and in surprise Autumn gasps and sounds like she’s stumbling away. Both her voice and her movement now in the same place. Tagin leaps from the cover of the tree and sprints through the mist toward the noise, jumping and tackling the slender silhouette before him.

Tagin crashes into Autumn, shoves her to the ground. Her eyes are wide with panic, and her face strained from trying to use her power but failing. She stops struggling and stares into his eyes as Tagin draws the pistol and places it to her head.

“You killed my friend,” Tagin shouts at her. Brian shouts for him to kill her and Tagin’s finger twitches.

Then, in a shout of disgust, he slams the metal of the pistol into her temple and knocks the woman unconscious. He hits her once again for good measure, and then without a word to Brian he speeds off toward the church.

Michael forces his way back into the relatively open area of the central aisle. His flashing sword shoves Cai backward, and horrible nightmare images confront Finagle, trying to phantasmally kill him. Madeline finally realizes that some spell Michael has is blocking her magic missiles, so she waits for an opening to taser the man.

Herbie’s high-pitched shouts of “smite the evil!” help Finagle overcome his fears of the illusionary monsters, and so he’s of right mind enough to see when Tagin reappears in the main doorway. Of course, he’s not smart enough to keep quiet, so he shouts an encouraging, “Go Tagin!”

Michael glances back at the recently entered hacker and hurls a fireball toward the entry to the church. It sets the door aflame, but being a 3rd level rogue with evasion saves Tagin as he ducks behind the cover of a pew.

Jenny, unable to get a clear shot at Michael because he’s shorter than Cai (and Cai is in the way), tries one last time to get Sexton to help. She tells him how they’re all going to die, how the church will burn and Legion will kill millions if he gets free. Sexton just whimpers, and Jenny starts to stalk off, giving up on him. She readies her spear and steels herself for her final fight, when Sexton says something unexpected.

“You’re right. He-, he must be stopped.”

Jenny stops and turns, seeing him staring intently at the pew’s cloth, which he holds in his hands. She rushes back to him to see if he will indeed help.

Unfortunately, in the meanwhile Cai is getting tired from the ongoing fight. Michael has stopped attacking them directly, and simply parries all of Cai’s attacks, blocks all of Madeline or Finagle’s spells.

Michael begins to speak during the battle, his voice tinged with the spirit of Legion. “You won’t get away, demon. The first time you killed me I was helpless.”

Michael ducks one of Cai’s attacks, then disarms the man with his scimitar and shoves him to the ground with a gust of wind.

Tagin begins to run up behind Michael, gun and switchblade in hand. Michael advances toward Sexton and Jenny.

“The second time you killed me, I was careless.” At Legion’s command, a snaky arm of stone lashes out from the floor and wraps around Tagin’s leg, holding him fast. Madeline tries to taser Michael, but the possessed knight simply bats her aside. Only Jenny and Finagle stand between him and Sahkrekal.

“This time,” Legion states, “you will pay for all those who you murdered.”

Jenny helps Sexton to his feet, and the frightened man weakly says, “You are the murderer.”

Michael raises his sword to leap out and strike down Sexton, but Jenny throws out her hand, snapping her necklace as she thrusts out her cross. Michael begins to shout in denial, but he suddenly goes weak, falling forward and collapsing to the floor. Briefly, everyone in the room can see the spirit of Legion burst from Michael’s body, then hover for a moment before it vanishes.

The knights all exchange surprised glances at how it had worked. Jenny turns to Sexton, amazed. “That did it? Legion is gone?”

Sexton shakes his head desperately. “No. No! No! He’ll just take someone else! Please no!”

Though shakin his head in denial, Sexton staggers toward Michael’s fallen body, staring down at something only he can see. His eyes close and his mouth tenses in fright, and then Sexton passes out, falling to the floor with a groan.

There is a general consensus of “what the hell?”s going around, and Jenny limps over to Sexton. Finagle runs to try to break Tagin free of the stone arm holding him, and Madeline and Cai begin tying up Michael with his own coat.

Jenny is kneeling next to Sexton, about to put a hand to his face, when the man’s eyes snap open, crackling with flame.

As Sexton pushes himself off the ground, he lashes out with a hand and claws Jenny across the chest, digging in only shallowly with nails turned to black claws. Jenny shrieks in panic and leaps away, and everyone turns to Sexton in shock.

He begins to laugh, his voice tinged with the same odd timbre Michael had while possessed with Legion. “Oh, God! I never realized how powerful you bastards were. You’ll help me destroy . . . dest-”

Sexton hunches over, his voice back to normal. “No. Please stop him before he-”

They hesitate momentarily, realizing that Sexton and Legion are vying for control of the Dragon’s body. Jenny tries to again help Sexton, but this time she’s ready when Legion takes over again, and doesn’t get clawed. The knights’ ghosts begin to shout in pain again, the same pain they felt from Sahkrekal’s draconic aura. The aura of a centuries old Dragon crashes through the church, stunning everyone present. Even Sexton falls to his knees, falling silent.

When Legion speaks again, his voice is panicked. “What did you do?! I can’t use any of my power.”

Sexton pushes himself to his feet, his body contorted as two souls struggle to command it. One of Sexton’s hands lashes out toward Jenny, trying to fire another lightning bolt, but nothing happens, and Sexton laughs weakly.

Legion takes over again. “Damn you!” he screams. “I don’t need it. Your body alone is powerful enough!”

Cai runs forward to try to tackle him, but the balding priest opens his mouth and spits a gout of flame, driving Cai back. Legion, though unable to use any of his own magic because of the Dragon’s aura, is almost in control of Sahkrekal’s natural draconic powers.

The back of Sexton’s shirt begins to tear as small scaled wings stretch out from his flesh. Jenny shouts at Sexton to try to get him to take control again, but at those instants Sexton does have control he just shouts that he’s not a Dragon, and that he never wants to be one. Legion seems to be winning, just driving Sexton more and more mad as he loses control.

Legion in a draconic Sexton leaps forward and laughs in ecstasy at his power as he claws at Madeline, forcing her to run away. Jenny grabs her spear and tries to hold the man at bay, but an incredibly strong swipe knocks the weapon from her grasp. Legion is about to pounce upon her when he doubles over, clutching his stomach.

Sexton’s face turns up to Jenny, and with pleading eyes he says, “I don’t want to become a demon again. Please . . . stop me.”

Legion takes control again, opens his mouth to incinerate Jenny.

“Jenny, duck!” Tagin shouts, and as she leaps away Tagin fires a shot from the pistol. The enchanted bullet snaps into Sexton’s arm and knocks him back, then explodes into a crackling sphere of electricity.

Jenny clambers backward desperately, staying low as Legion tries to leap for her again. Tagin fires another shot from the gun, hitting Legion in the chest and knocking him down.

Sexton’s misshappen body relaxes, and Sexton’s voice softly says to Tagin, “Thank you.”

Legion takes control for the last seconds of Sexton’s life, roaring in panic, flames licking across his body. With the Dragon’s aura stopping his magic, he can’t escape his current host. He chokes in pain and desperation, and gets out a pleased, “At least I took you with me, you murderer,” before he dies.

Cai remembers what happened the last time a Dragon died, and he shouts for everyone to run. They grab the wounded—Michael, Goghei, and to a lesser extent Herbie—and sprint for the doors. Behind them they hear pews being shoved against each other, shattering thunderously. Glancing back, Tagin and Jenny see the quickly expanding body of a now dead and reverting ancient wyrm red Dragon bursting through the walls of the old church. Stones and glass come falling down, and as the impact tears into Sahkrekal’s body, flames gout out, demolishing the church in an explosion that fills the night sky.

Debris flies around them, knocking them to the ground. When they get back to their feet, they find that what little of the church wasn’t destroyed by Sexton’s reversion to Dragon form is now being burnt to the ground.

Jenny says a prayer for Sexton, and Legion, and they tend to Michael and Goghei. Tagin goes off to check on Autumn, and finds her with a terrible headache, but seemingly far less vicious now that Legion is no longer controlling her. Cai can’t find his own cel phone, and everyone else’s was damaged in the explosion, so he ends up borrowing a cel phone from one of the Atlanta citizens who comes out to see what’s going on. He makes a call to the ‘Fire Department,’ and tells them that there’s a major clean-up job they’ll want to take a look at.

Too tired to bother keeping onlookers away, the knights slump to the ground to wait for the Bureau to show up. It takes over an hour, but when the Bureau finally does, the Chief sends a message that he knows something strange controlled him, and he’d like to talk to them as soon as possible to find out what. Michael and Autumn are taken off for medical and psychiatric care.

And Goghei?

When they look for him, the only lead they get is that a man says he was mugged by a huge dark person with a strange lisp, who took his jacket and disappeared into the alleys. The insanity, they hope, isn’t permanent.

To be concluded tomorrow.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Wonderful!
Epic!
I love it!

My only complaint is having to wait until tomorrow for the (I hope) happy end...

Last edited:

Night Owl, I almost missed your post, since you posted while I was updating. *sheepish grin*

I realized that I'd left an important part out of the link. It should've been www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/Savannah_Knights/Savannah_Knights.html

I've changed it on the first page too. Bear in mind that the website hasn't been updated for a long time, though I intend to update it with all the rules information I've posted on this thread. That might take until the end of the month, though.

Do you have any requests or questions? Tonight will probably be the last time I update this thread, except to bump it maybe once a month, so if you have anything you want to know, you'd better ask it now.

Denoument

The end of the story is in full prose format, and is too long to post on these boards. I'll provide a link here.

http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/Savannah_Knights/Renewed_Spirits.doc

That's in .doc format.

And here is the .rtf format.

http://www.geocities.com/rangerwickett/Savannah_Knights/Renewed_Spirits.rtf

I gladly welcome comments. I've tried very hard to update this storyhour regularly, and I want to know that shirking on my homework and sleep has not been in vain. I'll post my closing thoughts tomorrow night, and then that'll be it for this storyhour.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
I don't know very well what to say, RangerWicket. It has been really wonderful to read every morning your (well, Jessie's) wonderful story hour. I have really liked it, and it has also opened my mind about present time D&D games. It have given me wonderful images and lots of ideas that I will use in my future games.

I think I've got semething to say at last...

Thanks!

Thanks for your story, thanks for updating it.

The last part was really good! I love the end.

The campaing ended like that? Did you never continue it? Why, if I can ask it?

Last edited:

Fade

First Post
It's been fun, but I've read it through several times already, so it really doesn't have the same impact. You've had plenty of fanboys in the various incarnations of your story hour though! (Including me. I was hanging on your every post on the 2nd forums!)

Remove ads