Saves Treaty starts with Overhauling Defense

DonTadow

First Post
So, the saves and defense discussion has gotten me thinking. And over the course of a 2 hour boring meeting at work, I figured out something that i think could work for both sides and addressing hte only reason for making a new edition, to get new rpgers into the game.

I've said before, character creation ease is the most important. Symmetry is important.

One of the things that always comes up when i introduce new players is there understanding of saves. What ability goes into what save is always a question of contention. I felt 4e started on a great path with this.

I like the idea of save defences. So what if, every ability had a related defense. I doodled this in the meeting
STR = Physical Defense/Armor Class
DEX = Reflex Defense
CON = Fortitude Defense
INT = Awareness Defense
WIS = Will Defense
CHA = Magic/Soul Defense

Whenever you make a physical attack if you beat the AC and DEX you score full damage. 1 or the other half damage.

Whenever you make a magic attack and you beat the defense the spell indicates and Magic/Soul Defense, another effect takes place (or the full effect of the spell). Else its half the spell or another effect.

If we wanted to complicate it a bit, Physical attack defenses different based on the type of physical attack.
PIercing attacks = STR, and INT
Stabbing someone with a weapon designed for it is often so fast, that speed would not matter, but being aware of where the blade is coming from will.

Slashing weapons = STR and DEX
(default)

Bludgeioning weapons = DEX and CON
Because a hammer carries its own weight

With this, you could eliminate spell inconsitency and having some spells save for half and others not.

This would also really aid in restructuring the diplomacy/bluff/intimidate rules. Allowing the rolls to oppose directly the ability score with simple bonuses if the person likes you or doesnt like you. (i feel like the rules now are like a high school cafeteria.)

Also, you can get away from the touch AC rules, another confusing method.

Armor works as normal, adding only to physical attack defenses in attack situations.

Crazy?

Last edited:

Frostmarrow

First Post
Interesting take. What if we drop the defenses all together and instead say that Str, Int and Cha are offensive abilities and Con, Dex and Wis are defensive abilities.

Melee combat pits Str vs Con.
Ranged combat pits Int vs Dex.
Magic pits Cha vs Wis.

Plus special variants and other effects such as Str allowing you to wear more armor (increasing Con) and Dex allowing you to reload faster (increasing Int).

It meets your criteria of being easy and symmetric.

Remove ads