• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scar Ripper

Corbert

Explorer
Ok, I think there is a spell out there that is similar to this, but I can't find it anywhere. Plus, I think the other spell does a certain amount of dice of damage in stead of a set amount per level like mine, so, is this unique enough, or just derivative?

Scar Ripper
(evocation?)
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: short 25 feet + 5 feet per level
Target: one creature
Duration: 1 round per level
Saving Throw: Fort Partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell causes old wounds and scars to open and bleed. Creatures with more hit dice generally have had more violent experiences in their lives, and so have more scars.

For each hit die a creature possesses, it loses one hit point per round for the duration of the spell. Round all fractions down. A successful Fort save reduces the damage and duration to half. So, a 6th level fighter hit with this spell cast by a 10th level wizard takes 6 points of damage each round for 10 rounds on a failed save, and 3 points of damage for 5 rounds on a successful save.

Any cure spell applied to the target will cause this spell to end immediately.

At first glance it looks broken
10 rounds will kill most wizards even if they pass they're saves
12 will get rogues
16 will get fighters
18 will get barbarians

Half that if they fail

Clerics are immune. Anyone with a cleric in the party is immune...

Very limited use but when it can be used it's broken

Corbert

Explorer
Actually, if the party has a cleric, anyone affected will only take damage for 1 - 2 rounds tops. I put that in there so it wouldn't be lethal. Even if a party doesn't have a cleric, I've decided that any healing effect; spell, potion, psionic power, will end the spell effect. That said, here is the revision.

Scar Ripper
(evocation?)
Duration: 1 round per level

This spell causes old wounds and scars to open and bleed. Creatures with more hit dice generally have had more violent experiences in their lives, and so have more scars.

For each hit die a creature possesses, it loses one hit point per round for the duration of the spell. Round all fractions down. A successful Fort save reduces the damage and duration to half. So, a 6th level fighter hit with this spell cast by a 10th level wizard takes 6 points of damage each round for 10 rounds on a failed save, and 3 points of damage for 5 rounds on a successful save.

Any healing effect applied to the target will cause this spell to end immediately.

Edit: if I get more people telling me the spell is broken then I just won't use it in my game.

Last edited:

Add or a heal check DC whatever
Change it so that it deals damage for only one round on a succesful save
Make it Necromancy

Alternatively
Make it deal damage based on the amount of damage a PC has taken in the past

maybe 1/10 of the damage spread out over 5 rounds to a maximum of 10*(the casters level+key ability modifier)(this version would only work on PCs)

Corbert

Explorer
magic_gathering2001 said:
Change it so that it deals damage for only one round on a succesful save
Make it Necromancy

I think that works great.

Scar Ripper
(Necromancy)
Duration: 1 round per level or 1 round (see text)

For each hit die a creature possesses, it loses one hit point per round for the duration of the spell. Round all fractions down. So, a 6th level fighter hit with this spell cast by a 10th level wizard takes 6 points of damage each round for 10 rounds on a failed save, and 6 points of damage for 1 round on a successful save.

Any healing effect applied to the target will cause this spell to end immediately.

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Seems broken to me.
let's assume the standard of d8 hit points.
If the subject has maximum hitpoints
any caster of level 8 could kill any creature with d8's with this spell. (note the starting caster level is 7th - 4th level spell)
That's all that needs to be said.

Possible (major) changes.
Range:Touch attack or ranged tough attack (fairly standard for necromacy)
duration: 1 round per 2 levels max of 6 rounds
Fort: save=half damage
Damage: 1 hp for every hit dice for standard creatures/classes. Exception- half damage for rogues, bards, wizards, sorcerer as they are less likely to engage in combat and have scars (anything that has lower then d8)

I'm not sure if this is enough.
A 12th level caster cast's this on a 10th lvel fighter ( 55 hp let's say)
Fighter loses 10 hp per round.
first round 45hp
2nd round 35hp
3rd round 25hp
4th round 15hp
5th round 5 hp
6th round dying - note that this should hold true for all levels (not first though - yeah for max hp)

It'd be worst for characters with less then d10s

perhaps some sort of staggerd constitution save to stop the bleeding?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads