• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Scarred Lands: Ask the Sage [This keeps up, I'm gonna need a bigger notebook!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickstergod

First Post
Quite the amusing post there, Eryndel.

But, now for my own comments back towards Grumpy there and input and answers to the matter.

The moons of Scarn do not, in fact, influence the tides of Scarn. Leastways, not directly. The goddess of the sea for the setting, Manawe, has control over the tides, to do with, more or less, as she pleases.

As it so happens, though, the tides follow the lunar cycle of Belsameth's moon, as Manawe's form of honoring her half-sister, that selfsame Belsameth. So the moon sort of influences the tides...sort of.

As for the sun, big, yellow orb. It's part the general "Things taken for granted, and because they don't differ from the norm, aren't detailed." Unless a setting specifically says otherwise, well, hey, hey, I generally go with details like "What color is the sun and sky?" to be answerable by "Go look outside around noon-time, real world-wise." Perhaps you believe it should be detailed; I personally believe some things can be taken for granted without difficulty. Unless something is different, it needn't necessarily be explained. I don't find setting details like "The sun is yellow. The sky is blue" to be important.

And yes, there's a sea of blood, caused by the titan currently chained to the bottom of the ocean, impossible to kill, thus constantly bleeding out into the ocean where his heart once was.

As for Eryndel's explanation, the blood monsoon's actually to be blamed on magic...but I get the feeling you may not be one much up for that. However, if that's the case, there does tend to be an explanation for a number of the occurences within the Scarred Lands, if not always - in fact, not even often - scientific.

And no, the whole world isn't mapped out yet. Then again, it's being done one continent at a time. Besides, it's better to detail each part of the world one piece at a time rather then give a broad world map ahead of time that limits the creativity of the writers later down the road.

However, I will add that what's been mapped out thus far isn't always so great. In fact, some of the writers and map-makers could've done with maybe three minutes of poking through Google and Wikipedia to check on a few things when writing up distances or the like for things such as, say, the Blood Sea that was brought up. I was annoyed by it and I'm not even such a stickler for certain properties such as the tides as you seem to be.

But, in regards to that, you actually care for a sales pitch? Well, let's see then. Maybe this will do something. Not that it really needs to be; but, I might as well humor myself, if no one else.

The Scarred Lands is, quite possibly, the best fitting setting out there for third edition (and 3.5, not that, in this instance, that it makes much of a difference) D&D. Unlike the Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance or the like, the Scarred Lands was written with 3rd edition in mind. Sorcerers bear a place in there, the arcane and divine division is an integral part to the setting, druids being more then specialty clerics is taken into account and so on.

For that matter, the geography is, at times, a bit screwy. However, that's one of the points and premises of the setting to begin with. It's in the very name itself, for that matter - the Scarred Lands. The world suffered at the ravages and whims of the titans, creating and destroying with little regard for what they did. You might feel that to be a cop out, but it's one of the most integral parts to the setting, a foundation upon which it is built. The world is screwy and screwed up and in dire need of healing and repair. Thus, oddities that may not jive with weather patterns, geographic tendencies, fault lines, whatever, all bear some explanation as to why.

It may not be an answer that satisfies you, but it is there all the same and it's not simply an aside thrown in as a lame excuse for geography flubs that you might attribute to Greyhawk or the like. Instead, these inconsistencies are deliberately a part of the setting, part of the setting name itself.

These inconsistencies, to a degree, are merely part of the god and titan schism that exists within the setting. Although not too strongly influenced by Greek mythology, it is still there, and follows suit in some regards. Atlas doesn't hold up the world, but ideas like that - one's that obviously don't hold up to modern day knowledge, but are still a part of our past and mythology, part of the essence of fantasy. The Blood Sea is almost reminiscent of Promethus; the titan Kadum had his heart torn out, yet immortal as he is, it didn't kill him. So now he sits at the bottom of the ocean, having been bound to a great rock and tossed there, his blood ever-flowing from wounds that will not close, in constant anguish, unable to die.

Now, that's just barely brushing over the setting. It truthfully isn't for everyone. This honestly wasn't my most fervent of sales pitches. You seem well decided on the matter already and, I'll further add, I don't find many of the books that worthwhile. A good deal, however, pique my interest. So, there you have it, for the moment, at least from me.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Trickstergod said:
This honestly wasn't my most fervent of sales pitches.
Well it might not be your most fervent Trick but it was from the heart. That's good enough for most anyone.

Last edited:

dnddreamer70

First Post
In the Appendix of Hollowfaust, there is a subrace of Ratmen called Fire Spitters. In the picture of the creature they have a Flame-torch like weapon shaped like a gun...but I can't find any information about the weapon.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about and where this weapon and stats can be found?

Nightfall

I'm familiar with what you're speaking of. I think that's just an artist's idea of what a Fire Spitter uses. I've checked Warrens of the Ratmen, and other sources. So far I found no evidence of any Fire spitter type weapon at all. If you want to use it some how, my advice is make an alchemist fire type weapon that bursts for 2d4 damage, line 10 feet long, 5 feet wide. That help?

Ruined

Explorer
So I happened to look through the Sword & Sorcery Quarterly for the next few months, and I found absolutely no SL material listed. Say it isn't so... I know they've been quite prolific over the past few months, but I was hoping for something on the horizon. So what is next? Asherak Campaign Setting?

dnddreamer70

First Post
Nightfall said:
I'm familiar with what you're speaking of. I think that's just an artist's idea of what a Fire Spitter uses. I've checked Warrens of the Ratmen, and other sources. So far I found no evidence of any Fire spitter type weapon at all. If you want to use it some how, my advice is make an alchemist fire type weapon that bursts for 2d4 damage, line 10 feet long, 5 feet wide. That help?

Helps enough...that is along the same lines as I was going to design it. But, I was just hopeing that SSS would have created it in the game books. I don't own Warrens of the Ratmen, so it was great for you to include that piece of information.

Nightfall

No problem DnD. Like I said I checked the Player's Guide to Fighters, Warrens of the Ratmen, nada. None of those sources had it.

Ruined,

Wish I could say it isn't but so far it sure looks like it. No idea about SLCS: Asherak or anything else. My only guess is S&SS/WW is very focused on WoD and their other lines that this causes their finite resources to be stretched very thin indeed. That's my only guess.

Trickstergod

First Post
Just as an aside to those with worries about the Scarred Lands products, while there does seem to be a woeful dearth of them in the days to come until December, Joe has mentioned he's in development on the setting still, and currently working on a new Scarred Lands project.

Whatever it may specifically be, I can't say, but hopefully it alleviates the worries about there being no Scarred Lands products for the next six or so months.

Nightfall

Gee I get beaten to the punch by Trick. The world is coming to an end. ;)

Just kidding Trick. What ever you have to add is always worth while. Even if I don't always agree with it.

Nightfall

In other news, I'm restarting my Scarred Lands online mIRC chat campaigns based in Termana.

I got room folks. Mondays at 8pm EST and Tuesdays also at 8pm EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads