Scavenger's Guide to Droids

Kinda surprised/disappointed a thread's not around for this book.

Especially as it's a really nice supplement for droid fans, with a much simpler set of rules for creating droid PCs; pretty much pick a "model" template" much like choosing a race, which provides all your default droid gear. Also new droid talents (building off the droid talent trees introduced in Force Unleashed) and plenty of new toys.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Yeah, I really like this book. The droids as races and the manufacturer traits are really nice. And as I introduced the book on our last game night, the group's droid PC got rebuilt using this system.

Oh, and just a sidenote. I wanted to thank you for your NPC list Donovan. Saved my day as I really needed to improvise half the adventure on friday.

Ambrus

Explorer
I flipped through this book at my FLGS yesterday; a must buy for any droid player. As a longtime adherent of the droids-are-the-real-heroes-of-the-Star-Wars-universe school of thought this book was long overdue in my opinion. :cool:

The Green Adam

First Post
While I thought the book had a nice section on modifications and such I was disappointed with the book as a Star Wars Droid fan.

For a universe where the original three films had only one or two combat Droids and we've already gotten the stats for the droids of the Clone Wars era, I was astounded by how many Droids in this book were fighting machines.

It seemed to me a very uncreative collection of robots. Droids in the Star Wars universe fill a thousand and one niches and most of the Droids in this book fill one niche - Kill stuff. I was hoping for more diversity.

AD
Barking Alien

For a universe where the original three films had only one or two combat Droids and we've already gotten the stats for the droids of the Clone Wars era, I was astounded by how many Droids in this book were fighting machines[./QUOTE]
I think a part of that is due to the book also being something akin to a Monster Manual, sort of like Threats of the Galaxy, only with more player-based crunch included.

While one might very well want droids of all sorts of different stripes (for which I can't fault you in the slightest), unfortunately most non-combat droids tend to fall into the category of "scenery" and thus it may be that no more thought is given to writing stats for those types of droids than writing stats for trees. Not saying I agree with that approach (as I myself would like to see a wide array of droids for various non-combat functions), but I can see where Rodney was coming from on this one.

Blackrat,
You're quite welcome.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'll have to check it out, but I want to see if they cover droid roles like R2 units and medical units, translators, and other jobs. Ye floating ball repair droid could also be handy, though interesting as a PC option (ball + blaster = flying 3d8dmg ranged?!).

If there are a lot of combat droids, how many of them are Clone Wars era separatist models? That does make sense, as stats for those will be useful. Once that era's past, though, I can understand the need for maintenance droids, perhaps Nav computers in a mobile body, that sort of thing.

My question: how do you run Cybernetics and droids in Star Wars? And would d20 Future's Cybernetics rules fit in well witht he stuff in this book?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Actually, I think you're doing it wrong if you're looking at the listed droids and going "What I can't play these."

The big meat of the book for the player is the new droid creation rules. They don't need to have half a dozen astromech droids for you to choose from, because now you can much more easily make your own.

Remove ads