• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Scooping morrus on the site

Speaking as a software engineer I'll say this, it doesn't really matter which set of rules you are building these tools for. Some might be a little easier than others, but in the grand scheme of things the "make this feat, power, class, whatever work" part of it is only one small part of the total equation. If they are having problems making a 4e Character Builder then switching to some '5e' ruleset isn't going to make that go faster.

I think your logic is basically correct. They can't even contemplate releasing a 5e without tool support, and if it took them so far 3 years and probably 5 years by the time they're done just to get a CB and MB that have good features, then we are a LONG ways from 5e just on that score, and you can't START on DDI tools for a rule set that isn't already set pretty much in stone. So for 2013 to be the LAUNCH of 5e, they really would have to already have the game finished NOW. Rules set in stone, not going to change level of done. If that were the case what would it exactly be that MM would be talking about in his column?

In this case I'm just going to have say I think Morris is wrong. I am sure he has good connections, but either someone is feeding him a line, or someone reliable is just wrong. It happens. The only other theory I can come up with is someone somewhere has an interest in the rumor that 5e is on the way. I'd be looking in that direction for the source of such rumors.

So Morris, what do I have to promise to make my icon look like? The bet is on, no 5e ANNOUNCEMENT before 2013. That's my bet. I'll put on a side bet that there's no 5e branding either.

WotC_Trevor

First Post
Just wanted to pop in to eliminate any confusion. While I can understand where this kind of thing is coming from with all the theory-crafting that goes on, especially before GenCon, we talked about all the points/topics that we planned on In the seminars and interviews at the con.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Just wanted to pop in to eliminate any confusion. While I can understand where this kind of thing is coming from with all the theory-crafting that goes on, especially before GenCon, we talked about all the points/topics that we planned on In the seminars and interviews at the con.

Of course you wouldn't tell us if there was something else. ;)

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I wouldn't ;) But in that case, I also wouldn't come on and clear up anything at all - I'd just stay silent.

In all honesty, it would have been better if you had kept silent because now that you said something it looks like because someone like Morrus heard something and actually put it out there that you are trying to dismiss it because he could have heard more than just a rumor.

Scribble

First Post
In all honesty, it would have been better if you had kept silent because now that you said something it looks like because someone like Morrus heard something and actually put it out there that you are trying to dismiss it because he could have heard more than just a rumor.

On the other hand, you could just take him at his word.

Riastlin

First Post
Thank you trevor... now if WotC would just relase an offical statement telling people they are crazy...

Well, they would only release that statement if in fact they knew that the rumors were true and thus, had to say something to throw people off the trail of the truth. They can't have their big surprise getting all ruined and everything. If there really isn't anything to hide, then they don't need to say anything at all obviously.

Shoot, I'm out of tinfoil. Hopefully the corner store got a case in today.

Remove ads